Shooting In Finnish School - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Red Star
Man opens fire at Finnish college

A gunman has opened fire at a college in western Finland, the country's national broadcaster reports.

YLE quotes police as saying the incident, at a vocational school in the town of Kauhajoki, is ongoing.

Police told YLE and another Finnish news agency they feared several people may have been injured, possibly killed.

Last November a student shot dead eight people at a school in Tuusula. The level of gun ownership in Finland is among the highest in the world.

A BBC correspondent in Finland said a gunman dressed in black was seen at the school, apparently carrying an automatic weapon.

Police ordered an evacuation and called for reinforcements. There were reports of a fire at the site and of at least one injured girl seen leaving the school, our correspondent says.

BBC News

AFP newswire just reported he has been disarmed and arrested by police, but reports are still conflicting.

What's the bet this guy posted on SE too?
By Red Rebel
Red Star wrote:What's the bet this guy posted on SE too?

Never realized we had so many Finnish people on the S-E until you read about them in the news...
By Kiroff
Never realized we had so many Finnish people on the S-E until you read about them in the news...

Indeed... Also, I never knew how awesome Finnish accents are.

But if it's another Finnish Libertarian type like the last one... Man, Jaakko should really do something about that.
By Nets
Very very sad. I don't understand the motivation for these acts, and I doubt I ever will.

So much for "oh, school shootings only happen in Amerikkka", etc.

I know people will jump all over this from the other side, but I do think this is just one more reason to have stricter firearm regulation. I know the standard response is "well if the students also had guns he would have been stopped sooner, etc", but I'd rather not live in a society where everyone is armed to the teeth.
By tallpaul
I know people will jump all over this from the other side, but I do think this is just one more reason to have stricter firearm regulation.

For example?
By stalker
Actually it's a reason to have less strict firearms regulations.

If the other students had had a gun they'd have capped his ass real quick.
By Dave
Amen stalker. Good to see that some non-Americans have seen the light on guns.
By Kiroff
So much for "oh, school shootings only happen in Amerikkka", etc.

We stopped saying that last year when SE user Ubermensch killed 8 people in a Finland school. :eh:

I know people will jump all over this from the other side, but I do think this is just one more reason to have stricter firearm regulation. I know the standard response is "well if the students also had guns he would have been stopped sooner, etc", but I'd rather not live in a society where everyone is armed to the teeth.

True, you can never objectively determine how armed citizens and the government should be... Besides, school shootings, at least in the US have shown to be crimes that came as a result of the form of the society(kids being bullied, having nothing they can do about it, not being able to take that shit anymore) rather than insanity. Same with workplace violence.
By Igor Antunov
10 dead and gunman kills self.

Motivation for carnage was according to gunman 'hate of mankind'.
By Kiroff
Yeah that's not a shallow analysis or anything. At least ask yourself this question: Why are school students picking up guns and killing their classmates and teachers when they weren't doing that before 1984 when the first school shooting in the conventional sense happenned?
By tallpaul
At least ask yourself this question: Why are school students picking up guns and killing their classmates and teachers when they weren't doing that before 1984 when the first school shooting in the conventional sense happenned?

Because we did away with all the gun laws in 1984? :p
By Red Rebel
What stalker said.

Kirvo wrote:We stopped saying that last year when SE user Ubermensch killed 8 people in a Finland school. :eh:

So Finnish school shooters are evolving? :eh:
1. 8 kills
2. 10 kills
By Kiroff
Ãœbermensch's signature on SE wrote:It's time to put NATURAL SELECTION & SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST back on tracks!

Seems so.
By Mercutio
The "every student should be armed" argument comes up whenever one of these shootings happens.

There are rural schools where it's already in effect but if it ever came to schools in Everytown USA, parents would yank their kids out of those schools faster than you could say "second ammendment".

Matter of fact, I attended a gunsmithing school run by the NRA and they don't even allow ammunition to be in your vehicle much less in the school.
By Infidelis
Matter of fact, I attended a gunsmithing school run by the NRA and they don't even allow ammunition to be in your vehicle much less in the school.

Isn't that more of a safety issue, because they're out and about, being broken down, put back together, with the trigger and firing systems cycling left and right? As opposed to being worried that one of your classmates going on a rampage...
By Donna
We stopped saying that last year when SE user Ubermensch killed 8 people in a Finland school.

lol.. did this really happen?
By Abood
He wants to live in one of those awesome Scandanavian jail cells. Who's going to blame him?
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oex20hQeQp4 No, […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTHsvuKa4s

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O