Generation War - Is the US a Gerontocracy? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15092369
Given the extra-ordinary sustained mass hysteria following the election of Trump one would think that the Democrat Party would take this coming US election seriously enough to field their best possible candidate to forestall another four years of TDS salt. But no, their top choice is Biden, a drooling groping ancient. If they did not pick Biden it would have been Bernie Sanders, also a septuagenarian. Which begs the question, why would the Dems be forced to resort to raiding retirement homes in order to get a candidate up against Trump (who also it must be said is a septuagenarian)? The answer is of course because they are boomers and boomers only vote for boomers. That is the secret of Biden's electability, he is a boomer. In Monty Python's day you could have anything you like to eat as long as it was SPAM. SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, all day every day. Nowadays the US voter can elect anyone they like as long as they are a boomer. Nothing but wall-to-wall boomers; greedy, perverted, narcissistic and corrupt boomers.

For the past half-century the political demographic split represented by the two main US parties was urban vs rural, civilian vs military, but all being boomers. It can not last though. The boomer hegemony does not have time on its side. The more time passes the more of that voting block will erode to the favour of the funeral parlours. As they finally fade away the other younger generations will gradually become significant politically. This will represent a growth opportunity for the first party to court the oppressed younger generations instead of the all-dominating boomers.

I think the Dems have generally been the most pro-active in sourcing new voter blocks, even courting illegal immigrants, but yet they are still held hostage to the boomers it seems. 2020 was a golden opportunity for them to become the party of the young people by fielding a candidate who still had his or her teeth and hair. They failed. The republicans are stuck with Trump in 2020 of course because he is the incumbent. What comes after though? How long can the boomers hold the younger people down? Which party will be the first to flip over to courting the young? When will it happen? 2024? 2028? Later still?
#15092375
The US is an oligarchy. Not a democracy, not a republic. The US voting system does not measure votes, it creates them. Specifically, the operatives who have access to electronic voting machine software create the necessary votes to achieve the desired outcome. That older voters are a conservative demographic is useful to them, but hardly necessary.
#15092377
quetzalcoatl wrote:The US is an oligarchy. Not a democracy, not a republic. The US voting system does not measure votes, it creates them. Specifically, the operatives who have access to electronic voting machine software create the necessary votes to achieve the desired outcome. That older voters are a conservative demographic is useful to them, but hardly necessary.

That sounds like a conspiracy theory. If that were true then the absolute rage status antipathy that exists from the ground up to the top would be completely fake. The US is not a one party state, what you are describing is a one party state. The US is passed back and forth between two roughly equally powerful parties that really seem to be in a deep competition with each other. Voter fraud may exist of course because either party has powerful incentives to load the dice where they can but the effects will be marginal or else no one would dump the funds they do into the campaign process.
#15092383
SolarCross wrote: Voter fraud may exist of course because either party has powerful incentives to load the dice where they can but the effects will be marginal


Major elections can be stolen if the vote is close so the effects aren't marginal.
#15092386
Sivad wrote:Major elections can be stolen if the vote is close so the effects aren't marginal.

That is the incentive I was talking about but the point is if the two parties are independent of each other and in competition with each other they can not rely on that only to win, they still need an actual voter base to get them to the point where a little fiddling might help.

It is like two atheletes running a race against each other. Each one might have a little incentive to cheat by taking performance enhancing drugs but they can not rely on that only and expect to win. They both still have to invest in constant training for that marginal little boost from cheating to have any chance of giving a benefit worth its risk.
#15092765
SolarCross wrote:It is like two atheletes running a race against each other. Each one might have a little incentive to cheat by taking performance enhancing drugs but they can not rely on that only and expect to win. They both still have to invest in constant training for that marginal little boost from cheating to have any chance of giving a benefit worth its risk.


Apt comparison. The two runners in a race are both heading to the same finish line.

Make no mistake, the propaganda goes both ways. […]

@Godstud do you remember the 1980s or what about[…]

I am an Agnostic Atheist. I don't believe, but I […]

Am I creepy?

Other. (You forgot that option) You're weird. […]