What Does Europe Think Of Obama Now? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Mr Obama on terrorism & the war on terror

Quote 1
"I know my country has not perfected itself. At times, we've struggled to keep the promise of liberty and equality for all of our people. We've made our share of mistakes, and there are times when our actions around the world have not lived up to our best intentions."
Quote 2
"Today we are engaged in a deadly global struggle for those who would intimidate, torture, and murder people for exercising the most basic freedoms. If we are to win this struggle and spread those freedoms, we must keep our own moral compass pointed in a true direction. "
Quote 3
"Where the stakes are the highest, in the war on terror, we cannot possibly succeed without extraordinary international cooperation. Effective international police actions require the highest degree of intelligence sharing, planning and collaborative enforcement. "

Is this the same Obama regime which has not yet retracted the threats of Bush to the UK & instead threatens to withdraw intelligence to the UK all the while Milliband & Clinton talk about the "Special Relationship. All the while The UK & USA clearly have something to hide torture wise, is this how Mr Obama streches his hand out to the muslim world?

Mr Obama on Distribution of Weath

"I think when you spread the wealth around it's good for everybody."

Does this explain the short sighted decision to limit executive pay at $500,000 for those who need future bail outs. Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't one of the integral issues in the world recesssion (depression if your name is Mr Brown) the lack of liquidity in the credit markets. Will this measure just not ensure that banks tighten their credit lines to ensure no bail outs are needed. Also how can you expect the biggest banks in the world to be run by people on Politicians wages. Politicians are just a side show in the world of global capitalism & their impact is minimal - would you not agree Mr Obama considering no stimulus has yet had an effect.

Mr Obama on Globalisation/Nationalism/International Trade
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations. "

Is this the same Mr Obama who writes in clauses in his latest proposed stimulus stating those helped must "Buy American" endangering world trade ties & creating concern in Europe, China & Canada.

So let's look at the three most important topics for Mr Obama's regime:

Global Economic Crisis - His actions so far have raised suspicion & sceptism amongst his opposition and the rest of the world, hardly the way to get a consistant worldwide approach which deals effectively with the crunch? Is'nt he also destroying the american dream with his wealth distibution promises and attacks on executives?

Global War On Terror - Hiding Torture, Refusing to comment on Israel offensive in Gaza until effectively forced to, Deliberatly quiet on Irans latest Military progression & continued bombing of northern Pakistan - has Mr Obama identified his targets & how he will win over the Middle East or will he continue with the haphazard approach of the bush regime - especially in keeping GATES!

Cleaning up the reputation of the USA of USA politics - Funny all these announcements should come in the week when Two Of the staff Obama offered roles declined due to having evaded tax - Just like the so called greedy fat cats he appears to be taregting.

I am one of the so called White European youth who are won over by the Obama regime & think some how he will change my whole opinion of American Politics and world issues - Hardly Likely - American is dying? Although with Mr Brown now signing trade agreements with China in less time than he saved the world & going cap in hand to sovereign wealth funds the worst could still be yet to come!!!
By Aekos
Mr Obama on Globalisation/Nationalism/International Trade
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations. "

No. You took the quote out of context. He was talking about hicks, not anyone outside the USA...
By Harmattan
I am an European and I never thinked he would change the USA a lot. The two sensible things about Obama were :
- He was black
- he was not Bush

Besides that, well, he's always been a democrat, not a revolutionary one, not very different from other democrats, more like a centrist according to my own country's scale, a firm believer of the financial capitalism. He never either planned to forget the "America first" (which is fine, it is his role), except that, maybe, he's not planning to do that at any cost for the rest of the world.

Now, he's faced with one of the most difficult situation any US leader had to face and he has no superpowers to solve this, no wonder you feel uncertainty about his plan. On Israel, nothing was letting expect a radical change and we will see on the middle-term whether he will really change something there (but I don't think so). On corruption & such, I don't think he will clean Washington but if he does that won't be in a week of course. And his staff's troubles are not as bold as you think they are and he had to use experienced men in such a crisis anyway. Finally, on globalization and world market rules, I don't think he will do substantial changes, alas. I may be wrong, we will see.
Last edited by Harmattan on 05 Feb 2009 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
By guzzipat
People in Europe are not silly enough to judge Obama on a few weeks work. Few had expectations above a more intelligent joined up approach to foreign policy and the end of "with us or against us" polarity of Bush.

On the refusal to allow publication of security documents about the turture of a UK citizen in American custody. Most people here believe it is the UK government using that to cover their own arses. It is illegal here to torture, use evidence so obtained or to cooperate in any way with torture. Even allowing planes carrying people to be tortured, landing or refueling facilities is illegal.
It is certain that MI5, with the knowledge of the Government participated in illegal acts. They are now busy covering that up and are using the American security services to help them.
By Negotiator
So far I am positively surprised. Obama surely went from talking to acting pretty fast.

Does this explain the short sighted decision to limit executive pay at $500,000 for those who need future bail outs. Forgive me if i'm wrong but isn't one of the integral issues in the world recesssion (depression if your name is Mr Brown) the lack of liquidity in the credit markets.
I'm mildly amused by the fact that you really believe these people would trade their OWN payment on the credit markets.

Banks are, on the contrary, organizations which trade with other peoples money. Thats what makes failing banks such catastrophes.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So have people given up on blaming that terrorist […]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]