Essential Worker's BILL OF RIGHTS
1. Workplace-appropriate health and safety protections, including personal protective equipment and an Occupational Safety and Health Administration emergency temporary standard.
2. Fair and substantive premium pay during this crisis that recognizes the higher risks that essential workers are facing, with higher benefits for workers who earn low wages and thus need it most.
3. Protection for all collective bargaining agreements so that they cannot be changed or dissolved by employers during this crisis, including during bankruptcy proceedings.
4. Truly universal paid sick leave and family and medical leave, as outlined in Senator Murray's Providing Americans Insured Days of Leave Act, so all essential workers, without exception, can care for themselves, family members or dependents without being required to submit a doctor's note.
5. Protections for whistleblowers, so workers who witness unsafe conditions can surface concerns without fear of any form of retaliation, including termination.
6. An end to employers' misclassification of workers as "independent contractors" as a way to avoid providing them with the full suite of benefits and protections available to employees.
7. Health care for all workers during this crisis, regardless of immigration status, provided at no cost through public programs, and a full federal subsidy for 15 months of continued health care coverage for employees who lose eligibility.
8. Guaranteed child care to ensure essential workers have access to reliable, safe, healthy and high-quality child care at no cost.
9. A place at the table for workers in setting safety and compensation standards in response to the coronavirus, so policies now and going forward reflect workers' insights into needs and gaps in existing protections.
10. Accountability for corporations so that taxpayer dollars go to help workers, not wealthy CEOs, shareholders or political cronies.
(Warren & Khanna, 2020)
Warren, E., & Khanna, R. (2020, May 13). Opinion: 10 worker protections that should be in the US government's next aid package. Retrieved May 13, 2020, from https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/13/perspect ... index.html
"All in all the time." -US Navy SEAL saying
"Put everything you’ve got in what you do. If you do that, win or lose, you will be a champion." -PO