UK’s first official sharia (Islamic) courts - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts

ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Rulings issued by a network of five sharia courts are enforceable with the full power of the judicial system, through the county courts or High Court.

Previously, the rulings of sharia courts in Britain could not be enforced, and depended on voluntary compliance among Muslims.

It has now emerged that sharia courts with these powers have been set up in London, Birmingham, Bradford and Manchester with the network’s headquarters in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. Two more courts are being planned for Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sheikh Faiz-ul-Aqtab Siddiqi, whose Muslim Arbitration Tribunal runs the courts, said he had taken advantage of a clause in the Arbitration Act 1996.

Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.

Siddiqi said: “We realised that under the Arbitration Act we can make rulings which can be enforced by county and high courts. The act allows disputes to be resolved using alternatives like tribunals. This method is called alternative dispute resolution, which for Muslims is what the sharia courts are.”

The disclosure that Muslim courts have legal powers in Britain comes seven months after Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was pilloried for suggesting that the establishment of sharia in the future “seems unavoidable” in Britain.

In July, the head of the judiciary, the lord chief justice, Lord Phillips, further stoked controversy when he said that sharia could be used to settle marital and financial disputes.

In fact, Muslim tribunal courts started passing sharia judgments in August 2007. They have dealt with more than 100 cases that range from Muslim divorce and inheritance to nuisance neighbours.

It has also emerged that tribunal courts have settled six cases of domestic violence between married couples, working in tandem with the police investigations.

Siddiqi said he expected the courts to handle a greater number of “smaller” criminal cases in coming years as more Muslim clients approach them. “All we are doing is regulating community affairs in these cases,” said Siddiqi, chairman of the governing council of the tribunal.

Jewish Beth Din courts operate under the same provision in the Arbitration Act and resolve civil cases, ranging from divorce to business disputes. They have existed in Britain for more than 100 years, and previously operated under a precursor to the act.

Politicians and church leaders expressed concerns that this could mark the beginnings of a “parallel legal system” based on sharia for some British Muslims.

Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, said: “If it is true that these tribunals are passing binding decisions in the areas of family and criminal law, I would like to know which courts are enforcing them because I would consider such action unlawful. British law is absolute and must remain so.”

Douglas Murray, the director of the Centre for Social Cohesion, said: “I think it’s appalling. I don’t think arbitration that is done by sharia should ever be endorsed or enforced by the British state.”

There are concerns that women who agree to go to tribunal courts are getting worse deals because Islamic law favours men.

Siddiqi said that in a recent inheritance dispute handled by the court in Nuneaton, the estate of a Midlands man was divided between three daughters and two sons.

The judges on the panel gave the sons twice as much as the daughters, in accordance with sharia. Had the family gone to a normal British court, the daughters would have got equal amounts.

In the six cases of domestic violence, Siddiqi said the judges ordered the husbands to take anger management classes and mentoring from community elders. There was no further punishment.

In each case, the women subsequently withdrew the complaints they had lodged with the police and the police stopped their investigations.

Siddiqi said that in the domestic violence cases, the advantage was that marriages were saved and couples given a second chance.

Inayat Bunglawala, assistant secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said: “The MCB supports these tribunals. If the Jewish courts are allowed to flourish, so must the sharia ones.”

Source

I have a feeling this is the beginning of something very dangerous. Don't these people immigrate to the west to get away from their oppressive, discriminatory Islamic law?
By ThereBeDragons
They are opt-in courts, no?
By ingliz
W01f:

Good, I don't see why everyone is making such a fuss. The Jews have had their own courts for a long time and it doesn't seem to bother anybody, and if Moslems have the same what is there to complain about? Nobody is forcing anybody to use them. Moslems still have to use a secular court if Sharia law is unacceptable to either party in a dispute. And please remember before going off on one - arbitration isn't criminal law!
By Annatar
What the fuck has happened to Britain?

Within less than hundred years Britain has gone from being the world's greatest exporter of Western civilisation to accepting barbaric practices at home.
By Captain Sam
What the fuck has happened to Britain?

Within less than hundred years Britain has gone from being the world's greatest exporter of Western civilisation to accepting barbaric practices at home.

Canada is pretty well known for being a diverse and tolerant country, but we don't start changing all our laws to accommodate other religions.

Ugh, if this shit continues, Europe is going to break out into a civil war. Fascism/Nationalism is on a very dangerous rise in western europe.
By hannu
Good move.

If disputes can be settled easier, at less cost & it frees the existing UK judicial system up that's got to be good for the UK taxpayer.
By Okonkwo
As long both parties agree to be judged under Shar'ia, there has to be Ijmā, consensus of the community.
The punishment sure as hell isn't going to be more lenient than normal British law, rather the opposite.

I do however think it is rather stupid to enforce Islamic law, and I am from a Muslim background. There are many things wrong with Sharia, including freedom of speech, slavery and gay rights as well as divorce. If Sharia would ever want to be enforced upon these issues within the British Muslim community it should be the point where the British people should put it to an end. Even religious liberties have a limit.

Captain Sam wrote:Fascism/Nationalism is on a very dangerous rise in western europe.

I agree. From my experience it's rather Nationalism mixed with an "anti-capitalist" platform and less Italian style Fascism.
The election posters around town are horrible, on every corner there's a big one that says "social benefits are only possible on a national level - capitalism and exploitation are on a global level!"
Oh the stupidity.
By Muck
Fascism/Nationalism is on a very dangerous rise in western europe.

I'd have thought that this thread alone is enough to counter your claim.

I don't think some people understand how limited their powers are.
By Nattering Nabob
Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.

Heh...it's the Islamic version of Judge Judy...
By Captain Sam
I'd have thought that this thread alone is enough to counter your claim.

I don't think some people understand how limited their powers are.

The nationalist party in the Netherlands is the 2nd largest party now. Italy is becoming a nationalist state once again, and the nationlist party in France is the 3rd largest. There is a recent surge of nationalism over the past few years, due to the large amount of muslim immigrants. The muslim population in europe has been trying to undermine european culture and attempting to mold western european countries to be more like Islamic states. It has been causing a lot of unrest.
By sploop!
If the ignorance and anti-Muslim bias displayed in some of the replies here is replicated in the UK population, then I guess there might be a problem. I assume our robust laws against racial discrimination might be of some help in future.

Personally, I think this is a fine idea, and I have no problem with it whatsoever. The idea that this in any way sets up some sort of parallel legal system is just stoopid...
By Muck
The nationalist party in the Netherlands is the 2nd largest party now.

The second largest party is Labour, who I believe are centre/left.

Italy is becoming a nationalist state once again

Italian politics suffers from schizophrenia. I'd have thought having Berlusconi would have been enough to explain how Italian politics works to almost anyone. Italian politics is a parody.

and the nationlist party in France is the 3rd largest.

France has always had an underlying level of nationalism, and last year they got about 10% of the vote, which is about all they will ever get. And they were 4th.

There is a recent surge of nationalism over the past few years, due to the large amount of muslim immigrants.

There are some issues that need addressing, but it's nowhere near the stage where the resurgence of fascism is becoming a real danger.

The muslim population in europe has been trying to undermine european culture and attempting to mold western european countries to be more like Islamic states. It has been causing a lot of unrest.

Well, thanks for letting me know.
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
There are approximately 6 times as many muslims in the UK as there are followers of judaism.

It's about time they reached parity with the jewish community in legal amtters and had this option.

Ingliz and Sploop have made the only sensible replies so far in this thread IMO the rest of it has mainly been ignorant scare mongering.
By Captain Sam
The second largest party is Labour, who I believe are centre/left.

I confused Belgium with the Netherlands, my bad. I could of sworn it was the Netherlands though.

France has always had an underlying level of nationalism, and last year they got about 10% of the vote, which is about all they will ever get. And they were 4th.

Ya, were.

Overall though, there is a recent surge of nationlism in western europe.
By Monkeydust
Sure it might be minor, but it's a step in the completely wrong direction.

The UK is a state with its own laws, based on its own traditions. Having some 'parallel' system running alongside it simply would not work, and accepting Islamic law into British law would be just as bad. This isn't happening yet, but this is the direction in which these moves are pointing.

Multiculturalism doesn't practically work. Any ethnic or religious group coming into a country has to accept that they will have to live under the laws and customs of that country.
By Potemkin
The UK is a state with its own laws, based on its own traditions. Having some 'parallel' system running alongside it simply would not work

But we already have a parallel system running alongside it. Jews can choose to have their case dealt with under specifically Jewish law, and have been able to do so for a very long time. It seems to work perfectly well. Why can't Muslims have the same right?
By sploop!
Isn't the Scottish legal system also different to the English one? What about Guernsey and Jersey? Northern Ireland also has different laws to England, and one day, I am sure Wales will have too..

The idea that the UK has a single set of laws and traditions displays staggering ignorance of what the UK actually is.

As for the claim that multiculturalism doesn't work - let's see some evidence. does it not work period, or are you saying that it does not work compared with (say) the conditions in a rampantly racist state such as (ooh - let's see now...) Israel, for example?
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
Just to remind everyone what the OP actually says:
Jewish Beth Din courts operate under the same provision in the Arbitration Act and resolve civil cases, ranging from divorce to business disputes. They have existed in Britain for more than 100 years, and previously operated under a precursor to the act.

Please read the OP before posting knee jerk reactions.

Thank You
By Muck
the conditions in a rampantly racist state such as (ooh - let's see now...) Israel, for example?

Every. Fucking. Thread. :O
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I haven't bothered to watch all of this video. The[…]

At first, I thought @FiveofSwords was a legit wh[…]

The enemies of freedom are strong in this topic. […]

https://twitter.com/GAMZIRI24/status/1782513808746[…]