Wittgenstein was a pro-Stalin communist, possibly a spy - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Workers of the world, unite! Then argue about Trotsky and Stalin for all eternity...
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I found a webpage in which someone paraphrases some of the arguments of the book The Jew of Linz by Kimberly Cornish to this effect.

[Source.]

Wittgenstein was offered the chair in Philosophy at Kazan University, Lenin's old university (p.400). This would never have been offered to a non-Stalinist.

In 1922 Wittgenstein "fled to Russia" (p.42).

Bartley records that at the monastery where Wittgenstein worked in 1926, people remembered him as "a left-winger" (p.42).

Wittgenstein returned to Cambridge in 1929. Philby started at Trinity in 1929, Burgess in October 1930, Maclean in 1931 and Blunt was elected to Trinity in 1932.

All Trinity spies were homosexual, as was Wittgenstein.

Wittgenstein was an early member of the "Cambridge Apostles" many of whom were communists, and all the spies were members (p.43). Wittgenstein was excommunicated in 1912 but this was revoked on his return in 1929 "certainly with communist support" (p. 44). All the Cambridge Apostles were under surveillance from Australia by AS10 (p.45).

Wittgenstein influenced a number of well-known Marxists such as Julian Bell (p.44) and Lettice Bell (p.45).

Wittgenstein and Blunt lived at the same hostel (p.45).

It is likely the "dispute over poetry" which led to many resignations from the Communist Party in Cambridge was Bell?s poem against Wittgenstein (p.47).

George Thompson describes Wittgenstein?s attitude to Marxism as "he was opposed to it in theory but supported it in practise" (p.48).

In 1934 Wittgenstein said to Rowland Hill "I am a Communist at heart" (p. 48).

Many of Wittgenstein?s friends were Marxists, e.g. George Thompson, Nichola Bachtin, Maurice Dobb and Piero Sraffa (p.48).

Piero Sraffa was a Communist Marxist whose opinion Wittgenstein valued above all others, and who Wittgenstein said was a major influence on him in Philosophical Investigations (p.45).

A.C. Jackson said "Wittgenstein?s politics were ultra-left wing, strong sympathies for Stalin and the Soviet Union" (p.49).

Rush Rhees records Wittgenstein records Wittgenstein?s support for the Soviet Union (p.49).

Monk notes Wittgenstein was taken to be a "Stalinist" (p.50).

Wittgenstein is on record expressing his support for Stalin in 1939 (p.51).

Wittgenstein?s students formed the nucleus of the Cambridge Communists (p.52).

The recruiter for the Soviet Union at Cambridge had to be there by 1929, was a Cambridge Apostle and was at Trinity - there are 13 possible candidates including Wittgenstein and of them Wittgenstein is the most likely name on the list (p.56).

Wittgenstein was a powerful influence on people (p.58) such as Malcom, Seale, McConville (p.59) - just the quality needed as a recruiter for the Soviet Union.

Rush Rhees records Wittgenstein speaking in defense of Communist party discipline (p.60).

Wittgenstein spoke from a left-wing perspective on Jarrow (p.61).

In 1935 Wittgenstein was still planning to live in Russia, a wish he had expressed in the 1920s (p.62).

Wittgenstein?s activities indicate he was finding out about British scientists working on the atomic bomb (p.64-65).

Wittgenstein was an acquaintance of leading Communist Maurice Dobb (p.71).

Wittgenstein learned Russian to become a Soviet Citizen (p.73).

Wittgenstein is again on record as expressing "strong sympathies for.. Russia" (p.73).

Blunt and Wittgenstein were both in Moscow together in 1935 (p.74), and at this time there were a number of Communists who sailed for Leningrad in 1935 (p.74).

Wittgenstein had family connections with Russia (p.76-77).

Wittgenstein died on April 28th, 1951. Burgess and Maxlean defected Friday, 25th May 1951. Burgess returned to Cambridge on May 19th to "tidy up some loose ends" then defected. This indicates Wittgenstein?s death prompted the defections.

Wittgenstein wanted to work on a collective farm in the USSR, but was told to carry on his work as he was making a "useful contribution" (p.81).

I know. I quoted that bit too. If you read my pos[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster I will never vote for Biden ever. That[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]