What's the biggest Outrage of the modern world? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I couldn't put this in Opinion Polls for obvious reasons.

If you were to choose just one thing that you feel is absolutely wrong, and offends beyond all reason, what would that thing be? What is the thing that offends you beyond all other things?

Try to avoid the one-word answer - it might be good to know why that thing offends you, too...
By SpiderMonkey
Capitalism is the greatest outrage. A system of distribution that enriches a few, whilst impoverishing and starving millions - all the while defended by those who against all evidence associate this with freedom, and blame their enemies for the failures of capitalism.
By fris_ke
I mostly agree with spider monkey but for me social\political authority is as bigger outrage, the idea that one person or a small group of people should have authority over a larger group is inhumane and abhorrant.
By Meistro1
"If you were to choose just one thing that you feel is absolutely wrong, and offends beyond all reason, what would that thing be?"

Well I don't believe I ever get "offended" and don't really know what people mean when they say this (it seems like a way to try and put yourself in the upper hand in a social situation to me), I would say the thing I feel that is most absolutely wrong is the degree of acceptance that people have towards violence and coercion being used in all aspects of our soceity.
By Oxymoron
The Biggest outrage in the modern world is that we have lost our human identity and we try to be something we are not.
Capitalism is the greatest outrage. A system of distribution that enriches a few, whilst impoverishing and starving millions - all the while defended by those who against all evidence associate this with freedom, and blame their enemies for the failures of capitalism.

Nice offensive SpiderMonkey. :up:

The Biggest outrage in the modern world is that we have lost our human identity and we try to be something we are not.

Could you be a little more specific?
By sploop!
'Branding' gets me. Nowadays, everybody seems to wear their labels on the outside, and who made what you are wearing seems to be as important as any other quality it might have. Trainers, Jackets, T-Shirts, bloody designer water...

OK, so it's not as big as 'Capitalism', or the fact that we still have Nukes pointing at each other, but it really pisses me off in a very real way. You know, you can go into the Amazon rain forest, and someone will be wearing a GAP shirt.

What gets me isn't the thing itself, but what it represents. It's like the corporations have finally won - most of us don't even consider what we are doing; all we care about is that the label is right. Branding, for me, symbolises the triumph of stupidity over any sense we might once have had.
By Nets
For the first time, I actually agree with you Sploop. :up:

Although, I don't blame corporations and capitalism so much for it, I think the faults are on the demand side.
By hannu
The over use of Automobiles.

This is extremely hypocritical of me as I drive every day, I own quite a few cars, I drive for sport & I make a living by goods being transported.

I believe the over use of automobiles to be a net loss to humanity. Take kids for instance. Unless you live in the countryside where can they go out without fear of being run down? As a society we now give priority to a motorised peice of metal over a small child. Is that right?

There are loads of examples of automobiles being bad for humanity but most of us are blinkered to the truth. Far too much importance has been given to the automobile & the paved & de-humanised areas needed to use them.
By QatzelOk
The way mass media has been used to create an alternative universe of mythology.

This commercially-constructed mythology has altered the perception of "self" of all media consumers. This has lead to viewers living in a fake, merchant-constructed fantasyland of sunny drives in the country, and potato sack races on astroturf lawns. And global warming, and the destruction of labor rights and corporate regulations, and the reversal of hard-won battles for social programs and equality.

Commercial media is bringing the earth to suicide while listening to an Ipod.
By NoRapture
The new Western acceptance of governmentally institutionalized torture. This says everything about how far down our society has truly fallen in spite of leaps and advances in science and technology. When the torture of mere suspects to a crime becomes the norm, then the acquisition of wondrous conveniences of science become no different than the mountains of gold horded by the Roman Empire before its fall.
By Doomhammer
Nationalism is one of the most significant causes of conflicts and disputes around the world. Every other doctrine associated with it encourages disunity and hostility between different communities even though it is ultimately cooperation and common interest that binds people together, not race and language.
By MatthewJ
If you were to choose just one thing that you feel is absolutely wrong, and offends beyond all reason, what would that thing be? What is the thing that offends you beyond all other things?

Russian criminality and scheming and people's apathy, indifference, even encouragement of it.
By Doomhammer
Russian criminality and scheming and people's apathy, indifference, even encouragement of it.

Russia is alone responsible for everything wrong with the world?

You know what, I think I am going to change my answer to religion.
By Quercus Robur
when great swathes of people are conned artlessly :(
By ThereBeDragons
Hundreds of millions of preventable deaths.

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]