Serious Injuries. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Would you sooner be dead, than live like this?

I am aged 18 - 25, and would sooner be dead
5%
I am aged 26 - 35 and would sooner be dead
No votes
0%
I am aged 36 -45 and would sooner be dead
No votes
0%
I am aged 46 - 55 and would sooner be dead
5%
I am over 56 and would sooner be dead
No votes
0%
I would prefer to live, even if seriously injured like this
76%
Other
14%
By sploop!
This is a philosophy/morality kind of opinion poll...

Scenario: You have been involved in a horrific vehicle accident of some sort - you can't remember anything about what happened. All you know is that you have woken up in hospital, 6 years have passed, and you have lost both your legs and your preferred arm. Simple question. Would you sooner be dead?
By Salve
It depends. Who else is alive? If my loved ones are still by my side I would rather live. If they were gone, either left me or died in the accident, I would consider dying.
By ThereBeDragons
If you added on the other arm and then took my voice for good measure, I might think about considering it, even though I'd still be better off than Stephen Hawkings.

As is, certainly not.

By the way, I voted other.
By sploop!
Regarding your loved ones - you need to base your decision on whether you think they would hang around for 6 years waiting for you to wake up, and whether you would be comfortable having them look after you for the next however many years.

ThereBeYe: By the way, I voted other.
How come? Your post suggested a 'No'...
By ingliz
I would sooner be dead
By Abood
As for me, I don't really know. But I would never kill myself, that's for sure.
By Mazhi
I would prefer to be alive, maybe they'll find a way to install robotic legs and an arm on me that will be just like my real ones.
By Dr House
Well, since there are prosthetic attachments I can use, I probably wouldn't kill myself.

-Dr House :smokin:
By Thunderhawk
By Suska
the only thats gonna kick me off Earth is chronic pain, even then itd have to be totally unmanageable and unrelenting
By Nets

Without doubt. If I retained my mental faculties, I see no reason to end my life. I'd get a wheelchair, learn to write and type with my left arm, and basically continue on.

Plus, I'd have to live just to seek revenge on the one who put me in that state.
By Zyx
It would not be painful to recover from an injury. Relearning things may be harsh but lobbying for change would be that much more effective!

Earning a new paradigm (the disable's) is nothing to kill oneself over.
By Galoredk
I would stop feeling sorry for myself and set new goals in life... like being the first Golf tour pro with no legs or run a marathon. People who kill themself because their pretty little lives change are basically losers.

Get back on the horse and prove you're a winner.
By El Gilroy
I'd go on living. Hell, prosthetics might be mighty advanced six years from now!
By stalker

Prosthetics are improving at a very fast rate.
By ingliz
Phantom pain, erectile dysfunction, kidney problems, possible heart problems, skin problems - necrosis, ulcers, bacteriological and fungal infections, broken bones in sound limb due to over stressing - this can lead to amputation of the sound limb, complications, complications and they all get worse with age. No not for me, euthanasia Thankyou. :|
By sploop!
My earlier comment has vanished - maybe I was misunderstood?

Anyhoo, what prompted this for me was the observation that when I was younger, I would have agreed with ingliz. Nowadays, I think otherwise. Obviously, my life has changed considerably over the years, and I have gotten older. I just wondered if attitudes to this scenario might be driven by age. Clearly, though, judging from this unscientific exercise, they are not.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Since Hamas would have been unable to enter the ho[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be used[…]

@FiveofSwords " Franz [B]oas " Are[…]

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/178385974554[…]