Boris Johnson is the new London Mayor - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... Mayor.html

Boris Johnson is the new London Mayor

By Andrew Porter and Robert Winnett
Last Updated: 1:29AM BST 03/05/2008

Boris Johnson claimed a remarkable victory in the London mayoral contest on Friday night to cap a disastrous series of results for Gordon Brown in his first electoral test as Prime Minister.

Newly crowned London Mayor Boris Johnson gives his acceptance speech at City Hall

The Conservative candidate's win over Ken Livingstone followed a calamitous showing for Labour at the local elections - the party's worst performance at the polls for 40 years.

Mr Johnson's landmark victory, a result that would have been almost unthinkable six months ago, was the most symbolic blow to Mr Brown's authority on a day that left the Prime Minister facing the gravest crisis of his leadership.

By taking City Hall, Mr Johnson becomes the first Tory politician to hold a senior role in British politics since the party was swept out of power in 1997. His win provided a significant boost to David Cameron's bid for victory at the next general election.

In the local elections, Labour lost more than 300 councillors and slumped to a humiliating third place behind the Liberal Democrats in the share of the vote – a full 20 points behind Mr Cameron's Conservatives.

The results represented a significant breakthrough for Mr Cameron and were the best the Tories have recorded at the polls since John Major won the 1992 general election. If translated to a General Election, it would see the Tories with a Commons majority of more than 100.

As one Labour backbencher gave Mr Brown six months to reverse the party's slide or resign, comparisons were made between his Premiership and the dying days of John Major's tenure. The Tories predicted the results marked the beginning of the end of Labour's three terms in Government.

On a night of unremittingly bad news for Mr Brown's administration:

The Conservatives took a 44 per cent share of the national vote, the Liberal Democrats 25 per cent and Labour just 24 per cent;
Labour lost 331 council seats – far beyond even their worst predictions – while the Tories won 256;
The Tories made key breakthroughs in the North while Labour was wiped out in the South.
A buoyant Mr Cameron hailed the results as a "very big moment" for the Conservatives, with party strategists likening it to Tony Blair's success in the 1995 local elections, which preceded Labour's landslide election victory two years later.

"I think these results are not just a vote against Gordon Brown and his government," said Mr Cameron, "I think they are a vote of positive confidence in the Conservative Party.

"This is a very big moment for the Conservative Party. I don't want any one to think we would deserve to win an election just on the back of a failing government. I want us to really prove to people that we can make the changes that they want to see."

George Osborne, the shadow chancellor, said the results were a "very, very good springboard".

By 10pm Mr Johnson appeared well on course for victory but he did not manage it on the first preference vote when the result came at midnight.

He was short of the required 50 per cent share, but after the second preference votes were added he was declared winner by 1,168,738 to 1,028,966.

Downing Street attempted to blame its catastrophic losses on the economic downturn. Mr Brown said: "It's clear to me that this has been a disappointing night, indeed a bad night, for Labour. I said I was going to listen and lead.

"We are in difficult economic circumstances. I think people accept that we're going through some of the most challenging times we've seen in many years. The test of leadership is not what happens in a period of success but what happens in difficult circumstances."
By Red Star
I think he was the wrong choice for Mayor, by a considerable margin - Livingston's flirting with tinpot would-be autocrats and personal involvement in certain groups with vested interests makes him an odious man, but he has managed to do good things for London. Johnson? He is an intelligent man (even though he rarely shows it) but seeing the Mayor has gained an important public image, especially in the run-up to the Olympics, and seeing that ol' Boris is prone to stupid comments, he may bring quite a bit of trouble.

We will see.
By Nets
From what I have read, I question Johnson's ability to manage a metropolis as complex and large as London; on the other hand I've always been a fan of New Labour, so I can't say I'm going to miss Red Ken.

And on the third hand; its British Politics, I should mind my own business.

I am shocked at Labour's third place finish though. I guess 11 years of any party will do that to a country.

I think Dr. House posting an "epic fail" picture directed at Labour would be well in order right now.

Anyways, views from the Brits on the forum?

Was it Iraq, the Economy, Immigration, Brits just being tired of Labour, or all of the above?
By skinster
I really don't know what it was but I think a lot of Londoners I know who would've voted for Ken, were too fucking lazy.

Boris is a bumbling idiot.
By Spin
Boris is a smart guy. He may well do better than Ken.

There'll certainly be a lot of money saved with Ken gone, presuming that Boris cuts down on al the mayoral propaganda left, right and centre.

His victory speech was good.
By Typhoon
As a Brit I personally would not have voted for Boris had I been able to vote in London. I think Boris was appealing more for his celebrity and fun status rather than his policies and agreed with the news commentator this morning that if his term is to be a success then it will be through the people supporting him rather than his own effort.

The Labour fall was only to be expected, Iraq, the Economy, the 10p tax gaff have all added up. People are tired of Labour and of Brown and even long time labour supporters I know have changed their vote. If Labour wants to stand a chance at the next election they are going to have to seriously re-brand themselves rather than just follow along the path of Blair and Brown.
By Politically Motivated
Was it Iraq, the Economy, Immigration, Brits just being tired of Labour, or all of the above?

All of those, the EU treaty and probably the biggest factor of all, forgetting how bad things were under the Conservatives.
By redcarpet
As a UK citizen I'm dismayed a bafoon and lying creep has been elected. Dumb Londoners, voting against their own interests so often.
By Tonic
George Galloway : The "Jewish lobby" is working against Livingstone

The Associated Press of Pakistan reports:

[George Galloway] warned that the Jewish lobby was... working against the election of Ken Livingstone because of his support for the Muslim community of the capital.

http://www.app.com.pk/en_/index.php?opt ... 2&Itemid=2
By Red Star
Yeah, if there is an even bigger buffoon than Johnson, it is Galloway.
By noemon
Johnson, is the President of the Joint Association of Classical Teachers, and can read Modern Greek newspapers, as he illustrated in a bid to win the Greek Londoner votes.

Meh, that is good enough for me. :)

Galloway certainly surpasses him in buffooness.
By Unperson-K
Politics is the most boring of all puppet shows because the protagonists are so adamant that they are not in fact puppets but are real people who really do make a difference. This is not so much of an issue with Johnson because he is patently ridiculous and aware of it: he manipulated his celebrity status as a clown to help him win this election. As such, the puppet show of politics might actually start doing what it should be doing: providing us with some entertainment and mild comic relief.

To ask anything more of politicians is both naive and ignorant.
By noemon
Kirillov wrote:Politics is the most boring of all puppet shows because the protagonists are so adamant that they are not in fact puppets but are real people who really do make a difference. This is not so much of an issue with Johnson because he is patently ridiculous and aware of it: he manipulated his celebrity status as a clown to help him win this election. As such, the puppet show of politics might actually start doing what it should be doing: providing us with some entertainment and mild comic relief.

To ask anything more of politicians is both naive and ignorant.

Now, this is something to be Quoted For Truth.
By stalker
After a bit of reading about Boris, I've concluded he's a no-good populist buffon.
By QatzelOk
I love how the 'news' article in the OP never talks about what the new mayor has promised (or warned) that he will do that is any different then Livingstone. That is the only interesting thing about this 'change' of regime.

Instead - as in most commercial election coverage - we are treated to numbers and horse-race narration - the infotainment of the imbecile.

I suspect that is what London will experience after the election as well.
By Doomhammer
redcarpet wrote:...voting against their own interests so often.

Indeed. That will inevitably take place in any democratic system and frequently does. It is ironic that democracy is for the benefit of the people and yet the said people are incapable of choosing what is best for them. And when one tries to rectify this situation or at least points out the error in the ways of people, one is immediately (and enthusiastically) branded as an elitist.

You may observe that democracy promises power to the people. There is no mention of progress or improvement of society, only an assurance of mutual dissatisfaction. And when you think about it, there is no power to the people either. People are manipulated to choose leaders from a few possible candidates. These elected "representatives" rarely do represent the people - merely their own interest, which shapes the trends in public opinion (not vice versa).

Ok. I am not ranting about Boris. I hardly know the guy. :D

As is usually the case, you are wrong. Back in t[…]

I am not lying You purposefully ignore this, b[…]

@Rugoz Why does wanting America taken down a p[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

litwin doesn't know this. What litwin knows is: […]