Legalization of Prostitution - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

SHould prostitution be legalized?

Yes, unconditionally
21%
Yes, with licensing
58%
Never
19%
Other
2%
This should be fairly simple. I'll lay out the questions, and follow with my own angle.

--

What one does with one's body is up to them, as long as they do not harm anyone. There are many numbers of jobswhere you arem ore personal than prostitution.

However, a bonus to legalizing prostitution would be the ability of the state to control disease; make prostitutes carry licenses with required regular physical examinations - just like any other business.

This gets rid of the vice surrounding prostitution, ensures public health, and allows personal liberty.
By Oxymoron
Obviously it should be legal and regulated:

1. It will encourage prositutes to get tested regularily.
2. Put more money into the Treasury through taxation ;)
3. Free up our jails and courts
4. Provide a safer enviroment for peoples to get their thing on
By JieMi
For some reason, I felt déjà vu when I saw this poll...

I think it would be ok if it was regulated... but I don't like the idea of younger people selling their bodies to elderly people... I find it... disturbing.
By Oxymoron
but I don't like the idea of younger people selling their bodies to elderly people... I find it... disturbing

You Prefer the opposite :eh:
By Immoral_Libertarian
I just don't understand why it is illegal in the first place (something to do with religion yeah?). Unlike with something like drugs say, which although I don't agree with being criminal, i at least can understand the arguments for it.

Obviously, some regulation is necessary. Red Lights districts should never be in residential areas. Prostitutes must get regular health checks. The act of sex itself should take place somewhere the girls can get help fast if one of their punters likes things a bit rough ect.
By JieMi
You Prefer the opposite Eh?

Well I didn't think of the opposite because who would want to do elderly people, no offense to you oldies out there.

I don't like the idea of prostitution overall, but I don't know if it's a good idea to make it illegal.

If there is illegal prostitution, they know that they're breaking the law, so why would they stop at that. They would probably go and find children, because they are easier to control and won't tell the police because of fear, and are a more "exotic" sell.
By Nets
Never

No, it should never be legal. I think that it is wrong, and our society has no place for it.

That said I think the laws against it should be on the books, but not enforced to stringently. Don't ask don't tell would work best. Also, even though it would be "illegal" the cops should still work to protect hookers from criminals and pimps, and healthcare should be available since that presents a public risk.
By Abood
Other.

Its legal status is irrelevant. We gotta solve the poverty that makes people sell themselves.

That being said, if you're rich and like to sell your body for sex, go ahead. I don't see anything wrong with it.
By W01f
Sex should not be a commodity. Ever.

But that's besides the point. It is, regardless of laws or morals.
By Oblisk
Never.

A sexual appetite ever fulfilled constantly is sexual perversion, not to mention the ramification of moral degradation.
By ingliz
Licensed brothels
By Galoredk
In Denmark it is legal, it works fine, if you discount the sex trafficing, which is why it should be with licensing.

I would never pay for sex at a prostitute, legal or not. I simply do not turn on to a woman that I do not turn on. And no, I dont believe I turn a random prostitute on, who has more than likely fucked plenty of men for free and for fun.
By Arbiter Azariah
Never.
As said earlier, just because you can sell something, doesn't mean you should. I find the practice of prostitution to be abhorrent; sex should not be treated as a commodity, and it only contributes to an objectification of others.

I think Abood's onto something when he says that socioeconomic conditions that drive people to prostitution need to be addressed. Women need to know there are other options and avenues where they don't have to be degraded, and can be safe from a brutal industry.
By stalker
Yes, with licensing

It removes strains from certain strata of society and probably reduces sexual assaults.
By Oxymoron
No, it should never be legal. I think that it is wrong, and our society has no place for it.

Got we got so many crusaders on shish, perhaps we should abolish alchohol and swearing and ugly t shirts.
By Arbiter Azariah
Oxy, I think there's a significant difference between the things you've mentioned and a practice which systematically degrades those involved.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]