Probably the dumbest idea you'll ever read - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Sports, Hobbies and all things unrelated to Politics.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Try not to laugh or start swearing

Try not to laugh or start swearing

Motor Sport in the Olympics

The summer Olympic games are held every four years to celebrate the world's athletes and their accomplishments. Olympic champions demonstrate teamwork, endurance, precision and athleticism. These all sound like the characteristics of a top NASCAR team too. Why shouldn't there be Olympic NASCAR?

Motorsports of many different shapes and sizes are enjoyed throughout the world. NASCAR, Formula One, Rally, Drag Racing and many other forms of motorsport are found in many countries.

Determination, precision, athleticism, endurance and sportsmanship are some of the words that are most often used to describe Olympic athletes. These words can also easily be used to describe NASCAR race teams.

Is NASCAR a Sport?

Some people would argue that the car does all the work. That argument works just as well for the Olympic equestrian sport of dressage? In that case most of the work is done up front by the horse's trainers.

I would argue that your average NASCAR team puts just as much work into preparing their ride. With building, testing and tuning to get ready for race day a good race car can be years in the making.

During the event the drivers and race teams are working together closely. The teamwork, precision and the athleticism required to drive a race car at speed for four hours in the extreme heat and vibration seen in the cockpit rival that of most other Olympic events.

Motorsports Belong in the Olympics

NASCAR or some other form of motorsports deserve a spot in the Olympic games.

I can picture it now. Forty cars from twenty different countries painted up with their national colors taking the green flag in front of a huge sellout crowd. That would be a proud moment for race fans around the world.

Someone is suggesting to the IOC for it to be shunned.
By Nattering Nabob
Aren't various forms of marksmanship are olympic events? I see little difference between that and auto racing.
By Vmax
It's meant be man and the elements. Not a motor. If you're going to have engines then you might as well have steroids...... hold on we already do! :lol:
By Nets
Why not?

The Olympics has all sorts of dumb sports, why not this?

I stopped paying attn. when the Olympics dropped baseball anyway, so I couldn't really care less.
By Ideational Ontarian
I think they should go the opposite direction. Take out all events that aren't actually sports. No more shooting or equestrian BS. If you don't sweat when doing or training to do it then it shouldn't be in.
By Sniperwolfe
No more shooting or equestrian BS.

I feel that anything that's not totally done by the athlete should be taken out, in other words equestrian should be taken out, shooting not.

Motor sports aren't an Olympic sport, and hopefully never will be. It should be all about the athlete.
By Nets
By such logic field hockey should be out as well since it uses a tool and equipment, and isn't all about the athlete.

Similarly, ditch classic Olympic sports like javelin and discus, since those are basically the same as a shooting match which you've ruled out.
By Vmax
Why not?

The Olympics has all sorts of dumb sports, why not this?

I stopped paying attn. when the Olympics dropped baseball anyway, so I couldn't really care less.

Why should baseball an olympic sport, it's not exactly global. It's played by Americans in American. or is this Americas way of going further up the league table. Thank god other countries don't take the same attitude with their national sports.
By Vmax
I think they should go the opposite direction. Take out all events that aren't actually sports. No more shooting or equestrian BS. If you don't sweat when doing or training to do it then it shouldn't be in.

I'll agree with that one 100% even shooting equestrians could be on the menu, BUT there's a flaw in your plan. Swimming! I've never seen anyone sweat from doing swimming and I don't think I'm likely to.
By Zel
Thats because the sweat is washed away the moment it pours out of their bodies.
By Gletkin
Nets wrote:I stopped paying attn. when the Olympics dropped baseball anyway, so I couldn't really care less.

I don't think it's final. The IOC may yet be convinced to change their minds (softball too).

Rollerball should be made an Olympic event (at least the original version....I've never seen the remake).
By Vmax
Why stop there, add fox hunting. :hmm:

You have to admit all these half baked ideas are to make America look good and no other reason.
By Verv
I am against NASCAR being in there but I am 100% for Marksmanship and Archery.

On one hand, yeah, the machine does a lot of th ework but you have to remember: everyone has very similar, top of the line machines.

Shooting / archery are difficult practices that require extreme concentration -- you need to be in a zone.

It's not like they are just shooting until someone fucks up; these people are the best for a reason.

I challenge any of you to go out to a rifle range or an archery range and shoot at targets 300 meters away and see what happens after a few weeks of doing this...

Oh yeah, you may get better, but you will gain new respect for it as you probably aren't half as good as you thought you would be and there really is skill involved.
By Maas
Olympic sports are sports that are done by athletes from a wide virarity of nations and continents. Seal clubbing, and fox hunting don't got that. So is Nascar racing.... it's also the reason why baseball has to go.
By McGentrix
The equestrian sports should also be done away with unless every rider gets the same horse.
By Oxymoron
Sports that should be in Olympics:

KickBoxing.
MMA.
Bowling.

Sports that should be in olympics if Ping Pong is in the Olympics:

Pool.
Air Hockey.
Pac Man.
By Verv

KickBoxing.
MMA.
Bowling.

These are great additions. I agree with these.

Michael Jackson was a saint tho and still is, ins[…]

You must die on the hill of ZERO genetic differen[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you really believe that America decides how Uk[…]

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipmen[…]