Sderot’s war children - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the nations of the Middle East.

Moderator: PoFo Middle-East Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By Tonic
Watch Video

Child injured in Sderot from Kassam rocket

MOD-DATE: 02/26/08 15:13:23

ISRAEL-WOUNDED CHILD

INTRO: Rocket attack in southern Israel wounds young boy.

Maria can be heard on the video crying and asking "Where is my mother?". Below Maria to her brother: "You don't worry"

Dramatic video shows a wounded 10-year-old boy laying in the arms of his sister, waiting for medical assistance.The boy was wounded after a rocket fired by Palestinian militants in Gaza hit nearby.

SHOWS:

1. TWO MEN TAKING COVER IN SDEROT, AUDIO OF EXPLOSION
2. CAMERAMAN RUNNING INTO SHOP
3. WOUNDED 10-YEAR-OLD CHILD LAYING ON FLOOR, CRYING BEING HELD BY SISTER
4. SISTER CRYING AND SHOUTING
5. AMBULANCE STAFF CARRYING WOUNDED BOY, WITH SHOULDER INJURY
6. AMBULANCE STAFF PICK UP THE YOUNG GIRL
6. VARIOUS OF BOY BEING PLACED IN AMBULANCE WHILE SISTER SHOUTING 'I WANT TO GO WITH MY BROTHER'
7. VARIOUS OF SITE OF ROCKET ATTACK AND AMBULANCE

STORY: An Israeli child, who was wounded by a Palestinian rocket attack from Gaza, was dragged by his young sister into a small grocery store on Monday (February 25), video footage showed. Ten-year-old Yossi Haimov from the southern Israeli town of Sderot was seen laying in the lap of his young sister Maria on the floor inside the store. Yossi's shoulder was split open. Maria can be heard on the video crying and asking "Where is my mother?" Moments later paramedics rush to the scene, bandage the boy's shoulder, and evacuated the children to a nearby hospital. Israeli media reported that after a several-hours of surgery, doctors managed to save the boy's arm.

Ends

Sderot’s war children

Monday’s rocket attack put an end to childhood of wounded boy and his sister

Anat Meidan Published: 02.26.08, 09:53 / Israel Opinion

The most gut-wrenching moment was 8-year-old Maria caressing the forehead of her older brother, Yossi, while he was lying wounded on the floor of the supermarket. There was no screaming, no panic, and no crying.

Just like any other 10-year-old boy who wants his mother at his side during tough times, he asked where she was, but realized that at that moment mom is not around. And Yossi, despite the Qassam shrapnel that was lodged in his shoulder, the blood around him, and the incredible pain, maintained incomprehensible restraint. He merely muttered that his shoulder hurts, and his little sister, just like a kind nurse, kept on caressing him.

He realized that only his little sister is near him, and as always he must protect her, so he drew on some incredible strength, chocked back the tears, and kept the pain inside him; a child hero who a minute earlier was still having fun, just like other children anywhere else in the world. He went to play soccer, after leaving his school bag at home.

So banal, so taken for granted anywhere else, yet so dangerous in Sderot.

An end to innocence
A child who attempted to live the routine life of a normal childhood in the midst of an abnormal and never-ending war routine almost paid by losing his arm. A child who, because of a rocket, shifted from the playground next to his home to the adult world, and there he learned on his flesh how painful hatred can be.

It was as if the look in the eyes of the wounded Yossi and Maria calming him down on the floor of the supermarket said: We knew that eventually it will hit us too.

How many “Color Red” alert scenarios went through their heads, how many times did they imagine the possibility that they will be wounded, and what it would be like, and what they would do? Did Yossi wonder whether he would lose his leg, just like the 8-year-old Osher Twito, who was wounded only two and a half weeks ago and will no longer be able to play soccer?

How many nightmares about death filled the nights of those two children? Did they talk to each other about their anxieties, or did they keep the fears to themselves?

A 10-year-old boy should not be a wounded hero, and it is completely unnecessary for an 8-year-old girl to see her brother bleeding. On Monday, a Qassam rocket wrested away the innocence and put and end to the childhood of Yossi and Maria, Sderot’s war children.

Qassam lands near Sderot school; child seriously injured

(Video) Ten-year-old boy sustains serious injuries to his arm during rocket attack on western Negev town; total of five Qassams fired toward Israeli territory from Gaza since morning hours

Shmulik Hadad Latest Update: 02.25.08, 16:50 / Israel News

VIDEO - A 10-year-old boy sustained serious injuries to his arm Monday when a Qassam fired by Palestinians in north Gaza landed near a school in Sderot.

The Popular Resistance Committees claimed responsibility for the attack.

Paramedics dispatched to the scene managed to stop the bleeding and evacuate the boy to the Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon. A number of other residents were treated for shock.

The parents of 10-year-old Yossi Haimov of Sderot received good news on Monday afternoon, after the hospital's deputy director-general, Dr. Ron Lobel, informed them that the doctors had managed to save their son's arm which was badly injured in the rocket attack.

Dr. Lobel updated the parents that the injury to Yossi's arm was very bad and caused damage to the tissues and nerves in the area.

"The surgery is not over, but as it seems at the moment, his arm was not damaged and he will be able to continue using it. He is still in the operation room," he said.

Yossi Haimov returned from school on Monday afternoon together with his eight-year-old sister, Maria. Maria later said that after returning from school, she and her brother left their bags in the house and went to visit a friend and later went out to the backyard.

"We heard the Color Red (alert system), quickly ran and hid, there was a small 'boom', and then when we came out there was once against a strong explosion. We hid near the wall and then the shrapnel hit Yossi in the shoulder and his entire shoulder was filled with blood," she said.

'Yossi didn't cry, but he said it hurts'

"We both quickly ran to a grocery store, screaming. The grocery store owner quickly called for an ambulance and they took Yossi to the hospital," Maria said.

Passerby called the children's mother, who rushed to the place from her office.

The sister continued to describe the moments of horror, "Yossi didn’t cry, he only kept telling me that it hurts. I don’t remember much from the injury. All I remember is that there was a lot of smoke, and when I saw Yossi's shoulder with blood I could see that his entire sholder was broken."

The children's father, Tashkent Haimov, said that he was informed of his son's injury while at work.

"I understood from the neighbors that he managed to hide behind a wall, and only his arm stuck out a little and was hurt. We were really lucky that he did not sustain more serious injuries.

"This is not the first time rockets land near our house, and our house was damaged several times. We have been living in Sderot for many years. I work in this city, my family lives here, and with every day that passes I don’t know how it will end and what will happen tomorrow. This is a situation we can't continue living with," Haimov concluded.

A total of three rockets were fired towards Israel since noon. One landed in the southern town's industrial zone, another landed in a grove near a school while the third hit a residential neighborhood.

During the attack a number of propane tanks exploded and damage was caused to several structures.

Earlier, two more Qassams were fired toward Israel. One landed in Gaza and the other landed in an open field south of Ashkelon.

The Police Southern District Commander, Maj. Gen. Uri Bar-Lev, and other senior police officers established a tactical headquarters in Sderot on Monday in wake of the human chain protest by Palestinians in Gaza.

Six-thousand five-hundred police officers and border police troops deployed along the fence between the Gaza Strip and Israel as well as around Gaza vicinity communities in order to aid IDF forces repel the demonstrators should they attempt to cross the border.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 49,00.html
By danholo
How am I supposed to respond?

[mb edit: by pointing out the number of Palestinians killed since the beginning of the intifada by Israelis.]
By War Angel
This is demeaning. Children should not be displayed in this manner. :hmm:
By Nets
MB. wrote:[mb edit: by pointing out the number of Palestinians killed since the beginning of the intifada by Israelis.]

You shouldn't use your moderator privileges to score political points.

That said, this is a pointless thread.
By Tailz
Tonic your such a Troll.

War Angel wrote:
This is demeaning. Children should not be displayed in this manner.

For once I totally agree with you.

NetsNJFan87 wrote:
You shouldn't use your moderator privileges to score political points.

That said, this is a pointless thread.

I agree, as much as I agree with the point MB raises, he should not have posted the comment as a Moderator, but as a personal post.

This thread is just the same as all those other threads showing kids dressing up as terrorists or waving guns around. Pointless excuses to demonize your enemy.
By War Angel
For once I totally agree with you.

I think that if you pay more attention to what I'm saying, you'll find you're in agreement with me more often than you realise. ;)

Pointless excuses to demonize your enemy.

And it's done in such a cheap manner. It's not as bad as, but still reminds me of Arab propaganda. It's sickening. I don't like it when people post pictures of suicide bombings and the like - the dead and injured should not be used like this, as they are still people. We know what war looks like, we know what terrorist acts look like, some of us have seen it up close.
By MB.
I was merely expanding Danholo's post so it wasn't a one-liner.

Which I would otherwise have deleted.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]