Joe Biden calls for ‘immediate ceasefire’ in Gaza and says Israel must protect civilians to keep US - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

wat0n wrote:I read the reports, but it does not even mention anything about e.g. creating an unified Palestinian army. Best case scenario, they'd turn Palestine into a second Lebanon, with Hamas bring Hezbollah.

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitarized or Israel will never agree. But this has to be result of negotiations
Skynet wrote:I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitarized or Israel will never agree. But this has to be result of negotiations

Only at the beginning, with an international peacekeeping force acting as the military. This can't work long term because an army is necessary to deal with any future insurrections, just like it's happened in Lebanon.

Even in Israel itself, in 1948, the IDF had to quell an attempt by Irgun and Lehi to create a state within a state. Irgun did not want to truly integrate into the IDF, and dissolve its armed wing and it instead wanted to be "an army within the army" by having units formed solely by Irgun fighters. This was unacceptable to Ben Gurion, and he made it clear by sinking a ship carrying weapons for the Irgun in June 1948 (the Altalena).

Doing this obviously requires having an army and not a demilitarized state forever. If not, then sooner or later some irredentist group will take over the Palestinian state and try to resume fighting.

An international peacekeeping force could be deployed to act as an army, provide guarantees for everyone and eventually be replaced by a proper Palestinian army once Israelis and Palestinians trust each other enough to believe the other won't try to resume war. This doesn't even require both to be "friends", just the basic commitment not to resume war.

I provided the footage earlier ITT. You could ac[…]

@Tainari88 @FiveofSwords appears to have suf[…]

The Roman expulsion of the Jews is irrelevant bec[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm Amelia. I'm 35years old and I live in one of[…]