Does society exist? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

There is no such thing as society, there are only individuals

I agree
13%
I disagree
83%
Other
4%
By Mazhi
"There is no such thing as society, there are only individuals."

Agree or disagree?
By Stipe
Individuals interact and depend upon each other.
By Nets
Disagree
By W01f
Individuals interact and depend upon each other.

this
By Donna
Is there only such thing as a cell, while the body does not exist? Both clearly exist. When a cell dies it has very little effect on the body, and is quickly replaced. If the body is killed, the internal mechanisms that generated such animation would be no more. Everything we enjoy - as either a matter of leisure or survival - is a product of society. That car you've been saving up for? Not possible without people working together, unless you intend to smelt the steel yourself and build it. Oh, and those trained professionals who will show up at your house in a matter of minutes if you're having a heart attack? Society. If someone tried to kill you, society would remove that individual from its midst.

It should be noted Maz, in the movie Antz the society was never abolished despite Ant finding his individual substance, purpose and drive in life. The producing-nature of the ant colony continued as a fact of life and a very real necessity. What mattered was the internal transformation of Ant, and his new found ability to discern and discorporate the functions of the collective and the individual proved to reconcile a needless personal conflict.
By Spike Spiegel
Although we are all individual beings we all exist
an function inside our communities.

A society is a grouping of individuals which is characterized by common
interests and may have distinctive culture and institutions.

Wiki

Therefore I disagree
By stalker
Agree

That being said, it's really a matter of semantics rather than one's ideological stand.
By Todd D.
Of course "society" exists, as Spike's definition showed. What is generally objected to is the idea that "society" has rights beyond that of the individuals, e.g "this is best for society".
By QatzelOk
Both the individual and society "exist."

How could it be any other way?

As soon as Eve started poking around looking for snakes, there was a society.
By Zyx
Some people have not answered the question stated in the poll; some addressed the title, but not the poll.

I do not know why mazhi86 actually named the polls separately, but all the same, with the poll, I disagree.
By Oxymoron
Individuals with similar ideas and goals form a society.
By QatzelOk
Individuals with similar ideas and goals form a society.

And then an elite accumulates power via those goals and ideas, and forces everyone to submit to them - even long after they have served their purpose.
By Oxymoron
And then an elite accumulates power via those goals and ideas, and forces everyone to submit to them - even long after they have served their purpose.

Thats correct humans tend to setup Heirchal society with Alpha males as leaders. I prefer Elites ruling then a mass of idiots
By QatzelOk
I prefer Elites ruling then a mass of idiots

What do you think of them being dependent on each other?

Only a mass of idiots needs an elite to rule them, or an elite can only stay where they are if they are surrounded by a mass of idiots.
By Zyx
Oxymoron wrote: I prefer Elites ruling then a mass of idiots

Sweet, for a second there I thought that you were going to vote Republican!

I just wanted to make a shout out to Hillary Clinton, WE LOVE YOU!!!

Ibid. wrote:Thats correct humans tend to setup Heirchal society with Alpha males as leaders.

Lulz, George Bush is suddenly the alpha male of the United States, good to know . . . do explain this wildly inaccurate phrase you typed Oxymoron . . . it's so hard to parse. Is it a joke is my main reaction!
By Oxymoron
Yes any leader has Alpha Male qualities, which are mainly exemplafied by the hunger for power. A alpha male does not have to be Physically imposing, intelligent or charismatic although those qualities help.

elite can only stay where they are if they are surrounded by a mass of idiots.

Meaning every where.
By InterestedInPolitics
Seperation is an illusion. Self is an extra mental concept that we add to the reality of our existence. Happiness and the understanding of reality is achieved by getting rid of the extra.
By Oxymoron
Seperation is an illusion. Self is an extra mental concept that we add to the reality of our existence. Happiness is achieved by getting rid of the extra

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ummmmmmmmmmm

Be like water my friend
By InterestedInPolitics
Bad thoughts are our worst enemy Oxymoron. We do good things and we are proud. Pride is that little extra that we add. It always comes before the fall.
By Oxymoron
Bad thoughts are as important as Good thoughts the Ying to the Yang. We must be one with our inner self and be true to our thoughts whether they are about Gummi Bears and Tootsi rolls or about Cluster bombes and RPG's.

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]

Not much, commercial real estate is boom or bust.[…]

Also, the Russians are apparently not fans of Isr[…]