Saudi 11-year-old marries 10-year-old cousin: report - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

An 11-year-old boy has married his 10-year-old cousin in the ultra-conservative Muslim kingdom of Saudi Arabia, a newspaper reported on Tuesday.

Mohammed al-Rashidi and his unidentified cousin will seal the marriage they contracted under the sharia laws of Islam and move in together after a ceremony to take place in the summer, Al-Shams newspaper said.

"I am ready for this marriage. It will help me study better," Mohammed, who goes to primary school in the northern province of Hail, was quoted as saying by Al-Shams.

"I invite all my classmates to do like me," the boy said, adding that he wanted to "crown a love story through marriage".

The schoolboy's father, Muraizak al-Rashidi, told the newspaper he was busy sending out invitations for a summer celebration to seal the marriage.

Dahim al-Jaber, the headmaster at Mohammed's school, said marriage at such a young age was "inappropriate" but wished the couple a happy life together.

Yahoo! News

No comment. :eh:
By Takkon
What do middle eastern muslims think? I assume we are reading this because it is in the middle east.
By NYYS
"I am ready for this marriage. It will help me study better,"

bahaha... dumbass

Anyway, poor kid. Now he's both married and living in Saudi Arabia. Oppression x2!
By DanishDynamite
The marriage will only be consumated when she is of age. Was there any other point to your post?
By stalker
Saudi Arabia is a primitive cesspit of religious fundamentalism.

So what's the news?
By DanishDynamite
stalker:
Saudi Arabia is a primitive cesspit of religious fundamentalism.

So what's the news?

Who might you be quoting, stalker?

And would you have an opinion as to arranged marriages?
By stalker
Arranged marriages are just about acceptable, as long as both are of a suitable age (i.e. certainly not younger than 16) and all consent to it. Though both will miss much.

Since that poor couple are children, however, it is in reality a forced marriage.
By DanishDynamite
Why would you accept arranged marriages when the people involved are 16 and not when they are 12?
By Nets
This is just what the rich, Exxon controlled western media is telling us about the Arabs to make us feel good about ourselves while we drive around, siting fat in our SUVs bombing children and stealing their resources.

Qatz, your work is done here. 8)
By DanishDynamite
NetsNJFan87:
This is just what the rich, Exxon controlled western media is telling us about the Arabs to make us feel good about ourselves while we drive around, siting fat in our SUVs bombing children and stealing their resources.

Qatz, your work is done here. Coolness

Wish I had a clue what that might mean.

Could you explain a bit better what you mean next time? Thanks.
By Nets
Danish, hang around on the forum and you'll understand fairly quickly.
By DanishDynamite
NetsNJFan87:
Danish, hang around on the forum and you'll understand fairly quickly.

Could you explain what you mean now? If not, why not?
By unbalanced zealot
re the NYjets comment ...

I think it is along the lines of making reference to some people who usually post a some variation of a generic statement to just about everything.

For example ... Personally, I blame (the) .... (insert) liberals, neo-cons, Muslims, Israel, Wall Street, Bush, etc.

A number of people bang on about one or two things no matter what the topic is.
By Ter
The article mentioned that the new couple will move in together. I guess they will be consummating the marriage after the girl has her menarche.

Arranged marriages are usually successful. Please note that normally, both parties have the right to refuse the choice of partner.

Ter
By Nets
For example ... Personally, I blame (the) .... (insert) liberals, neo-cons, Muslims, Israel, Wall Street, Bush, etc.

A number of people bang on about one or two things no matter what the topic is.

Basically.

It was more joking around then anything, no real point.
By QatzelOk

I agree.

This story is only in our eyes because it made a few powerful people feel better about their privileged position in the global caste system.

There is nothing wrong with this story. But the surplus number of 'Borat' stories about Iran (especially) and the Moslem countries generally, is symptomatic of the Western commercial media's agenda.
By DanishDynamite
QatzelOK:
I agree.

This story is only in our eyes because it made a few powerful people feel better about their privileged position in the global caste system.

Not understood. Could you perhaps tell me what you think of arranged marriages, and if you have any feeling in particular thereabout, your feeling about the difference between entering such a marriage at age 12 and at age 16. Thanks.
There is nothing wrong with this story. But the surplus number of 'Borat' stories about Iran (especially) and the Moslem countries generally, is symptomatic of the Western commercial media's agenda.

Once again, not understood. Hope you can answer the above question.
By QatzelOk
I have no opinion on arranged marriages between young adolescents in Saudi Arabia.

None whatsoever.

It doesn't affect me at all, and I don't know the local context enough to be able to comment on it either favorably or negatively.

If I did comment on it using my own values, then I would say, "Good. Go for it." If I were to use my society's norms to comment on it, I would say, "That's illegal in Canada."

But then to comment on the large number of "sins of the Arab countries" threads here and in Western commercial media, I think that would be more useful and important than making ethnocentric comments about a Western media meme.
By Annatar
Where's Private?

Wasn't he telling us recently that the Jews and not the Muslims were the pedophiles?
By Dr House
Dynamite-

Don't worry yourself with it. Like UZ said, Qatz always blames all the World's ills on the MSM, neocons, oil companies and capitalism.

Nets was just making fun of him.

The articles presented by Five, are about failed […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]