Not Mourning Tim Russet's Death, Just Another Cog in the.. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Machine

I like this article

Real Journalists Don't Make $5 Million a Year
By Chris Hedges, Truthdig
Posted on June 26, 2008, Printed on June 29, 2008
http://www.alternet.org/story/89301/

Washington has become Versailles. We are ruled, entertained and informed by courtiers. The popular media are courtiers. The Democrats, like the Republicans, are courtiers. Our pundits and experts are courtiers. We are captivated by the hollow stagecraft of political theater as we are ruthlessly stripped of power. It is smoke and mirrors, tricks and con games. We are being had.

The past week was a good one if you were a courtier. We were instructed by the high priests on television over the past few days to mourn a Sunday morning talk show host, who made $5 million a year and who gave a platform to the powerful and the famous so they could spin, equivocate and lie to the nation. We were repeatedly told by these television courtiers, people like Tom Brokaw and Wolf Blitzer, that this talk show host was one of our nation's greatest journalists, as if sitting in a studio, putting on makeup and chatting with Dick Cheney or George W. Bush have much to do with journalism.

No journalist makes $5 million a year. No journalist has a comfortable, cozy relationship with the powerful. No journalist believes that acting as a conduit, or a stenographer, for the powerful is a primary part of his or her calling. Those in power fear and dislike real journalists. Ask Seymour Hersh and Amy Goodman how often Bush or Cheney has invited them to dinner at the White House or offered them an interview.

All governments lie, as I.F. Stone pointed out, and it is the job of the journalist to do the hard, tedious reporting to shine a light on these lies. It is the job of courtiers, those on television playing the role of journalists, to feed off the scraps tossed to them by the powerful and never question the system. In the slang of the profession, these television courtiers are "throats." These courtiers, including the late Tim Russert, never gave a voice to credible critics in the buildup to the war against Iraq. They were too busy playing their roles as red-blooded American patriots. They never fought back in their public forums against the steady erosion of our civil liberties and the trashing of our Constitution. These courtiers blindly accept the administration's current propaganda to justify an attack on Iran. They parrot this propaganda. They dare not defy the corporate state. The corporations that employ them make them famous and rich. It is their Faustian pact. No class of courtiers, from the eunuchs behind Manchus in the 19th century to the Baghdad caliphs of the Abbasid caliphate, has ever transformed itself into a responsible elite. Courtiers are hedonists of power.

Our Versailles was busy this past week. The Democrats passed the FISA bill, which provides immunity for the telecoms that cooperated with the National Security Agency's illegal surveillance over the past six years. This bill, which when signed means we will never know the extent of the Bush White House's violation of our civil liberties, is expected to be adopted by the Senate. Barack Obama has promised to sign it in the name of national security. The bill gives the U.S. government a license to eavesdrop on our phone calls and e-mails. It demolishes our right to privacy. It endangers the work of journalists, human rights workers, crusading lawyers and whistle-blowers who attempt to expose abuses the government seeks to hide. These private communications can be stored indefinitely and disseminated, not just to the U.S. government but to other governments as well. The bill, once signed into law, will make it possible for those in power to identify and silence anyone who dares to make public information that defies the official narrative.

Being a courtier, and Obama is one of the best, requires agility and eloquence. The most talented of them can be lauded as persuasive actors. They entertain us. They make us feel good. They convince us they are our friends. We would like to have dinner with them. They are the smiley faces of a corporate state that has hijacked the government and is raping the nation. When the corporations make their iron demands, these courtiers drop to their knees, whether to placate the telecommunications companies that fund their campaigns and want to be protected from lawsuits, or to permit oil and gas companies to rake in obscene profits and keep in place the vast subsidies of corporate welfare doled out by the state.

We cannot differentiate between illusion and reality. We trust courtiers wearing face powder who deceive us in the name of journalism. We trust courtiers in our political parties who promise to fight for our interests and then pass bill after bill to further corporate fraud and abuse. We confuse how we feel about courtiers like Obama and Russert with real information, facts and knowledge. We chant in unison with Obama that we want change, we yell "yes we can," and then stand dumbly by as he coldly votes away our civil liberties. The Democratic Party, including Obama, continues to fund the war. It refuses to impeach Bush and Cheney. It allows the government to spy on us without warrants or cause. And then it tells us it is our salvation. This is a form of collective domestic abuse. And, as so often happens in the weird pathology of victim and victimizer, we keep coming back for more.

Chris Hedges, a Pulitzer prize-winning reporter, is a Senior Fellow at the Nation Institute. His latest book is Collateral Damage: America's War Against Iraqi Civilians.
By NoRapture
Good piece. My sentiments exactly. I don't want to see anyone die. But I despised Tim Russert.
By Ombrageux
I think the entire American media failed over Iraq. Nonetheless, I liked Russert, he worked constantly at what he did, loved it, and shared that joy with other people. Isn't that something to aspire to?
By millie_(A)TCK
No, not in professions that hold responsibility such as governing, health care, and yes journalism. Journalism holds a vital role in democracies. Misrepresentation and misinforming or in his case, ignoring of critical issues, in journalism aide and abet human rights violations or as well, the states laws.
By Donna
He interviewed Hunter S Thompson at 3 in the morning once
By NoRapture
Yes. He interviewed Michael Moore and Seymour Hirsch once too. After repeatedly trying to destroy them with insinuations ranging from having had sex with their mothers to picking their nose in public he'd satisfy himself at the end by giving them his chubby little grin and say something like, "You're a funny little monkey, aren't you?"

Contrasted with Cheney's interviews in which he'd smile dreamily, swoon and cluck while Cheney lied blatantly into his face and the camera about war fraud, torture, and contracting malfeasance. To which Russert would follow up with questions like, "Do you think your legacy will be in the tradition of history's greatest statesmen, or more Christlike?"
By Maas

I think Hunter S Thompson would be more awake at 3 in the morning than 10 in the morning.
By wraith261
Washington has become Versailles. We are ruled, entertained and informed by courtiers. We are captivated by the hollow stagecraft of political theater as we are ruthlessly stripped of power.
So once again we have the standard arrogant claim that we're all just zombies to the corporate controlled "infotainment" media and their advertisers while only those people who are blessed with the wisdom to agree with Chris Hedges are capable of appreciating untainted news and truth.

It's bad enough that these people have self-appointed themselves to this phony pseudo-intellectual perch but it's even worse that a pulitzer prize winner would use the death of a well-respected journalist to shovel this kind of garbage.

Tim Russert was very objective and well-researched in his interviews, he asked tough questions was respected across the ideological and political spectrum as well as respected by top journalists from multiple outlets. I wonder if Chris Hedges will leave the same legacy.

By sazerac
I wonder if Chris Hedges will leave the same legacy.

Well certainly not writing articles for "Alternet!" :lol:
By NoRapture
So once again we have the standard arrogant claim that we're all just zombies to the corporate controlled "infotainment" media and their advertisers while only those people who are blessed with the wisdom to agree with Chris Hedges are capable of appreciating untainted news and truth.
Yeah. I think that's the basic gist of it, wraith. You might want to look into it. You'll have to relinquish your little white knuckle grasp on the MSM for a second. I give you credit though. You could give Kim Jong-il's sculptor some lessons in denial, and on relentless adherence to desperate, mindless propaganda.
Last edited by NoRapture on 29 Jun 2008 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
By wraith261
Yeah. I think that's the basic gist of it, wraith. You might want to look into it. You'll have to relinquish your little white knuckle grasp on the MSM for a second.
Oh but I can't do that. I'm too far gone and just want the simple soundbites that the corporate controlled media feeds to me. I simply don't have the courage that you have to see..."THE TRUTH."

I give you credit though. You could give Kim Jong-il's sculptor some lessons on adhering to desperate, mindless propaganda
So now defending Tim Russert falls under the label of desperate, mindless, propaganda. Don't fall off your little superiority perch NoRapture...oh wait nevermind, you only occupy one in your mind.

By sazerac
Hey, what's up with "wraith291?"

Qatzel has lodged a complaint in the Basement.

He's just upset that you keep winning all the debates. :p
By wraith261
Hey, what's up with "wraith291?"
I changed my email address but for some reason this site isn't letting me switch emails in my profile so I just started a new account.

By NoRapture
I changed my email address but for some reason this site isn't letting me switch emails in my profile so I just started a new account.
What would be wrong with simply using the quote button that has been supplied by the forum for that purpose?
By Donna
I love it when someone dies, and then a culture-rebel writes an article why they shouldn't be mourned.
By wraith261
What would be wrong with simply using the quote button that has been supplied by the forum for that purpose?
What does the quote button have to do with my email address?

By NoRapture
I love it when someone dies, and then a culture-rebel writes an article why they shouldn't be mourned.
That, and train wrecks. Maybe they just get mourned for the wrong reasons.
By sazerac

Oh, ok.

QatzelOK, if anybody is spamming this forum it is you! You have no evidence for a single ridiculous thing you believe.

Inglez, "see QatzelOK's post?" Was there some reason why his post needed special attention in The Basement? :eh:
By wraith261
QatzelOK, if anybody is spamming this forum it is you!
I assume he's trying to get my account deleted. Once again we see how truly openminded some on the far left really are and how tolerant they are of free speech.

By Nets
Career envy methinks.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Since Hamas would have been unable to enter the ho[…]

The bill proposed by Congress could easily be used[…]

@FiveofSwords " Franz [B]oas " Are[…]

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/178385974554[…]