Musharraf tells US To "Stay Out of Pakistan" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has made it clear that a U.S. military mission to capture Osama bin Laden or other top al Qaeda leaders on Pakistani soil would be unwelcome and "against the sovereignty of Pakistan."

President Musharraf says the United States would regret attempting to hunt for Osama bin Laden in western Pakistan.

President Musharraf told the Singapore Straits Times that his military has the experience to operate in the mountainous terrain near the Afghan border and if the United States went in they would "regret that day."

The New York Times reported last Sunday that the Bush administration is considering expanding covert operations in the western part of Pakistan to shore up support for Musharraf's government and to find bin Laden and his second in command, Ayman al-Zawahiri.

"Nobody will come here until we ask them to come and we haven't asked them," Musharraf told the Strait Times this week.

Strait Times reporter Anthony Paul asked Musharraf: "If the Americans came, would you treat that as an invasion?"

"Certainly," Musharraf said. "If they come without our permission, that's against the sovereignty of Pakistan."

He said if there is good intelligence that bin Laden is hiding in Pakistan "the methodology of getting him will be discussed together and we'll attack the target together."

"I do not lead a war on terror on behalf of the United States, but on behalf of Pakistan," Musharraf told French newspaper Le Figaro in an interview published Saturday.

"It is in Pakistan's interest to eradicate terrorism and extremism. This is what the Pakistani people wish, it does not want terrorists nor extremists ... We are leading our own war, even though Pakistan's interests on that point are shared with those of the United States and the coalition in Afghanistan."

Musharraf told CNN's Wolf Blitzer last month that "it is Pakistan's forces which will act" if there is "actionable intelligence" that senior al Qaeda leaders are in Pakistan, although he would consider U.S. assistance.

In the latest interview, Musharraf noted that U.S. forces were having trouble chasing al Qaeda in similar terrain in southern Afghanistan.

"The United States seems to think that what our army cannot do, they can do," he said. "This is a very wrong perception. I challenge anybody to come into our mountains. They would regret that day. It's not easy there."

Musharraf said every tribes in Pakistan's FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas) "has its own armory and they don't like intrusions into their privacy at all."

He said the British never dared go there and the Pakistan government waited 50 years after gaining independence to enter.

"It was only after we dealt with them and reached an agreement with them that we moved in the army in 2001," he said.

"We do operate in these areas. It's within the capacity of the Pakistan armed forces. And yet some people think U.S. or coalition forces from Afghanistan will come in and they will hunt him down...This is a misperception.

"It's better if they ask some military or intelligence commander of their own whether their army, their people, coming into our mountains will operate better than our army

Seems Musharaff is getting antsy. Though with the American track record in that area, who can blame him?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html
By W01f
Can't really blame him for not wanting his country to turn into another Afghanistan/Iraq, which it inevitably would.
By a pawn
"It is in Pakistan's interest to eradicate terrorism and extremism. This is what the Pakistani people wish, it does not want terrorists nor extremists ... We are leading our own war, even though Pakistan's interests on that point are shared with those of the United States and the coalition in Afghanistan."

Notice how he doesn't mention Iraq in this summary of WOT conflicts.
By Nets
Pakistan is pretty fucked up as is....but no, American ops in the country certainly wouldn't help things. The Baluchis, Sindhs, Pashtuns and Punjabis in Pakistan are an Iraq styles Sunni/Shia/Kurd style clusterfuck in waiting.

But then again, we gave Pakistan something like $15 billion in military aid over the last nine years, and that does come with certain strings attached.
By Zagadka
Key regional ally abandons America's struggle to being Freedom and Apple Pie.

Can't really blame him for not wanting his country to turn into another Afghanistan/Iraq, which it inevitably would.

Er, especially if there were a war with Iran. Pakistan = Belgium.
By Goranhammer
Sorry. I trust this Islamic republic about as far as Qatz can throw them. They'll never convince me that they're even remotely serious about bin Laden, and even if they did "capture" him, I don't see them punishing him properly...or punishing him at all.

That'd be like having Bush in control of capturing and prosecuting Rumsfeld.
By Oxymoron
Musharaf was not addressing the US he was addressing his Nation, He agreed to let in more US special forces, and will certainly let US continue airmissions in support of or independtent of the Pakistani army.
By Piano Red
Musharaf was not addressing the US he was addressing his Nation, He agreed to let in more US special forces, and will certainly let US continue airmissions in support of or independtent of the Pakistani army.

Nailed it.

This announcement was more for domestic consumption than anything else. Musharraf has his hands way too full at the moment to actually start a row with the US, and considering the substantial support he gets I doubt he'd want to disrupt it.
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
That'd be like having Bush in control of capturing and prosecuting Rumsfeld.

Or even having Bush in control of capturing and prosecuting bin Laden :|
By QatzelOk
So while Pakistanis are allowed to roam all over Pakistan unfettered by laws, Americans aren't allowed to? Why do Pakistanis get more rights than Americans?
By keso
Sovereignty...What a concept. How dare he want it in light of American wants and needs.
By Ash
Should the United States Government dare to launch an attack on sovereign Pakistan territory it should be prosecuted for war crimes. In January of 2006 the United States unleashed military aggression against Pakistan, murdering many innocent civilians. This is no way for a member of the United Nations to behave towards another country.
By InterestedInPolitics
I think Musharaff has backed down in going after Bin Laden after several assination attempts on his life. I could be wrong. However, I think the US should, if Musharaff has lost the will to help the US track down somebody who has killed 3000 americans, then Bush, should authorize secret covert special forces operations into Pakistani territory and do whatever is necessary to track down and capture or if necessary, kill Osama Bin Laden and his followers. The sole targets should only be Al-queda and his followers. If it is possible to capture him alive, then Osama Bin Laden should be brought back to a US court to face trial for his crimes against the American people, which should include victim impact statements from relatives and survivors of 9/11, after Bin Laden would obviously have been convicted. This should not include the death penalty, as part of any punishment, in my view, despite the overwhelming henious nature of the crime in which Bin Laden is responsible for, based on my own personal view of opposing the death penalty. However, if it becomes clear that Bin Laden cannot be taken into custody alive, then, I think it is prudent to take his life, given the threat to life he poses to others.
By Zagadka
Should the United States Government dare to launch an attack on sovereign Pakistan territory it should be prosecuted for war crimes.

Pffft. That would hardly be notable. Hell, Turkey launches air raids into Kurdistan, with complete tolerance.
By Carpe Veritas
Mussharaf has many problems - he's criticised for being to closely linked to the U.S. for one, and this statement is a good way of distancing himself from that, and re aligning himself to the independent nationalist Pakistan folks who drive the political economy there.
By PBVBROOK
Sovereignty...What a concept. How dare he want it in light of American wants and needs.

If we want him to have Sovereignty we will give it to him. Or should I say allow him to perpetuate the notion that he already does.
By InterestedInPolitics
Pakistan has a right to sovereignty, but the US also has a right to capture Osama Bin Laden and his followers, if necessary, kill them, if capturing them proves impossible. It's a dicey situation, which I think covert special forces troops need to be used to go after Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan, secretly, if Musharaff has lost the will to go after Osama Bin Laden. This is our fight, not Musharaff's fight. Our beef is not with Pakistan, but with Bin Laden, this is why I think special forces troops should secretly go into Afghanistan, unbeknowst to Pakistan and hopefully avoid detection while hunting down Bin Laden.
By PBVBROOK
Is it close enough to the election to get Bin Laden already? Nah. Wait until October.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]