Pregnant Women on Antidepressants, Risk to Babies? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

This is not right. The FDA may approve of this but how many times has it revaluated anti-depressants risks ?

Today in the United States, 11 percent of women take antidepressants, the use of antidepressants by pregnant women has dramatically increased, and postpartum depression -- rare in those cultures in which women receive high levels of social support following childbirth -- has become so staggeringly common among U.S. women that Congress is legislating increased medical treatment.

Increasing Use of Antidepressants by Pregnant Mothers

Receiving little attention in 2007 was the study "Increasing Use of Antidepressants in Pregnancy," published by the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Medical records of 105,335 pregnant women enrolled in Tennessee Medicaid from 1999-2003 revealed that antidepressant use during pregnancy increased from 5.7 percent in 1999 to 13.4 percent in 2003.
http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/87298/
[/quote]
By Nets
rare in those cultures in which women receive high levels of social support following childbirth -- has become so staggeringly common among U.S. women that Congress is legislating increased medical treatment.

I'm not sure I buy this. Perhaps it is just more diagnosed and acknowledged in the U.S. relative to more patriarchal societies with no psychological services. I can't imagine third-world baby factories are all that content.
By Todd D.
What, is this a Church of Scientology hit piece or something? As if women suffering from PPD are just "too weak" to snap themselves out of it?
By War Angel
I can't imagine third-world baby factories are all that content.

It's a known fact that third-world citizens are far less likely to suffer from depression. When your life is good, you have plenty of time for self-contemplation, and you don't know how lucky you are.

So, yeah, baby-factories in shitty countries ARE more content, because, quite simply, they have no idea they shouldn't be. Once the idea of post-whatever-stress-depression-thingie is planted into our knowledge, we seem to suffer more... just like hypochondriacs are sick a lot more often.

That's also the reason why placebos work.
By Dave
One of many reasons I will never date a woman who is on antidepressants.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]