Arafat signed Oslo accord as Trojan Horse - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Here are two clips about Arafat motive to sign the Oslo accord. Does any one agtree it was Trojan Hores?

The following are excerpts from an interview by Al-Quds Al-Arabi Editor-in-Chief Abd Al-Bari Atwan, aired on ANB TV on February 16, 2006.

Told Me He Would Turn the Oslo Accords into a Curse for Israel

Abd Al-Bari Atwan: When the Oslo Accords were signed, I went to visit [Arafat] in Tunis. It was around July, before he went to Gaza. I said to him: We disagree. I do not support this agreement. It will harm us, the Palestinians, distort our image, and uproot us from our Arab origins. This agreement will not get us what we want, because these Israelis are deceitful.

He took me outside and told me: By Allah, I will drive them crazy. By Allah, I will turn this agreement into a curse for them. By Allah, perhaps not in my lifetime, but you will live to see the Israelis flee from Palestine. Have a little atience. I entrust this with you. Don't mention this to anyone.
Always remember this. Sometimes, when I would criticize him strongly, he would say to me: Do you remember the promise I made, Abd Al-Bari?

Arafat explained to a South African crowd in 1994 that the Oslo agreement was merely a tactical ruse in the larger battle to destroy the Jewish state ― a modern version of the Muslim prophet Mohammed's trickery against the ancient tribe of Quraysh.

Arafat's Speech in Johannesburg May 10, 1994

On 10 May 1994, Yasir Arafat gave what he thought was an off-the-record talk at a mosque while visiting Johannesburg, South Africa. But a South African journalist, Bruce Whitfield of 702 Talk Radio, found a way secretly to record his (English-language) remarks.

This agreement I am not considering it more than the agreement which had been signed between our prophet Muhhamud and Quraysh. And you remember, Caliph Omar had refused this agreement and considering the of the very low class. But Muhammud had accepted it and we are accepting now this peace accord.

By kyleb
Mohammed didn't trick Quraysh. He signed an agreement with them, which they broke, leaving them three options, of which they chose to dissolve the treaty.

As for Arifat's motives for the Oslo accords, I don't see how anything in it could be considered a Trojan horse for Arafat as he didn't get any Palestinians in Israel with it. On the flip side, a reasonable argument can be made that it the agreement has helped Israelis facilitate their continuing colonization of the West Bank.
By Dempsey
Mohammed didn't trick Quraysh. He signed an agreement with them, which they broke

Did they? Yehoshua Porath, professor of Middle Eastern history at the Hebrew University, wrote:

Arafat repeatedly equated the Oslo agreement with the Hudaybiya agreement, which the prophet Muhammad concluded during his wars with the Quraysh tribe. Muhammad broke the agreement eighteen months after its conclusion, when the balance of power changed in his favor, and it has become a guiding precedent in Islamic law for how to deal with non-Muslim powers.

As for Arifat's motives for the Oslo accords, I don't see how anything in it could be considered a Trojan horse for Arafat as he didn't get any Palestinians in Israel with it.

Atwan also disclosed that Arafat decided to form the Aksa Martyrs Brigades."President Arafat was the one who established the Aksa Martyrs Brigades in response to the attempt to marginalize him after the failure of the Camp David summit"

"The Jews did not escape from Palestine by the thousands as President Arafat predicted. But they have started packing their bags to run away from the Gaza Strip and some settlements in the West Bank. There are also signs of emigration to Europe, the US and Canada following the suicide bombings and the sense of insecurity among Israelis."

The Greasest Trojan Horse scheme since the original Trojan Horse

Atwan: Arafat signed Oslo Accords hoping Jews would flee

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH

A respected Palestinian editor revealed over the weekend that Yasser Arafat told him in 1994 that he agreed to sign the Oslo Accords because he was hoping the agreements would force thousands of Jews to flee Israel.

Abdel Bari Atwan, editor of the London-based daily al-Quds al-Arabi, said Arafat made his remarks when they met in Tunis, a few days before the PLO returned to the Gaza Strip.

"I met with him in his office at around 3.00 a.m.," Atwan recalled.

"The man told me, 'Listen, Abdel Bari, I know that you are opposed to the Oslo Accords, but you must always remember what I'm going to tell you. The day will come when you will see thousands of Jews fleeing Palestine. I will not live to see this, but you will definitely see it in your lifetime. The Oslo Accords will help bring this about.'"

Before the signing of the Oslo Accords, Atwan maintained a close relationship with Arafat and the two used to meet on a regular basis. Since then, he has become an outspoken critic of the Oslo Accords and corruption in the Palestinian Authority. Over the past few years, Atwan repeatedly called on Arafat to resign, accusing him of failing the Palestinians and harboring corrupt aides.

"Our close relationship ended with the signing of the notorious Oslo Accords," he noted. "But I was keen on visiting him every now and then in European capitals at the peak of the 'peace of the braves.'"

Atwan also disclosed that Arafat decided to form the Aksa Martyrs Brigades, the armed wing of Fatah, in response to US and Israeli attempts to sideline him after the failed Camp David summit in 2000.

"President Arafat was the one who established the Aksa Martyrs Brigades in response to the attempt to marginalize him after the failure of the Camp David summit," he added.

"At the summit, he faced immense pressure from Israel, the US and some Arab parties to compromise on Jerusalem. Ironically, some Arab leaders, including Saudi Crown Prince Abdullah bin Abdel Aziz, called Arafat demanding that he display flexibility on the issue of Jerusalem."

Atwan said Arafat rejected the offers Israel made at the summit "because he wasn't prepared to sign a final agreement with the Jewish state. He was well aware that such an agreement would make him go down in history as a traitor because he would have to give up the right of return for the refugees and most of the sovereignty over east Jerusalem."

Atwan said that when he met with Arafat in Tunis in 1994, the PA chairman was lonely and depressed. "Most of the people around him had deserted him, some because they did not want to be held responsible for the consequences of the Oslo Accords, and the majority for financial reasons," the editor said.

"The Gulf countries had halted their financial aid to the PLO (after the first Gulf War, when Arafat supported the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait)."

Commenting on Arafat's hope that the Oslo Accords would force thousands of Jews to flee Israel, Atwan said: "The Jews did not escape from Palestine by the thousands as President Arafat predicted. But they have started packing their bags to run away from the Gaza Strip and some settlements in the West Bank. There are also signs of emigration to Europe, the US and Canada following the suicide bombings and the sense of insecurity among Israelis."

SOURCE
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? ... 0939303210
Last edited by Dempsey on 14 Dec 2008 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
By kyleb
Did they?

Yes, Quraysh's allies the Banu Bakr attacked a Muslim tribe called Khuza. At that point, the terms of the treaty required Quraysh to pay restitution for the attack, break off their alliance with the Manu Bakr, or dissolve the treaty. One can't rightly fault Muhammad for the Quraysh's choice to dissolve the treaty.

The Greasest Trojan Horse scheme since the original Trojan Horse

Perhaps you don't understand the story of the Troian Horse. It was a means of attack used to sneak Greek solders into Troy under the guise of a peace offering. Again, the Oslo Acords didn't provide Arafat means to get any Palestinians into Israel, solders or otherwise.
By danholo
The PA controlled its cities where terror groups freely went about their business. Call it whatever you like, but it still gave Palestinians better opportunity to build up their resistance and capability to hit Israel.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is implausible that the IDF would witness what […]

Quibbling about terminology is the exact method us[…]

The importance of out-breeding

https://external-content.duckduckgo.c[…]

Bring on the nuclear war.