How to survive Nuclear Winter - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
You're lucky.

Nukes were hundreds of times nastier when I was a kid in the 1960s. They're plenty nasty now, and could easily set off the collapse of civilisation, and kill billions.

But there were more nukes back then, and they were bigger. But the big difference is that they were dirtier (more radioactive and longer lasting radioactivity). Breathe in one grain of plutonium, and you are a dead man.

Don't believe me?

https://www.amazon.com/Thermonuclear-War-Herman-Kahn/dp/141280664X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2V7PJT7IQFVWG&keywords=on+thermonuclear+war+by+herman+kahn&qid=1678648558&sprefix=on+thermon%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10
The use of nuclear weapons on a large scale today (not talking about the 1960s) could actually, quite literally, bring all mankind to extinction. What humans the nuclear bombs do not kill, nuclear winter might very well finish off any survivors.
Politics_Observer wrote:The use of nuclear weapons on a large scale today (not talking about the 1960s) could actually, quite literally, bring all mankind to extinction. What humans the nuclear bombs do not kill, nuclear winter might very well finish off any survivors.

The mankind will survive, but not the civilisation. We had survived a super vulcano erruption 70'000 years ago:

https://www.businessinsider.com/genetic ... accumulate.
Why, thats easy.

You survive with reincarnation on another planet.

After a nuclear winter, earth would be out of a sentient species, so its off the list.
Protect and Survive...

A cult classic that's as 'real' as it gets. A BBC docudrama on the effects of a nuclear holocaust on the working class city of Sheffield, England, and the eventual long-term effects of nuclear war on civilization.

Threads (1984)

Enjoy.
In the aftermath of a Nuclear war I already have my outfit picked out:

Witness me!!
Again:

Even if just India and Parkistan, both owning 200 nuclear bombs, release their nuclear arsenal, the resulting nuclear winter would already cost 2 billion people their life. Many more victims than from the bombs themselves.

And this effect only gets worse, the more bombs are exploded.

The nuclear winter after the whole potential of the USA and Russia have release their respective arsenals and over ten thousands of nuclear bombs have exploded worldwide will last a decade or longer. Even the equator will be covered in ice.

That means there will be no food for a decade. Unless we develop a technology to freeze people without killing them, or we colonize other planets, or anything extreme like that - the human species simply wont be around anymore afterwards, neither will many other lifeforms. The planet will take millions of years to recover.

The reality of nuclear armageddon has NOTHING to do with how computer games or Hollywood portrait a postnuclear age.
Negotiator wrote:
Again:

Even if just India and Parkistan, both owning 200 nuclear bombs, release their nuclear arsenal, the resulting nuclear winter would already cost 2 billion people their life. Many more victims than from the bombs themselves.

And this effect only gets worse, the more bombs are exploded.

The nuclear winter after the whole potential of the USA and Russia have release their respective arsenals and over ten thousands of nuclear bombs have exploded worldwide will last a decade or longer. Even the equator will be covered in ice.

That means there will be no food for a decade. Unless we develop a technology to freeze people without killing them, or we colonize other planets, or anything extreme like that - the human species simply wont be around anymore afterwards, neither will many other lifeforms. The planet will take millions of years to recover.

The reality of nuclear armageddon has NOTHING to do with how computer games or Hollywood portrait a postnuclear age.

A nuclear would be short. I doubt the US and Russia would use even half their nuclear weapons. The reason is obvious, both countries would be devastated in a day or two. Russia, with it's harsh winters, crap medical system, and crappy soil; would be facing the death of it's country, We wouldn't be much better off.

So the question then becomes how bad it will get for the Southern Hemisphere, because the recovery will start there.
late wrote:A nuclear would be short. I doubt the US and Russia would use even half their nuclear weapons. The reason is obvious, both countries would be devastated in a day or two. Russia, with it's harsh winters, crap medical system, and crappy soil; would be facing the death of it's country, We wouldn't be much better off.

So the question then becomes how bad it will get for the Southern Hemisphere, because the recovery will start there.

Based on what exactly ?

Certainly not based on science.

You can google what nuclear bombs would actually do easily. Theres plenty of scientific studies about it around, where people study different scenarios and the results.

One that I read said even if just Pakistan and India would use their bombs over the territory of the other country, which is 200 each, the global effects would be devastating and about 2 billion people would die from the resulting nuclear winter and famine.

Again, your proposal it would do nothing is based on - what exactly ?
Negotiator wrote:
Again, your proposal it would do nothing is based on - what exactly ?

Not what I said, at all.

You were talking about thousands of nukes being used... Russia doesn't have that many targets. During the Cold War we planned on attacking empty military lots, on the off chance something might go there.

When the Pentagon suggested using nukes, Truman said, "Never ask me to use those horrible things again." In close calls and simulations, people invariably try to stop. If you're not a psychopath, you've got a threshhold. A nuclear war would reach that threshold in a matter of hours.

Anyway, we don't actually know how bad a nuclear winter would be. Partly because we don't know how many of the weapons would be used. In a way, I'm agreeing with you, I expect there would be a nuclear winter.

But we don't have everything we need to predict with reliability.
late wrote:thousands of nukes being used

I remember reading a late 60s (could have been early 70s) briefing paper that said it would take only 54 well-placed H-Bombs to fuck up the UK.

:)
ingliz wrote:
I remember reading a late 60s (could have been early 70s) briefing paper that said it would take only 54 well-placed H-Bombs to fuck up the UK.

:)

The bombs back then were bigger and a lot dirtier.
late wrote:Not what I said, at all.

You were talking about thousands of nukes being used... Russia doesn't have that many targets. During the Cold War we planned on attacking empty military lots, on the off chance something might go there.

When the Pentagon suggested using nukes, Truman said, "Never ask me to use those horrible things again." In close calls and simulations, people invariably try to stop. If you're not a psychopath, you've got a threshhold. A nuclear war would reach that threshold in a matter of hours.

Anyway, we don't actually know how bad a nuclear winter would be. Partly because we don't know how many of the weapons would be used. In a way, I'm agreeing with you, I expect there would be a nuclear winter.

But we don't have everything we need to predict with reliability.

Late do you remember this writer Rachel Carson?

It is interesting RoundUp was really bad too.

There are conditions that must be met for Ukraine[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]