Would the candidates affect your 2008 US Prez vote? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Would the choice of candidates affect your 2008 vote?

Yes - I would only vote REP if my candidate was chosen
21%
No - I would vote REP regardless of candidate
4%
Yes - I would only vote DEM if my candidate was chosen
11%
No - I would vote DEM regardless of candidate
23%
Other
40%
This is just to see if you are voting for a 'party' or really voting for a 'candidate'. I've tried to limit the poll options to try to get something that shows a clear result, rather than all sorts of dispersed answers.

For all answers you should specify. I have no wish to keep people that can't vote for reasons of age of nationality out of contributing to the poll, but it would be useful for people to specify in their responses whether or not they are eligible to vote and who their preferred candidate is at the moment.

As I've kept the options limited, if you would vote REP or DEM depending on the candidates (rather than simply not vote if your candidate isn't chosen) you should vote 'other' and specify this.
By Nets
Other:

I'd vote Clinton over all Republican.

Obama over Romney, Ron Paul, Fred Thompson, Guliani.

Obama v. Huckabee and Obama v. McCain is close, though I think Obama in the first case and McCain in the second.

John Edwards over all Republicans, except:

Edwards v. Huckabee -- dead tie

Edwards v. McCain -- McCain wins

Just for the record, I am 20 and a registered Democrat in NJ.

____________ Clinton_______Obama_______Edwards
Romney --------Clinton----------Obama----------Edwards
Guliani---------Clinton----------Obama----------Edwards
Paul-------------Clinton----------Obama----------Edwards
McCain----------Clinton----------McCain---------McCain
Thompson-------Clinton----------Obama----------Edwards
Huckabee-------Clinton----------Obama----------Tie

In a Mike Bloomberg runs as a third party choice, I'd pick him over everyone but Clinton.

Ideally, Al Gore would run. :*(

I'm also curious to see how this plays out.... :p
By Oxymoron
I would vote Republican, I would only switch parites if Romney was nominated.

If Romney is the Rep candidate I will vote Obama or Clinton
By Goranhammer
There is no Democrat in this election I would vote for.

There is almost no Republican I wouldn't vote for, with the exception of Paul and Huckabee.

So I either vote Republican or I don't vote.
By Praetor
I'll probably vote for a Dem unless the match up is

Clinton vs. McCain

Or

Clinton vs. Paul

In which case I would vote Republican. I hate Hilary Clinton.
By Clausewitz
  1. Edwards
  2. Obama
  3. Giuliani
  4. Romney
  5. Clinton
  6. McCain
  7. Huckabee
  8. Thompson
  9. Paul, Hunter, Kucinich etc.
By Kapanda
Just for the record, I am 20 and a registered Democrat in NJ.

Good job, for being so young and active in your country's political process (I'm 20 myself).
By Dr House
Republican only if my candidate was nominated.

I would vote for Ron Paul, and might vote for John McCain. They both got the right ideas about trade and fiscal policy. McCain wants to stay in Iraq for the next century, but at least he'd stop torturing people and tapping phone lines. Social issues are pretty moot this time around. Gay marriage is already banned in most states and the absolute worst a President can do about abortion is appoint judges that would overturn Roe v. Wade and give power back to the States. However, the policies of the rest of the Republican field just scare me, so I would vote Dem if neither of my two candidates came up. And in fact, I might think twice before voting for McCain.
By Le Rouge
I would only vote for the candidate that would redefine the political terrain to a more advantageous position for the dispossessed.
By Nets
^ Khmer Rouge, what does that mean? Doesn't really answer the question, does it?
By Kleptonis
I'd pretty much vote for any Democrat over any Republican. I'd be tempted to switch over in the event of a Clinton v. Paul election, but that match-up definitely isn't happening.

Not voting if my candidate wasn't nominated would be a bit unreasonable on my part, considering my top three candidates are the three Democrats who aren't front-runners. At this point I'm just hoping my candidates end up with the VP pick (an Obama-Richardson campaign looks especially good to me).
Last edited by Kleptonis on 07 Jan 2008 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
By Dan
No - I would vote REP regardless of candidate

There is no Dem candidate I would vote for over any of the Rep candidates. Watching the debates, I kinda liked Edwards, but not enough to vote for him over any of the Republican candidates.

I am Canadian. My preferred candidates would be either Romney, Huckabee, or McCain.
By The Immortal Goon
Other

I would only vote for the candidate that would redefine the political terrain to a more advantageous position for the dispossessed.

That more or less sums it up. In the past few elections I voted Democrat largely because some kind of demonstration, I thought, was needed to make people remember that the Democrats talk a lot of talk but don't do much of anything. Since this more or less occurred, and whatever people are paying attention have seen this trend in the Senate, I'm more or less free from any obligation I might have had to the DNC.

Thus, I'll probably vote third party this time around unless something truly churns my stomach and would basically just be embarrassing - like Huckabee making a strong bible-based run against a less offensive floundering Democrat, like Obama or Edwards. I would not vote for Clinton in such a race though and - in honesty - in such a condition I would probably only be voting Democrat in such a case because I found an excuse to let my New Dealer upbringing squash my better judgment.
By El Gilroy
Other: I'm no American. Plus, I'm against voting.
By Gnote
No - I would vote DEM regardless of candidate

I am Canadian.

Ideally, my list would be like this:

1. Kucinich
[2. Gore]
2. Obama
3. Edwards
4. Clinton
5. Any other democrat, not so much because they're democrat as because they would most likely be better than any of the specific GOP nominees.
6. Paul
By bbarett
I don't at all consider myself to be voting for a party rather than voting for a candidate. Simply put, this time around, I strongly dislike all of the Republican candidates. I mean, I would more MORE upset to see John McCain make it as opposed to Mike Huckabee, I suppose.

And, to be fair, I find most of the democratic candidates completely unlikable as well. I tentitively support Clinton and Obama as the only options that are "decently okay."
By Zyx
Democrat . . . but I do not much fancy Obama . . . he's too . . . "cute."

Besides, everything says he'd be assassinated. JFK references, that he's Black, Young (in appearance,) and attractive.

But yeah, I'd vote for him still; because he is Blue.

I probably would not vote for Hillary if she were a Republican; but I do not know, my mother voted for the Republican mayors in New York (or was it that she did not vote?)

Anyway, I'm a party loyalist.
By ingliz
Other-Not that I am eligible to vote but even if I were I'd still vote 'other'.I would consciously abstain as your democracy is a sham.As I have said before the US is a one party state and your elections a circus whose only purpose is to amuse us more politically aware Europeans.
By Rancid
Other.. I vote for who fits my interest... unfortunately both parties don't.. i they both crumble

According Indian media Hamas has just offered a p[…]

@Tainari88 no, Palestinian children don't deserv[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]