Canada Abandons UN Racism Conference - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Canada has withdrawn its support for a U.N. anti-racism conference scheduled to take place in South Africa next year after deeming it to be anti-Israel, a government official said Wednesday.

The so-called Durban II conference "has gone completely off the rails" and Canada wants no part of it, said Jason Kenney, Canada's secretary of state for multiculturalism and Canadian identity.

"We'll attend any conference that is opposed to racism and intolerance, not those that actually promote racism and intolerance," he said.

Kenney said that during the 2001 World Conference Against Racism in Durban, Arab and Muslim countries criticized Israel, prompting Israel and the United States to walk out in protest. But he added that Canada remained to speak up for Israel.

The U.N. declined to comment directly on Canada pulling out of the conference, but U.N. spokeswoman Marie Okabe said "racism is too important an issue for member states not to work out their differences."

Kenney said his government was left with no choice but to abandon the process, expressing displeasure with Libya elected to chair the gathering, Cuba appointed vice-chair, and Iran named to the organizing committee.

"This (Iran) is a country whose government has publicly expressed its desire to eliminate the only Jewish country in the world," he said.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hzBJ3YmTLoCiEIisMtb-XUOipaEAD8UBSVPG2

The conduct of the Canadian government is provocative and poses a serious threat to the integrity of the United Nations. It's intriguing that while Canada makes the baseless allegation of an anti-Israel bias at the United Nations, the Canada regime itself presents nothing but bias with this attempt to sabotage an important UN conference on behalf of Israel. The irrefutable fact is that Israel has been found guilty countless times by the United Nations for its sadistic treatment of the Palestinians, its unlawful occupation of the Palestinian lands, and aggression towards various countries. Since the defeat of the Hitlerite coalition, it is Israel which has persistently sought to disturb world peace with its ruthless expansionism and efforts to dominate the near east by proxy and vassalage. The Canadian people would do well to drive out this repulsive degenerate Harper.
By Brutus
How do you feel about affirmative action or reverse racism if you will?

Gotta get a feel for who you are.
By Abood
Just a couple of months after opposing a declaration for indigenous peoples' rights.

Canada is on a roll.
By sazerac
41 other UN member nations voted not to fund this antisemitic rant fest including Australia, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, UK, Spain, and the US.

Canada is just the first of many to publicly opt out of this charade.

The UN lost any credibility it may have had many years ago. So don't worry about Canada doing any more harm to it.
By QatzelOk
It's hard for the rich to get over the fact that the current state called "Israel" is one of humankind's most racist constructs ever.

They just can't believe that something so full of cash could ever be bad in any way.

Remember, only 17% of Canadians support the Afghan mission, and support for Israel's slow genocide of Palestine is even lower. Stephen Harper is the oil fields Prime Minister, and not the leader of the people of Canada.
By Rancid
"Jewish" is a race now? :?:
By Dan
Good for Canada.

Glad to see Stephen Harper has the balls to do what's right.
By The American Lion
Israel's slow genocide of Palestine is even lower.

There is no genocide. The Palestinian population is growing and now shrinking.
By Donna
Another fine position of the Harper government.

Good on Canada.
By Abood
I change my stance. I think every conference where people leave with the 'Elders of Zion' book should not be supported.
By Truth-a-naut
The first Durban conference was a fucking joke. A bunch of bloated African and Muslim dictators sitting around taking shots at the West while our weak spineless liberals glorified multiculturalism.

4 days later we saw the logical conclusion of Durban I.
By Tonic
TAL

There is no genocide. The Palestinian population is growing and now shrinking.

Shrinking, where do you get that? no shrinking at all. Look at Gaza. The root cause there is the highest birth rate in the world due to UNRWA aid for them.
By Oxymoron
UN = UnNecessary.

Jewish" is a race now

It has always been a race.
By Rancid

i thought it was a religion
By Nets
Abood wrote:I change my stance. I think every conference where people leave with the 'Elders of Zion' book should not be supported.

Glad to hear it Abood. I am all for conferences combating discrimination and racism, but I don't support hate-fests that act like Jews cause all the problems in the world, via the Arab-Israeli conflict. It has long been a tactic of dictators in the non-aligned movement to distract attention from their regimes by targeting Israel.

Rancid wrote:I thought it was a religion

Well, both are correct. Ashkenazi, Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews are all ethnically Jewish and descend from the Israelites. This is the vast, vast, vast majority of Jews.

Meanwhile, Ethiopian or Indian Jews are "religiously" Jewish, but not ethnically.

It's complex.
By Clann

No it hasn't, it has always been a religion.
By Oxymoron
No it hasn't, it has always been a religion

No it has always been a race directly related to a religion. Since Majority of Jews have not switched religions the two become related. I
By Tonic
Clann

No it hasn't, it has always been a religion.

Clannn, do you think the Israelites were first and foremost religion? No. They adopted the Moses Torah (the Hebrew bible) as nationhood act. They were a people of thier own before Moses made them "Jewish".

Judaism is not like Christianity or Islam (for that reason it's not encourage convertion!) It's more like, let say Hindu. A nation with religion. Complex.
By Clann
How can you know the racial composition of the Israelites? I'm sure they were, like us all, very genetically diverse. How do you explain the conversion of the Khazars to Judaism? Are they ethnically Jewish?

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]