Now reading - Page 37 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Rancid
A beginner's guide to short-term trading by toni turner

Pretty good book.. i'm trying to venture out of the world of mutual funds. I'm going to try a little swing and position trading when i save up some cash to play with...

sorry if it pisses the anti-capitalist off
By kamikaze718
1984- Orwell
Rule of Terror: Russia under Lenin and Stalin- Hellmut Andics
Double Cross- James Patterson
Alphabet of Manliness- Maddox
By Red Star
Aristotle's 'Politics'

God, that book got on my nerves.
By Abood
I think Plato's Republic is getting on my nerves. Shall I start worrying?

That book is way overrated. People talk about it like it's a holy book, but it's way too flawed. For one, every single person Socrates talks with seems to agree with him on everything. Since when does a philosophy conversation work like that?
By Nets
Excursions in Number Theory
John Anderson and C. Stanley Olgivy
By galactus
I am currently reading, among other things:

Martin Heidegger - Sein und Zeit

!

I think Plato's Republic is getting on my nerves. Shall I start worrying?

That book is way overrated. People talk about it like it's a holy book, but it's way too flawed. For one, every single person Socrates talks with seems to agree with him on everything. Since when does a philosophy conversation work like that?

One of the difficulties in reading antique philosophers is that you have to refrain from criticising them with modern tools.

I didn't like it either, by the way. I generally do not enjoy reading the greeks in their original form.
Last edited by galactus on 31 Jan 2008 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
By Quercus Robur
:)

Female Eunuch - Greer
The Fallout - Andrew Anthony
Milestones - Sayyid Qutb
By Modificador
I am currently reading "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Friedrich Nietzsche, which I am actually enjoying, and I have just finished "Hyperion" by Dan Simmons, a science fiction novel that I really liked.

Truth-a-naut wrote:Beevor's "The Spanish Civil War".

I used to think the war was just some sort of footnote in that turbulent era, I didn't know it was so intense and bloody.

If you like to read some novels about the Spanish Civil War I would recommend you "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway and "Homage to Catalonia" by George Orwell. Just in case you haven't read them, although they are quite famous.
By Doomhammer
I am reading "We Europeans" by Richard Hill. It's quite funny.
By Ombrageux
I've just read:
Mighty and the Meek by US diplomat Vernon Walters. It's not bad, it's a book of his meetings with all the famous people he met, which seems to include every important leader who speaks a Western European language from WW2 to the end of the Cold War (he was an interpreter as he spoke English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish AND German..).

Ludwig Wittgenstein: the Duty of Genius by Ray Monk. A mammoth biography, I can't say the most important philosopher of the 20th century emerges in good shape from this book. He comes across as perpetual angsty teenager and a bit of a crank. (and his personal ethics are just weird)

The Prince by Machiavelli. What a tiny little book! And not nearly as devilishly cynical as you might expect. He condemns being generous for its own sake, yes, it is better to be feared than loved, but he also argues for arming the people, for being on the side of the people (not the nobles), for encouraging the arts and sciences and generally being a virtuous leader, which is different from being a clean one. The book didn't blow me away though, I can't really see why its become a classic of Western political philosophy.
By ingliz
Water of the Hills{Jean de Florrette and Manon of the Springs} by Marcel Pagnol
The Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov
By Red_Army
A Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man by: James Joyce, I'm almost done and I enjoyed it a lot. Its very dense though.
By Le Rouge
Metapolitics by Alain Badiou.

Fascinating, though I'm not sure I agree.
By noemon
Abood, reading Plato requires a curriculum, exegesis, a tutor, you can't just pick up his late work and read it.

All the Platonic works are extremely annoying in this respect, this is the reason why the Platonic Philosophy is called: a religious philosophy.

Galactus, may i ask, why you do not capitalize the term "Greeks" ?

Am reading Karen Armstrong's, A History of God.
By Stipe
Mussolini's Italy: Life Under the Fascist Dictatorship, 1915-1945 by R.J.B Bosworth
By Doomhammer
The book didn't blow me away though, I can't really see why its become a classic of Western political philosophy.

To be perfectly honest, I think it is a bit overrated. I've read the Prince, Discourses and the Art of War by Machiavelli and although there are memorable moments, the texts aren't entirely profound in my humble opinion.

Abood, reading Plato requires a curriculum, exegesis, a tutor, you can't just pick up his late work and read it.

I agree. I bought the Republic for philosophy class last year and tried to tackle it by myself before we started reading it. Needless to say, I don't think anything would have made sense without the instructor... although reading it again after the lectures proved to be an easy and rewarding task.

Myself:

Currently reading:

Modern Times from 1917 to 1980's by Paul Johnsson - for Diplomatic History II. As history books go, it is one of the most boring and long books one could ever find.
Since I'vre read Diplomacy by Kissinger, I am reading Oral Sander's (poor guy) Diplomatic History book vol. II to accompany those two.

In the meantime, I've finally started and made good progress with "On War" by von Clausewitz.
By galactus
Galactus, may i ask, why you do not capitalize the term "Greeks"

Because they do not deserve it.
World War II Day by Day

On paper, and to a great extent in practice too, […]

This is a story about a woman who was denied adequ[…]

Yes, it does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]