Projected US Presidential Candidate Poll (10-07-2008) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

For whom do you believe you will vote for in the upcoming US election?

Cynthia McKinney/Rosa Clemente (Green)
5%
Chuck Baldwin/Darrell Castle (Constitution)
3%
Bob Barr/Wayne Allyn Root (Libertarian)
5%
Ralph Nader/Matt Gonzalez (Independent, Independence-Ecology, Peace and Freedom)
4%
Alan Keyes/Brian Rohrbough (Independent, America's Independant)
No votes
0%
John McCain/Sarah Palin (Republican, New York Independence, New York Conservative)
16%
Barack Obama/Joe Biden (Democratic, South Carolina United Citizens, New York Working Families)
54%
Undecided as of yet, but I intend on voting.
No votes
0%
Couldn't care less or not voting.
8%
Other
4%
Being this close to the election, I felt it was about time to see how the politicaly charged individuals residing in the United States of this forum predict that they are going to vote. I understand that there is already a very 'generalized' poll created to determine the sway of party affiliation. I would like to see where the vast majority of those with political mindsets currently stand in a more specific poll. I hope that someone else will create another US election poll before the election, to see if any have swayed.

Feel free to campaign here yourself. Although most of you probably already know who I support by now, i'll say it again. I support Barrack Obama. I don't neccessarily despise you if you don't, I would like to hear some of your reasoning behind voting for McCain; or why you would vote for a third party, knowing that the electorate will just ignore your vote anyway...

Any comments?
By Nets
Barack Obama/Joe Biden
By Kylie
I would say the reason why some people may vote for alternative candidates is out of protest. They feel disenfranchised; therefore, they will vote for someone who truly represents their views, despite the fact that the efforts of doing so are futile. I don't think people do it enough, though. Most people go with the theory that most alternative candidates don't stand a chance, so we'll vote for the lesser of two evils. I'm truly optimistic, but I think if everyone who voted for who they truly believe represents their views, and not for the main line party candidates, then the numbers would reflect that and would change the dynamic for another election and force people to take alternative candidates more seriously.

That's a completely optimistic approach, though.
By Donna
If I were American, I would be voting for Barack Obama.
By Nets
I'm curious who chose Cynthia McKinney. I completely loath that women.

Also,
Kylie wrote:I would say the reason why some people may vote for alternative candidates is out of protest.

Exactly. A plurality-wins system tends towards having large center-left and center-right parties. This satisfies most people (most people are centrists) but pisses off the wings.
By Comrade Joseph
It was me. I usually make spite votes and then state my actual opinion in the thread.

No, it was actually me. I voted for Ralph Nader in 2004, but I am voting for Cynthia McKinney this year. She has been endorsed by the Workers World Party, and is more anti-imperialist than Nader. Those are the reasons why.
By Michaeluj
Bob Barr...because if I vote for anyone else, my soul will become so dirty, no amount of soap in the world can clean me.
By Le Rouge
Online polling is a poor reflexion of actual percentages because the internet demographic is more politically diverse than a really existing community. You could probably name 10 people on PoFo who are a) libertarian; b) communist; or c) fascist but not be able to likewise name 10 people within a 3 mile radius.

That said, Obama-Biden.
By Oxymoron
McCain/Palin I got no other real choice here, I like Obama I just dont think he can deliver on his nice rhetoric.
By Falx
McCain/Palin I got no other real choice here, I like Obama I just dont think he can deliver on his nice rhetoric.

And you think McCain and Palin can deliver on their shit rhetoric?

If I could vote Obama/Biden.
By Oxymoron
And you think McCain and Palin can deliver on their shit rhetoric?

Well I think McCain has a track record of delivering on his words,and he has more achievable and pragmatic plans to begin with.
By Spintroll
I would say the reason why some people may vote for alternative candidates is out of protest.

Is an act in futility really a protest? I think a march or a petition would be more effective than a handful of intelligent people split apart by minute diffences in principle. Some will vote Green... some will vote for one of the Independents... some will vote Libertarian... but the vast majority of the uneducated masses will vote along the electorate party lines. Too much TV - not enough books.

Silent protest is also ineffective. Not voting only makes you seem uninvolved. Perhaps I should start a petition...
Not sure i'm up to the legalities behind it...
Perhaps not, then. :moron:

Guess i'll just vote for the guy that claims to want to change the electoral system... like THAT'LL happen...

So what. Still gonna vote Obama - at least he acknowledges that the system is broken and undemocratic.
Last edited by Spintroll on 08 Oct 2008 16:26, edited 2 times in total.
By Falx
Well I think McCain has a track record of delivering on his words,and he has more achievable and pragmatic plans to begin with.

But exactly which promises, currently he seems to be arguing against himself more than Obama ever could. Every 2 hours or so he says the complete opposite of what he did before. The latest gaff being the whole bail out thing.
By mometas
Obama/Biden. If there were a ticket that better represented my views, I would vote that way instead.
By Abood
Nets wrote:Exactly. A plurality-wins system tends towards having large centre-left and centre-right parties. This satisfies most people (most people are centrists) but pisses off the wings.
You cannot possibly believe that the Republican Party is centre-right. It might have been at one point in time, but it has been hijacked by far-rightists, such as Neo-Conservatives and Christian Fundamentalists.

American politics lean more towards the right than the centre.
By The Immortal Goon
I would say the reason why some people may vote for alternative candidates is out of protest.

It also helps to pressure major parties. The GOP had to temper itself in order to avoid a Libertarian schizm recently, and the DNC has to keep an eye on the Greens.
By Kylie
TIG wrote:It also helps to pressure major parties. The GOP had to temper itself in order to avoid a Libertarian schizm recently, and the DNC has to keep an eye on the Greens.

I don't think enough people do it, though. Sure, it helps, but I think if everyone voted for how they really felt instead of either not voting or what they considered the 'lesser' of two evils, people would take them more seriously.

Yes I was using the word fun, loosely , ironicall[…]

Trans people are just people. They have no less an[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You should impose your own standards on yourself.[…]

No, I want you to be happy. I will be happy when[…]