Rewriting history - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Do you think parts of our history has been rewritten?

Yes, of course
87%
Nope, no way
4%
Maybe
6%
Not sure
No votes
0%
Other
4%
By Private
I'll start of with a few famous quote:

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it” -- Winston Churchill

"History is written by the victors" -- Winston Churchill

Who believes that large chunks of history has indeed been rewritten/distorted/twisted to suit the victors? I have no idea how far back. Maybe as far back as the first monolithic religion. And if you do believe that to be the case then how can we learn our mistakes from 'history'?

Of course I certainly believe that parts of our history has been rewritten. And to backup my claims. I shall provide a few Interesting articles. Firstly, a recent example:

Iraq: teachers told to rewrite history

By Richard Garner, Education Editor
Friday, 14 March 2008

Britain's biggest teachers' union has accused the Ministry of Defence of breaking the law over a lesson plan drawn up to teach pupils about the Iraq war. The National Union of Teachers claims it breaches the 1996 Education Act, which aims to ensure all political issues are treated in a balanced way.

Teachers will threaten to boycott military involvement in schools at the union's annual conference next weekend, claiming the lesson plan is a "propaganda" exercise and makes no mention of any civilian casualties as a result of the war.

continued...

Independent

From The Times

July 30, 2007

Textbooks rewrite history to fit Putin’s vision
Tony Halpin in Moscow

As Russia flexes its foreign policy muscles against the West and President Putin enjoys record approval ratings, the Kremlin is turning its attention to schools to instil a new sense of nationalism in children.

Two new manuals for teachers have been accused of glossing over the horrors of the Soviet Union and of including propaganda to promote Mr Putin’s vision of a strong state.

One, for social studies teachers, presents as fact Mr Putin’s view that the Soviet collapse was “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe of the 20th century”. It describes the United States as bent on creating a global empire and determined to isolate Russia from its neighbours.

Timesonline

As you can see. They're already setting the standards now. Therefore, what makes you sure that...this hasn't been happening in the past...hummm? What about WWII ? :eek:

You decide!
By Zyx
Yes, no shit!

I am surprised that the above is not an option. We hardly ever get the whole story; Israel's creation was more than whatever we were told. Ancient civilization was more than great white men doing great things. There is a reason why we hear what we hear. Records are burned, records are hidden, records are distorted, we get translations . . . not records!!!
By Suska
"Yes, of course"

i would add, what really happened (as opposed to history) is usually possible to discover, even ancient history offers versions and really it comes down to understanding human nature before reading what people say. to put it another way; what people say is an aspect of their interests. a good detective knows people well enough to see through what they say.
By Private
Well, you'd be supprised. I've seen kids at school/collage read, write, absorb and thoroughly believe every word they're taught for their exams by the teachers. When those kids grow up, how are we gona debate with them ? :eh:

hey look someone chose 'other' option...Told ya! :lol:

Whats obvious to you may not be obvious to everyone.
By Thunderhawk
Misrepresenting the past is as old as past tense has existed in spoken language.

Well, you'd be supprised. I've seen kids at school/collage read, write, absorb and thoroughly believe every word they're taught for their exams by the teachers.

Are you sure they legitimately believe the teachers, or are just doing whatever it takes to please the teachers and get good marks?
By Red Star
Are we going to get into what history is and its philosophy? Because then an argument can be made that it wasn't, ever (using one definition of history).

But because I am an idealist and do not want to use the Post-Modern Essay Generator, I voted for "Yes".
By Lensky1917
History has certainly been rewritten, sometimes for the good. For instance, if you looked at an old school book it might say that slavery is okay.
By Nets
History has certainly been rewritten, sometimes for the good. For instance, if you looked at an old school book it might say that slavery is okay.

Lensky, I don't understand the example. There is not historical distinction in that example, just a moral one.
By pikachu
People don't write history.
History writes them.

And I am 100% serious about this.
By NYYS
Of course it has. For example, the Jews clearly were responsible for the Great Depression and yet that's largely ignored.
By QatzelOk
I smell a Holocaust denial!

the Jews clearly were responsible for the Great Depression and yet that's largely ignored.

I thought we were supposed to just vote on the subject, NOT produce some examples.

Okay, I bet that the Russians actually won the Cold War, and forced the US to send its army to the Middle East to be pacified.
By Tailz
"History is written by the victors" -- Winston Churchill

Chirchill was correct, but it is not just the victors who write history,

History is the version of it thats written that the most people find acceptable with what they have been told.
By PBVBROOK
Of course. I have lived through a lot of it. The Vietnam war was noting like what is taught today.

I could go on and on about this.
By Potemkin
Jinkies, Shaggy. I smell a Holocaust denial!

That's clearly what Private is aiming at. However, he has raised an interesting point which is of more general validity.

Lensky, I don't understand the example. There is not historical distinction in that example, just a moral one.

Actually, it's a rewriting of the interpretation of history. A 'fact' of history only becomes a 'fact' when it is interpreted. Otherwise, all you have are atoms in motion. Even the most spare, supposedly objective description of an historical fact is laden with interpretation and moral judgement. If an historical 'fact' is presented from a different perspective, it becomes a different 'fact'.
By ingliz
Yes, of course
By Annatar
“History is a set of lies agreed upon.” --Napoléon Bonaparte
By sploop!
^ Interesting what happens when you refuse to accept the history you are given. In Europe you can get jailed for it (now, we're properly onto holocaust denial).
By Lensky1917
I thought we were supposed to just vote on the subject, NOT produce some examples.

One should be able to say why they voted for a particular option.

In Europe you can get jailed for it (now, we're properly onto holocaust denial).

Who in their right mind would deny the Holocaust when it happened in their back yard? :eh:
By sploop!
^ I wouldn't. But I'm not convinced I should be jailed for doing it if I wanted to.

Annatar said:
“History is a set of lies agreed upon.” --Napoléon Bonaparte

Lies or not, sometimes that agreement is backed up with threats. I object to that.
By Annatar
Lies or not, sometimes that agreement is backed up with threats. I object to that.

It's your right to object to the agreement. Holocaust denial laws and similar ones are stupid in most cases and should be abolished.

The chimp question: https://www.newsweek.com/coul[…]

Again, this is not some sort of weird therapy w[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]

Ukraine already has cruise missiles (Storm Shadow)[…]