Lower US speed limit - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Nets
House wrote: Fuck the EU. Fucking bureaucrat bastards wanna deny Germans their right to unlimited velocity.

Heh. You'd hate me, then, I think the speed limit should be lowered to 55 across the US.

[SF note: Split from Today's News (off-topic)]
By Oxymoron
Heh. You'd hate me, then, I think the speed limit should be lowered to 55 across the US.

may I ask why?
By Nets
1. It would save quite a bit of gasoline if people drove slower.
2. It would be safer as well, less road fatalities.
3. I think the costs in lost productivity would be outweighed by these fuel savings.
By Oxymoron

So why not lower it to 25mph?

2. It would be safer as well, less road fatalities.

reckless driving and intoxication cause the overall percentage of accidents, not driving faster then 55mph.

3. I think the costs in lost productivity would be outweighed by these fuel savings.

Again why 55?
By Maas
Again why 55?

I think it has to do with the efficienty of your average car with your average engine and the preformance of how many km/liter/time it makes.
By Kylie

It does work in most vehicles. I wonder why they changed it to 65 on major interstates. I'm also pretty sure that in some states, there aren't really any speed limits.

I do think, however, that it should be a state issue and not a national issue in regards to their roads and how fast people should go on them.
By QatzelOk
Rather than applying one of these half-assed laws that cost a fortune to enforce and do so little overall, it would be better to just get half the cars off the road, and change road designs so that NO ONE can drive very fast -- especially in areas with bike and pedestrian traffic.
By Vilo!
pshh @ all this safety, and car gas preserving bull shit.

Easy money, more vulnerable to speeding tickets increases the volume of fines is what will indirectly come out of it.

By the way; 55 mph is pretty much common in the U.S and we still gas guzzle due to our wonderful distribution of 6 cylinder suv's.
By Paradigm
Qatz wrote:Rather than applying one of these half-assed laws that cost a fortune to enforce and do so little overall, it would be better to just get half the cars off the road, and change road designs so that NO ONE can drive very fast -- especially in areas with bike and pedestrian traffic.

Mark your calendars, kids, because this doesn't happen often: For once, I agree more with Qatz than I do with Nets. I think speed traps are a big waste of resources and a big public nuisance(not that I don't think police should be watching out for dangerous drivers). We need to drastically improve public transportation as well as invest heavily in more fuel-efficient cars and cleaner fuel sources.
By Evilive
I think the speed limit on every road, highway ect. in the US Should be 55, like a universal speedlimit. Also speedtraps are a waste of taxmoney, do away with them as well.
By BrokenSword
I totally agree that speedtraps are a waste of a cop.

For a while here in Colorado, they were trying to deploy a bunch of photo-radar machines, and they just sent the tickets out in the mail. I thought it was great; you could put the things all over the place, and then our speed limits would actually mean something, instead of just being a suggestion.

As I understand it, somebody managed to sue them out of existence as "unconstitutional", since they were managed by a contracted company.

55 or otherwise, I'd like to see that more of that kind of automated enforcement.
By Manuel
You can do it using GPS really. All the government needs is access to it. Then they can measure how far your travelled, and how long it took you to do so. Then an automated program can look at the speed limits in your area, do the simple division, and send out tickets when you speed.
By Donna
reckless driving and intoxication cause the overall percentage of accidents, not driving faster then 55mph.

The more velocity a vehicle has in a collision, the more probable a fatality is.
By QatzelOk
Why design a highway for unlimited speed if the limit will be 55?

Why design intersections for fast-speed turns if you don't want people turning at high velocity?

Why build highways and suburbia if you can't afford the oil to get there?
By hannu
I'm in favour of no speed limit on de-paved roads.

You can't beat a good skid along a single track forest road.
By MrSheepish
I think a speed limit of 65 is reasonable, but I'll top it there. But I will go a step farther. I'll say that it should be illegal to sell cars with a top speed that is greater than 80. There is no way that you can go above 80 legally in any US state, and it is quite dangerous to do so.

I do agree that this is more strict than in many European nations, but I like it that way.
By keso
Also speedtraps are a waste of taxmoney, do away with them as well

If "those who wear lipstick" actually LOST money doing speedtraps, they wouldn't do them.

Why do you think there are so many speedtraps, and so few cops out "stopping crime." Speedtraps make a lot of money.

Stopping crime doesn't pay.

The war on traffic is an undeclared war

You might call such an undeclared war...a police action.

STOP CRIME, not TRAFFIC.

And yet today's police wonder why they don't get respect...Well, start stopping crime, stop harassing traffic.
By Manuel
There is no way that you can go above 80 legally in any US state, and it is quite dangerous to do so.

States like Nebraska, Kansas, Montana and other rural areas frequently remove speed limits from straight country-roads.
By Dr House

Weeeell, you don't have the power to do anything about it and you're a decent guy.

All youse did is convince me not to vote for you if you run for public office. :p
By Little von
Hey, if you want to save money and save on our finite resources, slow down.

It's a fact.

If all you care about is going fast, faster , FASTEST, then just do whatever the feck you want, and to hail with the rest of the world. YOU are the only one that has to really, truly live with yourself.

Just English and scottish actually. Absolute ho[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]