Do you think Taiwan is part of P.R.China? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Do you think Taiwan is part of P.R.China?

Yes
40%
No
55%
No Sure, but Taiwan should be independent.
5%
By Dr House
No, I don't think the Republic of China is a part of the PRC.
By stalker
Yes

Taiwan is a renegade province and its leaders are traitors.
By W01f
Doesn't matter what I think, it's a fact that Taiwan is a part of China.
By Oxymoron
Taiwan has been independent for decades and should be recognized as a seperate entity.
By Nets
No.

I go to school with lots of Taiwanese, and none of them want reunification with Totalitarian China. I believe in self-determination.

Should China go democratic my views might change, but until the Taiwanese democratically express their belonging to China, who am I to say otherwise.
By NewEra
If they were independent, they wouldn't be having an independence movement. They would also be recognized by the rest of the world as an independent state. The fact is, it doesn't matter what this board thinks. Taiwan is part of the People's Republic.

Some people should really check their logic? Why would a country that is independent, both in terms of self-recognition and international recognition, be fighting for independence?
By pikachu
If they were independent, they wouldn't be having an independence movement. They would also be recognized by the rest of the world as an independent state. The fact is, it doesn't matter what this board thinks. Taiwan is part of the People's Republic.

Some people should really check their logic? Why would a country that is independent, both in terms of self-recognition and international recognition, be fighting for independence?

blah blah blah I'm so smart blah blah blah... :roll:

What, you think we don't know the difference between de-facto and de-jure independence?
Taiwan has de-facto independence, that is enough to know.
By Thunderhawk
No.

It is part of the historic regions of China and the Chinese, but I see no reason to recognize the modern state of China to be the sole country to have or can have claim and ownership over those regions.
By NewEra
blah blah blah I'm so smart blah blah blah... Roll eyes

What, you think we don't know the difference between de-facto and de-jure independence?

There's a major difference between autonomy and independence. Just because the government of the PRC doesn't micromanage the province does not mean that they are independent.

Again, if Taiwan knew that they were independent, they would not be campaigning. De-facto and de-jure are simply political science terms. In the real world, everybody, including the Taiwanese, know that the island is a province of the PRC. De-jure or de-facto means little in the real world, especially to the Taiwanese who are clamoring for independence.
By JieMi
Yes

Taiwan is a renegade province and its leaders are traitors.

I agree. Taiwan has always been part of the mainland. It was part of the Qing and now the PRC.
By InterestedInPolitics
pikachu wrote:What, you think we don't know the difference between de-facto and de-jure independence?

So, why is it that Taiwan does not want to be reunited with China at this moment in time?
By pikachu
There's a major difference between autonomy and independence. Just because the government of the PRC doesn't micromanage the province does not mean that they are independent.

Really? Either my or your understanding of the subject has to be out of touch with reality here.

Can you explain in what way is Taiwan "autonomous", as opposed to independent from PRC? When and how does Taiwan take orders from Beijing?

From what I know about the situation, the island of Taiwan is administered by the RoC government, which doesn't take any orders from Beijing at all. Hence, the island is de-facto independent from mainland China. I see no "autonomy" anywhere in sight.

RoC still claims to represent China, of course, and has claims on all of PRC plus some more territory, so the conflict between the two is still a civil war as opposed to a war of independence. But I don't understand how this is supposed to negates the fact that RoC government is independent from PRC, and consequently Taiwan is independent from PRC?

If the question was asking, "Do you think Taiwan is independent from China," without specifying which Chinese government is being talked about, then you would have a point. But the question is clearly talking about P.R.China, which is the government in Beijing.....
By Dr House
De jure, maybe

But de facto, where it actually matters, of course not.

Actually, that's the other way around.

De jure, it's only recognised as a country by a handful of states, which do not recognize the PRC. Taiwan is de facto independent.
By NewEra
Really? Either my or your understanding of the subject has to be out of touch with reality here.

Can you explain in what way is Taiwan "autonomous", as opposed to independent from PRC? When and how does Taiwan take orders from Beijing?

From what I know about the situation, the island of Taiwan is administered by the RoC government, which doesn't take any orders from Beijing at all. Hence, the island is de-facto independent from mainland China. I see no "autonomy" anywhere in sight.

RoC still claims to represent China, of course, and has claims on all of PRC plus some more territory, so the conflict between the two is still a civil war as opposed to a war of independence. But I don't understand how this is supposed to negates the fact that RoC government is independent from PRC, and consequently Taiwan is independent from PRC?

If the question was asking, "Do you think Taiwan is independent from China," without specifying which Chinese government is being talked about, then you would have a point. But the question is clearly talking about P.R.China, which is the government in Beijing.....

The government of Beijing abides by a one-China, two government motto. Similar to Hong Kong, the government of the People's Republic dabbles little in the way of micromanaging those regions. Instead, they have governments set up in those two regions to administer the territories for them.

Again, you seem to emphasize too much on theory. In reality, no major nation cares about this theoretical distinction of 'de-jure' and 'de-facto'. The People's Republic is the representative of all of China and Taiwan is part of that representation. Refer to the original post. The question is: do you think Taiwan is part of the PRC. It is not asking if the ROC is part of the PRC.

Again, there is a reason why Taiwan under the ex-ruling party was campaigning, both domestically and internationally, for independence. In both cases, they have lost, especially now with the Nationalist resurgence. Taiwan does not recognize itself as an independent country and the world, more so, does not accept this independent-Taiwan notion. Whether the ROC governs the country does not solidify its status as a independent nation. The right to rule itself is a delegated power and as such, fails to classify the island as an independent entity.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]