RELAX, Gas Prices WILL Come Back Down. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I hope he's right....

Stephen Schork is the president of The Schork Group. He also consults for major oil firms, OPEC member countries, and hedge funds.

Stephen Schork: The estimates are that oil right now is essentially fairly valued at about $95 a barrel. This is essentially why all the major Wall Street houses back in December, when they were giving us their 2008 forecast, all their average ranges ranged between $85 and $95. So anything above and beyond that is essentially this speculative bubble. There is no doubt what we are seeing now is long-term bullish prognostications. This has created a panic. People are moving in this market. This is nothing unlike what we saw in the dot-com market in the late 1990s. When this bubble bursts -- and it will burst -- we're going to go right back to where we started from, below fair market value, below $95, back towards $70, when this all began last August.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/jan-june08/oilprices_06-24.html
By SeriousCat
wraith261 wrote:Stephen Schork: The estimates are that oil right now is essentially fairly valued at about $95 a barrel. This is essentially why all the major Wall Street houses back in December, when they were giving us their 2008 forecast, all their average ranges ranged between $85 and $95. So anything above and beyond that is essentially this speculative bubble.

I don't want to sound pedantic, but Schork used the word "essentially" once in each sentence for three consecutive sentences; his limited vocabulary is annoying.
By NYYS
I agree. The speculators have way overshot.

It's going to be hella nice for everyone in a year or so, when gas price is suddenly halved and they've been budgeting for $4-$5/gallon. They're going to suddenly have thousands of dollars a year left over.
By wraith261
I edited the full quote a bit, that may be why it sounds awkward. Scroll down to the bottom of that link if you want to read it in its entirety.
By wraith261
I agree. The speculators have way overshot.
Not only that, all the fund managers have raced in to buy oil contracts while the market is hot just like they bought shares of the dot coms which drove the Nasdaq index to ridiculously high levels. We may still see $5 a gallon gas but once this bubble pops we'll be back in the upper $2, low $3 dollar a gallon range

It's going to be hella nice for everyone in a year or so
And of course the new president (whoever he is) will try to take credit for it. :roll:
Last edited by wraith261 on 25 Jun 2008 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
By SeriousCat
wraith261 wrote:And of course the new president (whoever he is) will try to take credit for it.

But that would be dishonest!
By Dr House
But that would be dishonest!

:lol:

We need a sarcasm tag.

-Dr House :smokin:
By MVictorP
Dr House wrote:We need a sarcasm tag.

Indeed we do, good doctor.

Sarcasm is an essential, post-modern mean of psychological survival.

Caricaturists are the only credible philosophers nowadays.
By QatzelOk
The estimates are that oil right now is essentially fairly valued at about $95 a barrel.

What does this even mean, "essentially fairly valued at about this estimate?"

He uses so many qualifiers, that I'm thinking he must essentially be more-or-less talking through his hat, sort of.
By wraith261
What does this even mean, "essentially fairly valued at about this estimate?"
From the quote...."This is essentially why all the major Wall Street houses back in December, when they were giving us their 2008 forecast, all their average ranges ranged between $85 and $95."

In other words the best minds in the futures markets who took into account all the global variables of supply and demand stated that the actual value of oil in 2008 should be $85 to $95 dollars a barrel.

By QatzelOk
the best minds

Is that how the market works? Supply and best minds?

I always thought the demand played a role, but I guess I was essentially sort of mistaken, kind of.
By wraith261
Is that how the market works? Supply and best minds?
I repeat....In other words the best minds in the futures markets who took into account all the global variables of supply and demand stated that the actual value of oil in 2008 should be $85 to $95 dollars a barrel.

So yes, that is how the market works.

I always thought the demand played a role, but I guess I was essentially sort of mistaken, kind of.
Or you essentially didn't even read what I wrote...kind of.

By QatzelOk
Or you essentially didn't even read what I wrote...kind of.

You actually wrote something?

All I see you do is bold-quote others writing, and then place some bland regurgitated commercial media meme under it. This is useless. We are all familiar with conventional media thinking - we don't need you to rehash it for us.
By wraith261
You actually wrote something?
Yes, it had letters and words and even some punctuation. :D

All I see you do is bold-quote others writing, and then place some bland regurgitated commercial media meme under it.
It's simply my writing style. In the future I'll try to make it a bit more exotic (and maybe even erotic.)

We are all familiar with conventional media thinking - we don't need you to rehash it for us.
I am merely expounding on what this expert was saying about the oil futures markets I'm sorry if this agitates you. :?:

By Nets
House, let him get it out of its system.

N00bs first encounters with Qatz or Spidermonkey are always entertaining.
By wraith261
N00bs first encounters with Qatz or Spidermonkey are always entertaining.
Don't forget NoRapture, Ingliz and MVictorP, they too are the backbone of intellectual thought on this board.

By QatzelOk
I am merely expounding on what this expert was saying
What expert? Do you mean Nostradamus?

Or do you think some guy with an MBA (does he even have one of these?) and a media connection (why else would anyone print his horrible writing?) can tell the world what the "real" price of oil really kind of should be in a way essentially?

Anyone could call themselves a "Marshmallow Expert" and tell us that they really "should" cost five dollars each. So what? The actual price is what we pay, and the future price will depend on supply and demand, and not some mouthpiece with too many adjectives in each undergrad sentence.
By wraith261
What expert? Do you mean Nostradamus?
So your argument in this thread is that there are no experts on oil commodities. Yet another profound QatzelOk conclusion.

Or do you think some guy with an MBA (does he even have one of these?) and a media connection (why else would anyone print his horrible writing?) can tell the world what the "real" price of oil really kind of should be
Yes, nevermind the fact that Wall Street experts have been doing this for decades. It's not an exact science and he may be wrong but I'll take his word over yours for now.

Anyone could call themselves a "Marshmallow Expert" and tell us that they really "should" cost five dollars each.
I'm sorry Qatzel, but since he's consulting for major oil firms, OPEC member countries, and hedge funds and since the "News Hour with Jim Lehrer" is a respected news source, I'll again take his word over yours...thanks.

So what? The actual price is what we pay, and the future price will depend on supply and demand
Which is exactly what the Wall Street analysts try to determine based on the latest data when they forecast future prices.

I have no idea what you're screeching about here or why you have such antagonism for what this individual said. Try to calm down just a little. :?:

Last edited by wraith261 on 28 Jul 2008 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
By QatzelOk
I'm sorry Qatzel, but since he's consulting for major oil firms, OPEC member countries, and hedge funds and since the "News Hour with Jim Lehrer" is a respected news source, I'll again take his word over yours...thanks.

So for you, this guy is credible because of oil company links and prominent media placement. Big Media and Big Oil have sold you yet another Edsel of infotainment.
By wraith261
So for you, this guy is credible because of oil company links and prominent media placement.
When talking about oil prices I guess it is a liability to have on your resume that you're a consultant to major oil firms as well as OPEC. :?:

Big Media and Big Oil have sold you yet another Edsel of infotainment.
I just haven't evolved enough where I'm willing to get all my news from agenda driven web blogs where anyone can post whatever they want; be patient with me.

Last edited by wraith261 on 27 Jun 2008 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

I don't care how minor you think the genetic diff[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]