Walmart in Germany shows the white feather. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Lokakyy
You do realize that losing the company is the fault of the host and not the company don"t you?

Actually I would suggest it is "the fault" of the company - it was in the end unable to adapt which is - I am told - the prime prerequisite of capitalism. If other companies are able to flourish and make profit in the market, then surely Walmart could if it really tried? Or do you feel as strongly for the companies that go down in the United States as well? If that GenericName Incorporated goes out of business because it can't adapt, do you cry for it? Isn't this the basic way how capitalism operates - competition makes some firms succeed and some wither away?

I don't think that you can blame the taxes and the cost of workforce for everything, really. It is not like the German companies themselves were downright shitty, are they? The investment ratio, after all, hasn't significantly fallen in for example Germany, even if the labour rights are relatively high when compared to United States. I bet USA has lost as many jobs to China as Germany has (per capita).
By arcis
It is not like the German companies themselves were downright shitty, are they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bi ... _net_worth

13. Karl Albrecht ($17 billion)
22. Theo Albrecht ($15.2 billion)

The Albrecht brothers, who make their money in Germany with their disounter ALDI despite of the high taxes. There is money
in the german retail market, you only have to take it from the Albrecht brothers.

http://www.aldi.com/
By Andres
Anyway, discount stores make money at very low prices based on the volume of business they do, the stores were unable to move sufficient merchandise with these restricted operating hours.

Who better? I just answered for you some of the most basic questions about capitalism that are second nature to capitalists, truth be told, wal-mart is gone because of the German tax rate on businesses, ...You do realize that losing the company is the fault of the host and not the company don"t you?.

Well Pennymarkt, Lidl and Aldi seem to be doing great. I think the owners of Aldi are the richest persons in the EU. These stores are very cheap, and indeed make their profit by being discount stores.

arcis wrote:One of the Walmart problems is, that in Munich you have several reasonable stores in at the most 10 minutes walking distance. Where I live, I can choose between 5 different groceries in this distance, where I can buy everything for daily life. There is no need for the huge Walmart superstore, where I could buy all the stuff I need for one month all at once. This concept does not go with the German way of life.

This is why I think Walmart didnt make it. There is a Lidl, a Penny and a HL (more upscale) within 5 minutes by public transportation from my house, Walmart is about 45 minutes away by public transport. Needless to say, I have never bought anything here in Walmart.

Useless fact: In Mexico Walmart is considered an upscale store, and caters to that bracket.
By CeilingCat
There is no need for the huge Walmart superstore, where I could buy all the stuff I need for one month all at once

I dont even see how this would be possible since the refrigerators in Germany are so small compared to the ones in the USA. There is no way you could fit all your food for a month in there even considering the amazing milk (Wundermilch I used to call it) they have where you can buy it and leave it in your shelf for 2 months unrefrigerated and drink it and it will taste just fine.

The shop-hours are very strictly regulated. Shops are closed on sundays and national holidays. Regular shop-hours are from 9.00 am to 8.00 pm.

This was hard to get used to comming from the USA. On some weekends where monday was a holiday and I had forgotten to go shopping on saturday I would have to live off of food and beer from gas stations untill the stores opened again on Tuesday.

I never did see a Walmart in Germany. I wasnt aware they were even there untill I read this thread but I guess it's a moot point now since they're evacuating the country.
By Shade2
Hopefully they will move to Poland, ensuring more jobs, competition and happiness of consumers.
By Andres
Hopefully they will move to Poland, ensuring more jobs, competition and happiness of consumers.

Wal-mart does not promote competition, in fact it tries to stiffle competition (as any corporotion would try to do). Consumers do not need Wal-mart to be happy, and nor does Wal-mart ensure more jobs (or at least not significantly more jobs)
By Nets
Yea, but who can resist 6 pairs of socks for $2? Who I ask you???
By Shade2
Wal-mart does not promote competition, in fact it tries to stiffle competition (as any corporotion would try to do). Consumers do not need Wal-mart to be happy, and nor does Wal-mart ensure more jobs (or at least not significantly more jobs)

My friend who travelled to America and enjoyed opportunities this wonderfull country offers to all good human beings, says he isn't happy that Walmart isn't in Poland and that he would be happy if it came t o us. I trust him and learning about Walmart makes me certain its existance would increase my happiness as consumer.

Sounds like Wallmart is fun.
By Nets
I love Wal-Mart. Evil, yes; but I am quite willing to overlook that, because they bribe me with their insane prices.
By Lokakyy

Well, you can get the same price from the Swedish Hennes&Mauritz or German Lidl - I don't see how Walmart is in any way special. In the end it will ultimately benefit the Chinese who make all this possible with extremely low labour costs. If I'm not wrong, the majority of Walmart products come from the same place as any European discount store product - from China.

And if the Polish are so happy to buy from Walmart, then by all means, I'm hoping that Walmart spreads its operations to Poland. Just don't expect any miraculous wonder-shop, really...apart from people like Shade2 who think that everything that comes from America is a gift from god, even when it is made in Peoples Republic of China.
By Shade2
..apart from people like Shade2 who think that everything that comes from America is a gift from god, even when it is made in Peoples Republic of China.

You touched my soft spot. I really love China, like Bejing Consensus, and hope it becomes world power equal to USA one day, offering an alternative political system, based on Singapore and freedom of press in regards to economical corruption :)
Well, you can get the same price from the Swedish Hennes&Mauritz or German Lidl - I don't see how Walmart is in any way special

I don't want to support perversive Swedish social changes or Germany with its nationalism :)
By Lokakyy
I don't want to support perversive Swedish social changes or Germany with its nationalism

The reply wasn't directed to you, but as a consumer you naturally have the right to make an ideological consumer decision like that. Though it seems that your choice is not a popular one as both companies seem to be doing just fine in Poland.

based on Singapore and freedom of press in regards to economical corruption

I'm not sure if I understand correctly - but Singapore certainly isn't a good model when it comes to freedom of press, ranking to level 147 on Reporters sans Frontieres, below countries like Belarus.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Russia doesn't have endless supply of weapons and[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]

Starlink satellites are designed to deorbit and bu[…]