Hurro. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Please introduce yourself here.
By Doomhammer
Welcome to PoFo, post often and prosper.

*Vulcan salute*

lol I am an IR major and I think poli. sci. is inferior (even though IR is basically a mongrel offspring of poli. sci, law and all the other social sciences. :knife:
By Nets
Doomy wrote:Welcome to PoFo, post often and prosper.

*Vulcan salute*

Doomy, I didn't know you were a Cohen.

Goranhammer wrote:You woulda liked one of mine. Some kid asked about Marxism and he gave him a look like he just spilled Pepsi all over his shirt.

Yea, my professors are all like that as well... they worship the markets. Anyways, take that compared with my World History prof who on the first day told us he was a communist, and it was downhill from there.

Goranhammer wrote:I didn't really think econ was very math-based at all. It's more of a cause and effect science than a number-crunching business.

Nah. Upper level Econ is all math. Not even number crunching, but straight math.

For example, I had 3-d Calculus as a pre-req for taking Macroeconomics. Then again my school just may be crazy.

Just look at any of the economists at CMU and check out their research....almost every econ paper descends into straight math.

Like take a look at this paper written by my Macro prof....its just math.
By Harboggles
I meant I'm not math proficient enough to do complex physics. I never could wrap my head around the math in physics and chemistry.
By Doomhammer
Doomy, I didn't know you were a Cohen.

Goldstein, actually. ;)

Shessh do I have to post a picture of Mr. Spock before people understand what I mean when I say "post often [live long] and prosper"?!

I meant I'm not math proficient enough to do complex physics. I never could wrap my head around the math in physics and chemistry.

That's the only reason why most reasonably serious students choose social sciences (other than economics and law)... they suck at math. I wish I was interested in and good at math. Social sciences and life no absolutes. Numbers and logic are absolute. :knife:
By Nets
Doomy, it was in response to the salute, not the phrase.
By Abood
Welcome.

V is an anarchist. Just to let you know.
By Harboggles
Well aware of it. But it's still my favorite movie.
By Doomhammer
Doomy, it was in response to the salute, not the phrase.

The phrase should have been a give away. Ok lol whatever.

By Nets
Oh, nvm Doomy. I knew what you were referring to.

By Dr House
Dr. House will be the arrogant asshole who will tell you that you're wrong.

That's pretentious asshole.

I didn't really think econ was very math-based at all. It's more of a cause and effect science than a number-crunching business.

Completely correct.

To be fair though, every Econ professor I've had has basically been a libertarian, which I also dislike.....but they aren't so sanctimonious about it which is why I am fine with it.

My Econ professor was actually quite centrist. He talked a lot about market failures and monopolies and how a command economy could thrive in a globalized world.

Western Washington University

Nice, you're like 80 miles from here. Ever been to Seattle?

I'm a Libertarian, a Ron Paul supporter (but I'm voting for Barack because Paul is out).

Awesomeness. We need more enlightened people around here. :up:

Royalist libertarianism is flawed, though. Consider geolibertariansim.

Anyways, welcome. :cheers:
By QatzelOk
Nets, MC wrote:QatzelOK will welcome you to the text.

And so it goes.
By theyearofglad
Welcome!

Ron Paul supporter
:down:

but I'm voting for Barack
:up:

I'm a poli sci/ Econ major
:down:
By Dan
Hello, and welcome.

I'm a Libertarian, a Ron Paul supporter (but I'm voting for Barack because Paul is out).

Ugh. Why Obama?

Do you really want a president who's platform is hope and his goal is change?
By PBVBROOK
Welcome. I am the old guy. You have to tell me things over and over.
By Abood
Do you really want a president who's platform is hope and his goal is change?
:lol:

I think I wouldn't mind that, personally.
By Goranhammer
My Econ professor was actually quite centrist. He talked a lot about market failures and monopolies and how a command economy could thrive in a globalized world.

Remind me to never go where you go.

The first two don't bother me because market failures do exist (unless you're an uber-right ancap who thinks Keynes is some sort of evil spirit) and monopolies can be bad. However, anyone that can think a command economy could thrive is full of horse shit.

Of course, in my eyes, the only true monopoly is government. The state has absolute power.

And that's a shame.
By Dr House
However, anyone that can think a command economy could thrive is full of horse shit.

I think his argument was that it would be forced to compete against big multinationals and companies in other countries, which would keep it efficient.

market failures do exist (unless you're an uber-right ancap who thinks Keynes is some sort of evil spirit)

I don't think he was an evil spirit. I do, however, think he was wrong. I also think that while market failures do occur sparingly, government failures are even worse end more likely.
By Goranhammer
I think his argument was that it would be forced to compete against big multinationals and companies in other countries, which would keep it efficient.

That would go against my "government is the true monopoly" belief. First of all, if he ever used "compete" in a description about command economy, he's an idiot. Second of all, in a true command economy the state could use all sorts of protectionism to manipulate supply and drive down the aggregate to the point where they and they alone can create the price.
By Dr House
Good point.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

[quote='ate"]Whatever you're using, I want[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]

When the guy is selling old, debunked, Russian pro[…]

There is, or at least used to be, a Royalist Part[…]