Rising food prices hit the poor - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... hich-finds

Three in 10 single parent households surveyed said they had missed meals as a consequence of runaway food prices. That compared with one in seven parents in couples and an overall figure of 14% in the poll by the consumer group Which?

“Our research has found that families across the UK are struggling with the rising cost of living, with single parents most likely to be skipping meals or turning to food banks to make ends meet,” said Rocio Concha, its director of policy and advocacy.

Our food banks here in Germany are already over their limit. They literally refuse to accept more people because they dont have enough food.

Which? wants supermarkets to ensure prices are easy to compare and that budget food ranges are widely available. “As food prices continue to increase it is crucial that everyone is able to access affordable food that is healthy for themselves and their families,” Concha said.

If you are already at the stage of skipping meals, you're not going to eat healthy. Because eating healthy is EXPENSIVE.

Which? said households experienced different rates of inflation, with single parents and pensioners badly hit because they spend a greater proportion – 30% – of their budget on food, energy and fuel. For couples with children this drops to about a quarter. However, all households are spending significantly more of their income on essentials than they did a year ago.

Yep.
late wrote:I grew up with my grandparents, that lived through the Great Depression.

People will need to learn how to eat on a budget, it can be done.

:eek:

So you're outright denying there is any low limit of income after which you just cannot pay for sufficient food anymore, EVER.

Thus you're saying even if you get say a cent per century even that is doable, its all just a question of "management".

There is literally no frontier at the bottom to you. Any income is enough.

In your mind, people never starve do death, ever. Thats just impossible. A child starves like, what, every three seconds to death on this planet ? Its been a while since I've looked that up. Its after all a very depressing fact. But, according to you, thats just not actually happening.

Plus you're ignoring what I said: healthy food is EXPENSIVE. Thats food that has high quality proteines, high quality fatty acids, the vitamins, the minerals, all the good stuff, and lots of fiber.

In one word: vegetables.

Not fast food and sweets, which are unbelievably cheap, but WILL over time KILL you.
Negotiator wrote:

Thus you're saying even if you get say a cent per century even that is doable, its all just a question of "management".

That's Olympic calibre conclusion jumping...

It's only in recent history that food was relatively cheap, and that people didn't have to work to keep within a budget. I picked the Depression, but you could throw a dart at almost any moment in history at find that.

A Maine food writer once wrote that the invention of sausage was a triumph of ingenuity over a fate that made meat beyond the reach of most.

The inflation in the 70s caused a number of books and magazines to help make the most of what people had.

My grandfather had good pay in a steady job in the Great Depression, but it left emotional scars on him, and his family. They didn't pinch pennies so much as torture them.

One of your best friends is a pressure cooker. I have an Instant Pot, but America's Test Kitchen tested them, and found better.

Anyway, buy a family pack of chicken thighs, divide it up as much as you dare, and freeze the rest in plastic bags allowing for one thigh for 2 people. You can buy other cheap cuts of meat, that's my fave.

Coat the bottom of the pressure cooker with oil. Use olive or avocado oil. Chop up a medium size cabbage, some celery, onion and carrot (that's mirepoix, and you can fry it first for more flavor).

Throw in the cabbage, the mirepoix, a pound of lentils, the chopped up thighs, and a can of tomatoes (you can buy a large can of tomato paste and use that) with herbs/spices. With a pressure cooker, it makes more sense to add them after the cooking is done.

If you limit yourself to one bowl, you can get several meals out of that, or one large meal for a large family. It doesn't cost a lot.

Beans, esp. lentils, can add enough protein that you don't have to add meat, although I always add a little something for flavor.

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/depression-era-recipes/

https://www.eatthis.com/depression-era-foods/

https://www.thefrugalnavywife.com/great ... n-recipes/
Negotiator wrote::eek:

So you're outright denying there is any low limit of income after which you just cannot pay for sufficient food anymore, EVER.

There is literally no frontier at the bottom to you. Any income is enough.

In your mind, people never starve do death, ever. Thats just impossible. A child starves like, what, every three seconds to death on this planet ? Its been a while since I've looked that up. Its after all a very depressing fact. But, according to you, thats just not actually happening.

Plus you're ignoring what I said: healthy food is EXPENSIVE. Thats food that has high quality proteines, high quality fatty acids, the vitamins, the minerals, all the good stuff, and lots of fiber.

In one word: vegetables.

Not fast food and sweets, which are unbelievably cheap, but WILL over time KILL you.

That's exactly what he's saying. Any income is enough and people will just have to make do.

This from the same set of people who said "America is a rich country", "We need to do X NOW because the threat of Y is existential", and "We'll worry about that later."

When this comes to pass, just remember one thing: this did not have to happen.

If financially illiterate people are at the helm who believe that there are no negative ramifications for their grand designs, this is what happens. You get the unintended consequences of pushing ideology over common sense.

BTW, many of the healthy food restaurants like Saladworx and "Sweet Tomatoes" go under. We love those places, but if people don't frequent them, then it's all good intentions that never materialize.
BlutoSays wrote:
That's exactly what he's saying.

You know better.

You know inflation is something happens from time to time. You also know how controversial govt aid to the poor is because you're against it.

I'm for it.

Not just food, the whole Progressive agenda... Health care, quality education, improved social programs (esp for the homeless).

There is dumb, and then there is Forest Gump, and then there is you. You know you are lying most of the time.
late wrote:You know better.

You know inflation is something happens from time to time. You also know how controversial govt aid to the poor is because you're against it.

I'm for it.

Not just food, the whole Progressive agenda... Health care, quality education, improved social programs (esp for the homeless).

There is dumb, and then there is Forest Gump, and then there is you. You know you are lying most of the time.

I'm not against aid to the poor. I'm against your constant attempt to redefine more and more as poor and then make everyone else pick up the slack for them.

Your are not reducing poverty. Your mindset is CREATING poverty.

See the Tytler Cycle. See Cloward-Piven.

I'm against your "fundamental transformation".
BlutoSays wrote:
I'm not against aid to the poor.

I'm against your constant attempt to redefine more and more as poor and then make everyone else pick up the slack for them.

Your are not reducing poverty. Your mindset is CREATING poverty.

I'm against your "fundamental transformation".

Of course you are.

Nope. The decline of the poor has been happening for a very long time.

Fantasy.

You're against civilisation.
The "Progressive Agenda" in the US to reform health care, education and welfare is a positive step in the right direction.

But all positive things can turn sour and most often they do, especially among incompetent politicians tasked with allocating money more often than not wasting national funds in endless pits of corruption.

For this transformation to take place properly, a certain level of maturity is required.

Bluto and the average republican do have a point that inadvertently acts either as a backstop or as an in to enter the fray of money distribution.

He also has a point of the term "poor" being weaponised to mean anything at anytime to justify more and more taxes.

It is being used to gaslight people.
late wrote:That's Olympic calibre conclusion jumping...

It's only in recent history that food was relatively cheap, and that people didn't have to work to keep within a budget. I picked the Depression, but you could throw a dart at almost any moment in history at find that.

A Maine food writer once wrote that the invention of sausage was a triumph of ingenuity over a fate that made meat beyond the reach of most.

The inflation in the 70s caused a number of books and magazines to help make the most of what people had.

My grandfather had good pay in a steady job in the Great Depression, but it left emotional scars on him, and his family. They didn't pinch pennies so much as torture them.

One of your best friends is a pressure cooker. I have an Instant Pot, but America's Test Kitchen tested them, and found better.

Anyway, buy a family pack of chicken thighs, divide it up as much as you dare, and freeze the rest in plastic bags allowing for one thigh for 2 people. You can buy other cheap cuts of meat, that's my fave.

Coat the bottom of the pressure cooker with oil. Use olive or avocado oil. Chop up a medium size cabbage, some celery, onion and carrot (that's mirepoix, and you can fry it first for more flavor).

Throw in the cabbage, the mirepoix, a pound of lentils, the chopped up thighs, and a can of tomatoes (you can buy a large can of tomato paste and use that) with herbs/spices. With a pressure cooker, it makes more sense to add them after the cooking is done.

If you limit yourself to one bowl, you can get several meals out of that, or one large meal for a large family. It doesn't cost a lot.

Beans, esp. lentils, can add enough protein that you don't have to add meat, although I always add a little something for flavor.

https://insanelygoodrecipes.com/depression-era-recipes/

https://www.eatthis.com/depression-era-foods/

https://www.thefrugalnavywife.com/great ... n-recipes/

You weren’t kidding about the Depression stuff eh. That recipe sounds truly awful lol. If I had to use 1 thigh per person I’d at least do a stir fry. No left overs though :|
ness31 wrote:
You weren’t kidding about the Depression stuff eh. That recipe sounds truly awful lol. If I had to use 1 thigh per person I’d at least do a stir fry. No left overs though

Nothing wrong with a good stir fry. But we both enjoy the soups I make. There's lots of variations you can make, if you're a good cook, the dish will be good. While cabbage doesn't get much respect, it's one of the best superfoods.

I didn't mention carbs. If you're making the soup to provide dinners for the week, you may want to add some carbs. Pasta turns to mush, barley is the best choice here.
late wrote:Nothing wrong with a good stir fry. But we both enjoy the soups I make. There's lots of variations you can make, if you're a good cook, the dish will be good. While cabbage doesn't get much respect, it's one of the best superfoods.

I didn't mention carbs. If you're making the soup to provide dinners for the week, you may want to add some carbs. Pasta turns to mush, barley is the best choice here.

If you know how to cook pasta so it is "al dente" or firm, then it won't be mush. You just have to know when to remove it from the water and keep a strainer handy. You do not want to soak pasta in water too long. I love pasta as it can go with a lot of dishes. Barley is mostly for use with soup and rice IMO.

I love having cabbage with chicken or beef. Cabbage by itself is not very appetizing and that goes for a lot of vegetables. Casseroles, roasts or stir fries are great for vegetables.
noemon wrote:The "Progressive Agenda" in the US to reform health care, education and welfare is a positive step in the right direction.

But all positive things can turn sour and most often they do, especially among incompetent politicians tasked with allocating money more often than not wasting national funds in endless pits of corruption.

For this transformation to take place properly, a certain level of maturity is required.

Bluto and the average republican do have a point that inadvertently acts either as a backstop or as an in to enter the fray of money distribution.

He also has a point of the term "poor" being weaponised to mean anything at anytime to justify more and more taxes.

It is being used to gaslight people.

I think the issue is more like,
1. Negotiator (the OP) has a hidden agenda (i.e. to make Russia look good and / or the West look bad), while
2. Bluto either has a hidden agenda himself or is a mouthpiece of someone else who has a hidden agenda (to enhance priviledge of the selfish rich like Trump)

IMHO unless we agree with the said hidden agendas, it is difficult for us not to take their points with a pinch of salt.
Frankly, ideologically I wish myself could be fully on Bluto's side (having poor people or those with the mind of poor people taking power is very dangerous), but I understand why his arguments often attract so much anger and frustration.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

no. It's not. :O BUilding more homes for people […]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]