Columbia faculty members walk out after pro-Palestinian protesters arrested - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

We need to be aware that Mossad will be operating in these protests. We saw with the Lavon affair, just how far the Israeli state will go to demonise its enemies and advance the interests of their state. On the other hand we have Anarchists, Marxists, Jihadist Muslims and extreme Cultural Marxists in these protests, whose word is also not to be trusted.
I think it is all about the money.

Do not misunderstand me. The genocide in Gaza is important, and the student protesters almost certainly have a sincere and heartfelt commitment to do what they can to stop the violence.

The reaction, however, seems disproportionate to the issue. Students often protest in ways that are just as unruly over other issues without inviting such a reaction from police, Congress, and donors.

But these protests are different in two ways involving money: 1. The protesters are asking for divestment, which can easily have a significant negative impact on university finances, and 2. Some of the people opposed to the protests are wealthy donors who can (and do) threaten significant negative impacts on university finances if the university does not react as the donors wish.

It is always about the money.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I think it is all about the money.

Do not misunderstand me. The genocide in Gaza is important, and the student protesters almost certainly have a sincere and heartfelt commitment to do what they can to stop the violence.

The reaction, however, seems disproportionate to the issue. Students often protest in ways that are just as unruly over other issues without inviting such a reaction from police, Congress, and donors.

But these protests are different in two ways involving money: 1. The protesters are asking for divestment, which can easily have a significant negative impact on university finances, and 2. Some of the people opposed to the protests are wealthy donors who can (and do) threaten significant negative impacts on university finances if the university does not react as the donors wish.

It is always about the money.

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/ilhan-omar-twitter-anti-semitism-aipac-its-all-about-the-benjamins/
The police didn't intervene when students took over buildings and started limiting access to the rest of the community:

But of course, those who want the return of numerus clausus like @Saeko and @Pants-of-dog have no problem with that.

Removing them using the cops was long overdue even if they believe it is no big deal to deny Jewish students access to education.
@Pants-of-dog yes, and he was harassed even though he has the right - as a student - to take photos of anyone in a public area.

Now we see leftists harassing students for merely walking on campus or trying to access school buildings. It is even more necessary to document and denounce such behavior.

Saeko wrote:He wasn't "escaping" anything. UCLA campus was closed yesterday, so no one technically has any legal right to be there. So if he was trying to get in, that means he was breaking in.

UCLA's campus closed precisely as a result of this and other incidents. Like, for example, this one:

Also, the campus was not closed at the time.

At last, even UCLA's Chancellor said yesterday:

UCLA Chancellor wrote:Many of the demonstrators, as well as counter-demonstrators who have come to the area, have been peaceful in their activism. But the tactics of others have frankly been shocking and shameful. We have seen instances of violence completely at odds with our values as an institution dedicated to respect and mutual understanding. In other cases, students on their way to class have been physically blocked from accessing parts of the campus.
wat0n wrote:Sounds like an ad-hominem and not a substantive argument.

Ahh... now the guy who can't go five whole seconds without calling someone a "mass rape supporter" suddenly has a problem with ad-hominem attacks. Also, it's not an ad-hominem attack to call into question the credibility of a witness.

Ignores other incidents also caught on camera and uploaded.

99% of the incidents you've posted on here were obvious hoaxes or ones where you egregiously misrepresented what really happened.

Even worse, even UCLA's Chancellor has confirmed the same thing: The protesters are harassing students and not letting them use the facilities they have a right to use.

The UCLA Chancellor is not an objective party. Also, protesting by shutting down public or private services has long been a legitimate form of protest throughout American history. So take your legalistic bitching elsewhere.
Saeko wrote:Ahh... now the guy who can't go five whole seconds without calling someone a "mass rape supporter" suddenly has a problem with ad-hominem attacks. Also, it's not an ad-hominem attack to call into question the credibility of a witness.

No, that's a simple statement of fact.

If you don't like being called mass rape supporter then quit supporting mass rapists. Simple.

Saeko wrote:99% of the incidents you've posted on here were obvious hoaxes or ones where you egregiously misrepresented what really happened.

No, they were not.

They were caught on camera.

Students being harassed were simply exercising their right to be on campus and use open spaces.

Saeko wrote:The UCLA Chancellor is not an objective party.

Indeed, he actually has every incentive to deny any of that happened since his inaction risked opening UCLA up to litigation. It may still happen if it hasn't already.

Saeko wrote: Also, protesting by shutting down public or private services has long been a legitimate form of protest throughout American history. So take your legalistic bitching elsewhere.

No, it has not.

It was not legitimate to take over schools and universities to protest desegregation, for example.

I wonder if you will say that enforcing civil rights law to desegregate schools was "legalistic bitching" too. Or segregation is fine when the ones being segregated are Jewish?
wat0n wrote:Wrong, and if anything major Adams has said explicitly the onus falls on Columbia to request the city's help in dealing with the protests.

Columbia Said It Had ‘No Choice’ but to Call the Police

This is true of both police raids. You're just wrong about this. The original article I posted confirms this but if you need further confirmation about how you're, once again wrong:

https://ny1.com/nyc/manhattan/news/2024 ... s-continue

Article wrote:Eventually, the university authorized the NYPD to break up the encampment.

Funny coming from those who want to segregate Jewish students and bar them from accessing campus.

This is just an outright lie. Absolutely nothing I've said remotely resembles supporting such a nonsensical claim.
KurtFF8 wrote:Columbia Said It Had ‘No Choice’ but to Call the Police

This is true of both police raids. You're just wrong about this. The original article I posted confirms this but if you need further confirmation about how you're, once again wrong:

https://ny1.com/nyc/manhattan/news/2024 ... s-continue

It proves my point, actually. At the time of writing that post, the NYPD had not been granted access to Columbia because the university had not requested it. Mayor Adams was clear the university had to request that and that in his view he couldn't act without it.

KurtFF8 wrote:This is just an outright lie. Absolutely nothing I've said remotely resembles supporting such a nonsensical claim.

Should civil rights law be enforced as to guarantee equal access to all students to all open spaces inside establishments of higher education?

How was the Roman Republic not capitalism? Not on[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Jews? Are you insane? Tsars actively supported t[…]

I find it bizarre that people like @Unthinking M[…]

World War II Day by Day

May 15, Wednesday Britons flock to the local def[…]