The Lisbon Treaty - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

The Lisbon Treaty: Yay or Nay

For
47%
Against
47%
Other
7%
By OldMajor
The question you are asked to answer in this poll is simple.

If given the chance would you have voted for or against the Lisbon Treaty?
By Dan
Against.

I oppose the EU and any attempt to expand it or its powers.
By Donna
Against.

Europe, with its rich history, has two blemishes: The Holocaust and the European Union.
By ingliz
I am for a federal Europe, I would have voted yes.
By Adam_Smith
Against. I believe the machinery for internal coordination and cooperation is already adequately in place. What is proposed now is largely a platform for the European elites to better play the "Great Game" of global power politics. European peace and prosperity is better secured by minding its domestic affairs and avoiding external adventures.

This is also my advice to my own country, the United States.
By The Immortal Goon
Regardless of what the Treaty's practical affect would be, the implementation of it has been horrible. The people of France and the Netherlands rejected it, so they just went over their heads, snagging on Ireland.

Now that the people of Ireland have rejected it, they're railroading it through anyway. It's hard to ask people to trust an organisation that pledges to stand by the word of the general public, doesn't get the answer it wants, and does whatever it planned to do anyway.

If they have nothing to hide, then they're going to have to do some work in showing themselves to be transparent to the people of Europe and do their best to educate people who their representatives are, what parties they belong to, how they're chosen, and so on and so forth - even if that wastes a few years. The alternative, to just have some foggy conception of mutli-national bureaucrats forcing everyone to do whatever they say despite their repeated requests to stop isn't going to do anybody a hell of a lot of good.
By fris_ke
Has anyone here actually read it?

I am against.

Whilst being in principle extremeley pro european i am opposed to the EU in it's current form.
By Nets
Dan wrote:Against.

I oppose the EU and any attempt to expand it or its powers.

Basically. I prefer a divided, squabbling weak Europe to the emerging one.

Europe, with its rich history, has two blemishes: The Holocaust and the European Union.

What!?

Europe has a truckload of skeletons in its closet, as does just about every race/state/region/etc.
By Dan
Has anyone here actually read it?

A couple years back I read large amounts of the original treaty that was voted down, and it was an unworkable, bureaucratic nightmare of a document. I doubt this one was much better.
By Quercus Robur
For I'm not a huge fan of the EU, but it's there and we've just got to accept that - it is simply necessary that we combine our economic systems and this is an effective way of realising it. However, the Lisbon treaty should probably have knocked back most of the social elements of the EU rather than vaguely extending them(?), as social regulation is the province of sovereign nations really.
By noemon
Dan wrote:A couple years back I read large amounts of the original treaty that was voted down, and it was an unworkable, bureaucratic nightmare of a document. I doubt this one was much better.

Am actually sick, of such puny levels of argumentation, and popular slants.

a) provide evidence to your claim(ie bureaucratic nightmare)

b) when you do provide evidence of this "nightmare", then juxtapose it with the elements amended and prove that even this nightmare is a nightmare indeed as juxtaposed to the good elements coming out of it.

Then, you have a case. Otherwise as Isocrates tells us, it is better to remain silent.

1) Me arguing against this Treaty as a European, has nothing to do with your argumentation against the Treaty, which means that you cannot use my arguments.

TIG wrote:If they have nothing to hide, then they're going to have to do some work in showing themselves to be transparent to the people of Europe and do their best to educate people who their representatives are, what parties they belong to, how they're chosen, and so on and so forth - even if that wastes a few years. The alternative, to just have some foggy conception of mutli-national bureaucrats forcing everyone to do whatever they say despite their repeated requests to stop isn't going to do anybody a hell of a lot of good.

First of all your argument is false, because it is based on the fact that, there have been requests against this alleged bureaucracy, the majority has sided with the bureaucracy so your argument is moot. Ofc, the European consensus law, forces the EU to amend the Treaty(on the end) but it does not force her to abandon the ratification process.

Again, i reject the Treaty too, but for dfiferent reasons, parroting marxist maxims, is not argumentation, it is merely parroting.

Nets wrote:Basically. I prefer a divided, squabbling weak Europe to the emerging one.

Ofc, you do. But then again anti-ism is not ethnic or culturally dependent.

Nets wrote:What!?

Europe has a truckload of skeletons in its closet, as does just about every race/state/region/etc.

Here is some "constructive argumentation", as above; trolling is neither ethnic nor culturally dependent.

------------------------------------

For the European perspective, this Treaty should not go through at this stage, BECAUSE, the major EU powers, like France, Britain and Germany, are not ready yet to assume command. This is obvious considering their latest political decisions through their involvement in international politics. This is the major reason why the European regime should not be formed at this particular stage.

This reason can be broken down with further elaboration, but since the ignorance is at such levels, that people simply do not get it. It would be a moot practice.

Finally, personally as an Ellinas, i should be FOR, this Treaty because my country's strategic interests have become perfectly aligned with the major EU powers, and their policy(either united or not), will produce benefits overall. Not out of love or compassion, but out of necessity. But as a European, i am unsure if the same can be said for everybody, and one could argue that the Lisbon Treaty could speedify the process for those who this cannot be said yet. Perhaps, but why not wait just a little bit more? One could argue because of the oil crisis and the resulting economic stagnation of the major economic EU motors. Perhaps, in all honesty, someone needs to be in the higher echelons to produce such argumentation.
By Nikola
i dunno Europe and Nato are controlled by America so this would be pretty bad. anything under American control usually goes down the tubes.
By Abood
I still don't get what the Lisbon Treaty is. Anyone?
By Mazhi
I agree with the Lisbon treaty except for the reduction of commissioners. That would probably mean Slovenia wouldn't get any. :hmm:
By Dr House
Back when it was put to vote I would've voted for.

From my current perspective I would've voted against.

I voted against on the poll.
By perpetuum
Absolutely for.
By dilpill
I'm for, but why did we have to bring back a one month old thread?
By Dr House
Because it was on the first page, and I hadn't seen the topic till now.

I was pro-EU until I found out the European Commission's been pressuring Germany to slap speed caps on the Autobahn system.
World War II Day by Day

April 23, Tuesday New tax puts up the cost of be[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I haven't bothered to watch all of this video. The[…]

At first, I thought @FiveofSwords was a legit wh[…]

The enemies of freedom are strong in this topic. […]