Will Israel survive in the long-term? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What will have happened to Israel by, say, 2050?

Status quo - much stronger than neighbors who resent it
36%
It will co-exist peacefully with Palestinian state and neighbors
9%
It will stop being Jewish state (due to Muslim demographics)
18%
Conquered by Muslim coalition; Jews remain under dhimmitude
3%
Conquered by Muslim coalition; WMDs used; Jews flee or are exterminated
7%
Israel will become weaker relative to neighbors; otherwise, status quo
15%
Israel after military defeat/reversal forced to stop being Jewish state; under foreign Muslim influence but formally independent
1%
Israel after military defeat/reversal forced to retreat to 1948 borders/make other concessions; remains formally independent
6%
Other
4%
Please post your views independently of your own attitude to Israel and what you'd like to see happen.

Israel has won three wars decisively this past half-century, in 1948, 1967 and 1973. It was always outnumbered and at least on paper Arab weaponry was not inferior to Israeli (possibly, with exception of 1973, the last war). But its soldiers were far more educated and far superior in morale, while many of the Arab soldiers suffered from illiteracy, were treated like dirt by officers drawn from the upper echelons of their stratified societies more interested in acquiring positions than in proving combat effectiveness, and as such these Arab armies fought very poorly, getting routed in what should have been a walkover with the forces at their disposal.

Since then, however, the positions have reversed. More and more Israeli citizens are shirking army service. A few years ago Israel ceased publishing its demographic data, and the reason is quite clear - emmigration is now very probably higher than immigration. Around 100,000 Jews have returned from Israel to Russia. On the other hand Israel now enjoys very substantial technological superiority over the Arabs.

Many of the Arab states today suffer from the same scourges as they did one or two generations ago. On the other hand, now probably to a lesser extent. The bulk of their populations, including the entire younger cohorts, are now literate. While the average Arab today is still of course much less skilled and useful for modern war than the average Israeli, the gap has narrowed significantly since the 1960's. Back then, education, science and technology, etc were valued in Israel. Today, religious fundamentalism is growing and Israeli pupils scored the lowest out of the industrialized nations in recent PISA international student assessments, on a level between Turkey or Portugal.

Finally, some of the Arab regimes have regained a measure of legitimacy by recent strong economic growth. Creeping Islamization has ensured that today's Arabs are far more motivated than their predecessors, to a greater extent than Israeli youth. Consider the following scenario. Rising food prices cause unrest in Egypt, the overthrow of Mubarak and the instalment of an Islamic state. Egypt makes a new alliance with Syria, with its Hizbollah proxy in southern Lebanon. The Israelis rather foolishly following 1973 ceded back to Egypt the southern Negev desert. The Palestinian militants can be counted on to wreck havoc in the Israeli rear during conflict. In the background lurks Iran. Israel is encircled.

Finally, technological inferiority can be made up by a spree on rearmament, and Russia and/or China will probably oblige. While Israel has a nuclear deterrant, it can be balanced out by Syrian chemical weapons and Iranian development of a nuclear bomb. Even with technologically inferior forces, in 2006 Hizbollah managed to stall the Israeli offensive, achieving a casualty ratio of 5:1, if not better. Considering the population differentials between Israel and its potential opponents, this would not be a comforting thought for Israeli commanders.

If the above trends continue, the Arabs may indeed fulfil their oil dreams of pushing Israel back into the sea. Granted, many of their capitals and population centers may be destroyed by Israel replicating Samson; even so, Israel itself as a state will vanish. The only salvation would be US interference - but would it be capable of it? It's forces are overstretched, and the US way of waging war (huge buildups involving very complex logistics, so as to substite capital for bodies) are vulnerable to disruption. In the opinion of Chinese strategists, Iraq could have staved off defeat in 1991 by a) attacking critical US targets via commando units and b) being more focused on digging in/fortifications, rather than waiting like sitting ducks in Kuwait. This is not to mention the sheer disruption made possible via attacks on oil infrastructure, made especially painful as it would be in the era of peak oil. If the Muslim powers indeed co-ordinate their actions; pursue rational military strategies; and ensure that at the micro level their soldiers are competent, then anything short of US nuclear intervention can in principle be dealth with.

This is not to say that the above scenario is what will happen. On the contrary, it may well be unlikely. (On the other hand, if global warming really strikes hard, the Middle East will be especially hard-hit. Domestic difficulties may encourage the Arab dictators to pursue military adventurism). For all the improvements in Arab society, it still remains stratified and opposed to modern science, and while Islamic fundamentalism improved morale, it won't do much good for the former. More books are translated to Spanish every year than have ever been translated into Arabic (and some 75% of those are religious). It is hard to see how such societies can persecute successful offensive war, which is much more complicated than digging yourself in with AKs and RPGs (basically, what Hizbollah does).

On the other hand, in the long-term, Israel is just a continuation of the Crusader kingdoms (not necessarily in the moral/imperialistic sense - again, let's not drag this into a pro/anti-Israel bash; but certainly in the strategic sense). And all Crusader kingdoms, while driven by love of God (Zionist morale) and European support (US support), eventually succumbed to love of gold and internal decay (Israel's migration reversal, Army shirking). The Arabs, while initially beaten and demoralized, later devised counters to the Crusader's prowess in the field of open combat. The Crusader knights were surrounded and deprived of water at the Horns of Hatting, leaving their destruction easy. In Lebanon, Israeli Merkava's were countered by commited dug-in troops wielding RPG's and AKs. Despite repeated European new Crusades (a future US role?), eventually they grew tired of Middle East adventures and the now abandoned Crusader kingdoms submitted to Muslim rule (the future of Israel?).

So that's the question I'm asking - will Israel survive in the long-term?
By Quercus Robur
I sincerely hope it stops being a Jewish state peacefully, but I think it is more likely to either accept some change on the basis of the threat of force, or be destroyed.
By ingliz
Israel will become weaker relative to neighbors; otherwise, status quo
By Captain Sam
As long as Israel continues to hold state of the art weaponry and is backed by NATO. It will remain as an independant Jewish state.
By sploop!
Israel after military defeat/reversal forced to retreat to 1948 borders/make other concessions; remains formally independent.

One of the concessions being that Israel no longer retains 'jewish state' status.

My thinking is that as time goes on and intelligent jewry becomes more and more disenchanted with the racist bullshit that Israel has become, Israel will become less and less relevant to the Jews. Alongside this movement away from Israel, as US influence in the world wanes in the coming decades and US economic power is broken by the emergence of better-managed and more effective economies (China, India, Europe), its ability and will to support Israel will be compromised, leaving Israel more and more vulnerable. Israel will not necessarily need to be defeated militarily, it will simply begin to wither and die under the continuing onslaught from guerrilla attackers and malcontents within its own borders. However, because of the fear of its more and more fascistic government, it will find itself in conflict with its more motivated and largely islamist arab neighbours again and again in the coming years, leading it finally to negotiate or face death under a hail of chinese and russian made weaponry.
By ingliz
sploop! wrote:One of the concessions being that Israel no longer retains 'jewish state' status

Cannot see it happening unless the US decides to abandon their policy of unconditional support.
By Nets
It will co-exist peacefully with Palestinian state and neighbors
By Pleb
It will survive a long time yet. Israel doesn't need any subsidies. Give these people sticks and water and they'll fight whatever you can throw at them. There won't be a non Jewish state and the Jews aren't going anywhere. Those are two facts good for at least fifty years.

I think the biggest peoblems are internal. Stability will come when Israeli society starts to actively oppose the settler movement. Call me simplistic but I think it's the root of the problem. Palestinians are denied their human and civil rights because by using them, they increase the risk of Israelis being hurt. Either sisde of the debate will tell you that much. Now it's one thing to be treated like a Black in Israel, but it's another entirely in what should be your own country. Abbas won't deliver peace. He's being outflanked on the right by Hamas, land is being stolen right under his feet and he's got nothing to bargain with. There's going to be more large scale violence, it's the sad but oobvious logic to the whole thing.

Everyone knows it, and that makes people fatalist. It's hard to create a movement for social change in those conditions. There are plenty of people here who oppose the settlers, but I dont see anyone opposing the settlers. There's too much to lose in social credibility for people to be peaceniks. I've never been somewhere so racist, Israelis don't care when Palestinians die and they don't care that they have no civil rights. Why should they care when roads are built across their farms. You can't (even I can't) take my musings at face value though, I've been here three weeks and I could just be talking to the wrong people. I can understand why they're that way, but it makes my stomach turn.
By Nets
It will survive a long time yet. Israel doesn't need any subsidies. Give these people sticks and water and they'll fight whatever you can throw at them. There won't be a non Jewish state and the Jews aren't going anywhere. Those are two facts good for at least fifty years.

Damn straight.
I think the biggest problems are internal.

Very true, but it isn't the Settlers, its that parasitic tumor known as the Haredim that constitute the biggest problem. Your in Jerusalem, yes? So surely you've encountered those 16th century freaks.
Stability will come when Israeli society starts to actively oppose the settler movement.

To be honest, I think a big part of your experience derives from the fact of where you are. Jerusalem is a very right-wing city. You'd probably meet people with similar views to your own if you ventured out into the more Israeli cities like Tel Aviv, Netanya, Hadera, Rishon LeTziyon, etc.

Many Israelis despise the settlers, these just aren't the Israelis you are meeting. I recall reading a poll in Yediot Achronot about which sector is most hated in Israel, Haredim were tops, Settlers were second and surprisingly Israeli Arabs were third. Many Israeli do hate the settlers, go to Tel Aviv and a Peace Now rally and you'll see that.
but I dont see anyone opposing the settlers.

That's because after the fiasco of the Gaza withdrawal people don't think the settlers were entirely wrong.

I've never been somewhere so racist,

Once again, I'd have to say one word, Jerusalem. I hate that city. You should also realize the racism in Israel is procyclical with the violence level, just as it is on the other side of the fence.

But I don't disagree, certain sectors of Israel are becoming more racist and it worries me. In part, it stems from the violence as well as the actions of Israeli Arab lawmakers.
By War Angel
Not through external aggression, will Israel fall. If we fall, we'll fall due to our own mishandling of our own affairs. Our friendly neighbours and their pitiful demands will not be the end of us.
By Pleb
When I generalise I'm only ever half serious. I know Jerusalem is an extreme place, but Jerusalemite views carry more weight in public discourse. These people live on the front line. There's Arabs here for Moses' sake! It's not that I haven't met people with views similar to mine, I've met plenty. A lot of the post youth army (who I've met) are tired of all the bullshit, but that lends itslef more to apathy than social action. There's a great pejorative word for Israeli peaceniks "Kaffieh(something)niks". I'll think of it again. WarAngel?

Like you said though, the Gaza pull out really ruined their credibility. It doesn't matter that the pull out was a sham. Sovreignty=rockets is a convincing argument

I really love these Haredim guys though. I guess you don't because you're an economist. I live near one of their neighbourhoods, if you drive through on Shabbat, they'll stone your car. Get yourself a bus with some shatterproof windows and you could start up a nice tourguide business.
Apart from their fashion sense, I don't have much of a problem with them. Some Haredim kid went naked in a shop window this week to protest the sale of Hametz bread. That was just down the road from me and I enjoy that kind of thing. They're not all settler types either. WHat is the break down between religious zionist and happy in jerusalem orthodox? I couldn't tell you myself.
By Nets
Pleb, if Israel falls (which I don't think it will) it won't be the Arabs or the Settler's behind it it will be the Haredim. They are a lead weight tied around the ankle of the rest of Israel. Uneducated, brutish and authoritarian. Fucking parliamentary democracy, the only reason they weren't put in their place ages ago.

These people live on the front line.

The country is the size of NJ; everyone is on the front lines.

[Haredim...] They're not all settler types either.

I Guess you have no experience with the Hardalim. The Haredim are a bad influence on the Nat'l Religious, who I generally like. The religious are moving more into Haredi territory which worries me.

No, though, they aren't settlers. Settlers, misguided as they are, actually give a shit about the country.

The Haredim try to have it both ways; their blackmailing political parties scream against withdrawals but they don't serve in the army. WTF. If they want East Jerusalem so badly they can pick up rifles and defend it. Sooner of later the seculars and nat'l religious will stop being suckers for the Haredim.
Last edited by Nets on 26 Apr 2008 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
By Pleb
Uneducated, brutish and authoritarian

Ok, so let them work on the first one and they'll fit in

:p

I Guess you have no experience with the Hardalim.

They give me death eyes when I eat my brekfast while walking, that's about the extent of it

The Haredim are a bad influence on the Nat'l Religious, who I generally like. The religious are moving more into Haredi territory which worries me.

This is somethingg I'll have to read about. As always your suggestions are greatly appreciated
By Oxymoron
Although the Recent immigration of Anti Military(due to rampant antisemitism and abuse in the army), Ex Soviet Jews was a negative as far as military moral, but I think as the new generations adapt this will rebalance itself. Israel still holds military, economic and cultural superiority giving it a more stabile goverment. Israel also enjoys a Military alliance with a world superpower,and posses nuclear weapons. Israel will exist much longer then the Thugs holding on to power in Syria, or the Islamonuts in Iran.
By Donna
I concur with Gabriel.

Israel, if she should ever experience certain demise, it will be at the hands of other Jews, not Israel's enemies.

Cannot see it happening unless the US decides to abandon their policy of unconditional support.

Even if US-Israeli relations become sour at some point, the United States is not the life-support of the Jewish state. Israel can just as well get in bed with another country.
By QatzelOk
Other

A peaceful transition to Islamic republic.
By Clausewitz
I don't foresee another major Arab-Israeli War (and by this I mean something like '67 or '73, not fiascoes in Lebanon or Gaza) because [1] relations with the Arab states - especially Egypt and Jordan - are decent and will likely remain so, [2] at the end of the day, no one's willing to risk a nuke, and [3] as time goes on, the secular trend has been for Arabs to get more comfortable with Israel's existence rather than get angrier about it.

Even one or two WMD strikes by terrorists in Israel killing tens or hundreds of thousands, which is a bleak but real possibility over the next half-century, are not going to dent Israeli power seriously enough to pose an existential threat.

I think demographic pressure will make the conflict more acute for Israel and prod them toward a resolution, but I don't see the Palestinians themselves becoming an existential threat either. Even if the Palestinian population quadrupled over the next half-century (which generously assumes current growth rates are maintained) they would still be less populous than Syria and something like a fifth of Egypt's population. Terrorists or guerillas could maintain a constant, bloody headache for Israel, but they will never pose an existential threat on their own.

But the Arab states are likely to strengthen economically, diplomatically, and militarily faster than Israel (in relative terms). So I think the most reasonable prediction is that the status quo will remain, but evolve slightly in the Arabs' favor.
By QatzelOk
Clausewitz wrote:as time goes on, the secular trend has been for Arabs to get more comfortable with Israel's existence rather than get angrier about it.

This isn't true at all.

Only their illegitimate Western-backed governments have grown "comfortable" with Israel's existence (and the existence of Western money and arms in their own coffers.)

How long do you think those stupid puppet governments will last when food supplies start drying up, and rich American Jews no longer have the resources to send billions of "charity" to their little miztvah-by-the-sea?
By Muslim
It will stop being Jewish state (due to Muslim demographics).

Eventually, it will turn into a secular nation. Arabs and Jews will share power.
By Truth-a-naut
Eventually, it will turn into a secular nation. Arabs and Jews will share power.

Kind of like every other Arab country in the ME, right?

Another reason that American media-viewers side wi[…]

Should schools have books on phrenology, astrolog[…]

@FiveofSwords Edwards' critique does not co[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or frien[…]