Is hatred ever Justified? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I'm genuinely interested to know how to answer this question. I think a strong case can be made in favor of hatred being justified, if you're a Christian that is (and a lot of people are Christian). The God of the bible, again and again, expresses hatred for sinners, blasphemers, gays, and many other groups of people, many times. So if God expresses hatred, then I think it's pretty clear that it's an acceptable and justifiable emotion.

But I wanted to talk more about my personal experiences, which come from a completely secular background. I have encountered many people in my life who seem to equate hate with fear or jealously. This is something I honesty cannot understand. I have NEVER felt fearful or jealous of things that I hate. Hate is not fear or jealously. Hate is hate. And, it seems to me that hate can be a very empowering emotion that makes me feel really fucking good. There's something about love and pacifism that seems so sad and depressing to me, whereas hate is rooted in raw, primitive power. I love feeling like a wild, savage animal. It makes me feel alive and it makes me feel righteous as hell, knowing that I am right and other people are wrong, and that it's my duty to CRUSH them with the power of my HATE.

But, I also know that too much of anything is not good. I prefer not to feel this way most of the time, but I think there are some situations in which hate is the best possible option. For example, when you have to stand up and fight the good fight, do you think you'll get there by acting soft and loving, or by getting fucking fired up and taking action? Think about it...people who constantly advocate for peace don't actually do anything at all. They just walk around and preach about peace and love. I'm sorry, but that type of stuff doesn't inspire me. What inspires me is the idea of going into battle! And it doesn't necessarily mean a physical battle with guns or bombs, I mean just going into the battle of LIFE. It's a struggle. It just feels to me that when things feel down and you need to make changes then you need to take some serious action, and that this is driven by a firey emotion which is nothing like love. I feel like it comes from the aggression that males, on a hormonal level, that you have to have inside you to understand (women can never understand this because they don't have any testosterone).

Is there anyone who can understand where I'm coming from or I am not making any sense?
Only in relation to injustice. Including injustice requiring "going to war".

Example:
Jesus getting angry at the money changers because they were doing business in the temple.
Last edited by colliric on 02 Mar 2018 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
You gotta keep your hate pure
Fellow workers and citizens, how pure is your hatred? It’s easy to hate on openly authoritarian, loathsome, right-wing political personalities and institutions like Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Donald Trump, the Koch brothers, Paul Ryan, the Republican Party, the Heritage Foundation, the American Enterprise Institute, Breitbart News, and FOX News. There’s no serious mystery over what those malicious people and entities are about: the ever upward distribution of wealth and power.

The bigger tests are supposedly liberal and progressive personalities and institutions like Barack Obama, the Clintons, Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic Party, George Soros, the Brookings Institution, the Center for American Progress, the “Public” Broadcasting System (“P”BS), the Washington Post, MSNBC, and the New York Times.

These people and organizations are no less committed than the nation’s more transparently right-wing counterparts to the nation’s unelected deep state dictatorships of money, empire, and white-supremacy, but their allegiance and service to the nation’s reigning oppression structures and ideologies is cloaked by outwardly multicultural, liberal, and even progressive concern for the poor and nonwhite.
By Vyth
Edit: Double post. Delete.
Last edited by Vyth on 11 May 2018 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
Hatred in itself is morally neutral. It is justified when the thing that you hate is worthy of hatred. It is unjustified when the thing that you hate is good, i.e. worthy of your love or approval. What constitutes good and bad is a separate matter; but, granting that there are some things that are objectively bad or good, whatever you might believe them to be, then you are justified in hating the bad things and loving the good things.

Of course it is proper to have a strong aversion (hatred) for things that are vile, wicked, detestable. It is perfectly rational to have your subjective emotional states correspond logically to some objective reality; emotions that are rooted in nothing more than subjective feelings are senseless and irrational. Hatred (except when blind or misdirected) is nothing more the emotional state that naturally corresponds to the 'bad' quality under consideration; it is natural and proper to find it disagreeable. Becoming the hated object - embodying the 'evil' that is detestable to you and contrary to your nature - would result in your own annihilation; and surely it is reasonable to hate and oppose that which is destructive of your nature.

Thus 'hatred' is the subjective side of which 'evil' or 'bad' is the objective. Of course, if you believe that 'bad' and 'good' are nothing more than subjective opinions, then all hatred is blind and irrational, but then love would be equally senseless in such case, and those who preach against the supposed 'evils' of hatred usually have nothing but praise for love.

No, love and hatred are justified for the simple reason that they are perfectly rational emotions (except when blind or misdirected). It is irrational not to hate the bad and love the good.

It is also noteworthy that love and hatred blend into one and the same emotional state in their extreme forms. They are two sides of the same coin. I love everything that I most hate, and hate everything that I most love. But you have to love or hate to a very extreme degree to be conscious of their fundamental identity. It is only when you love or hate in moderation that they appear to be mutually exclusive emotions. You can't have love without hatred, and vice versa. All true hatred, properly understood, is a form of love.
Last edited by Vyth on 11 May 2018 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Vyth wrote:Hatred in itself is morally neutral.

Bullshit …
Hate is a consumptive passion, a disease that destroys everything it infects. Love is it's antithesis, an antidote that not only cures hatred, it restores the natural equilibrium... Love is all you need.

Zam :hippy:
Of course hate can be justified. People hated the Nazis, for the horrible things they did to the Jews, Poles and Russians/Ukrainians).

Many people hate racism. It's justified. Racism is harmful, and hurts people.

Zam wrote:Hate is a consumptive passion, a disease that destroys everything it infects.
No. Hate can also be cold and calculated. You can hate something and not be consumed by it, but it isn't necessarily going to happen.

Very often you can hate something, and over time you learn not to hate it, because then you realise you're wasting effort. I used to hate a friend who betrayed myself and another friend(in a business), ending a 25+ year friendship. Now, after some time, I don't hate him. I simply don't care to ever have such a person in my life. The days of treating that person as a brother are gone. There can be no reconciliation. The can be no "love", and it wasn't cured by love, but logic.
Decky wrote:Jesus hated capitalists.

No he hated Jewish bankers. Other Jews come in for savage attacks. Revelation aside it is the Romans that are the real heroes. The Apostles are clearly undeserving of their privileged access to Jesus, while it is the the Roman Centurion, John Wayne who first recognises Jesus' divinity. Even Pontius Pilate can be seen at one point as coming close to understanding. He is portrayed as a weak man, bullied by the Jewish leaders. The message of the trial story is pretty clear. It is only necessary for good Gentiles to do nothing, in order for evil Jews to triumph.

Remember in the original Greek, Judah, Judea and Judas are the same name. Judas is the representative for all Jews. They sold Jesus for silver as 1300 years earlier Judah / Judas sold his own brother in to slavery. No the message of the Bible was plain for even a medieval peasant to understand.
Zamuel wrote:Bullshit …
Hate is a consumptive passion, a disease that destroys everything it infects.

That's hateful hate not righteous hatred.
Sivad wrote:That's hateful hate not righteous hatred.

Ah yes … righteous hatred …

Zam :lol:
Hatred is sometimes justified.

More importantly, hatred seems to take a lot of emotional energy, clouds the mind, and does not help me accomplish my objectives.
Hatred is not the issue. How you react to your hatred is. If you react with pure emotion, it can be bad, but sometimes hatred can inspire people to look for reasonable ways to deal with problems.

Surely Martin Luther King hated racism, but it's how he confronted it that made him special.
By Verv
The OP forgets something... God was angry at abuses that killed many people or threatened to kill many people through massive destablilization.

The New Testament talks about how we cannot judge lest we be judged (Matthew 7:1). The whole basis of it is that we are forgiven and , as humans, we are not fit to judge people as only God can.

The OT is from a different perspective because there was a different reality and a different sort of series of events unfolding. It's OK if you think that both the OT & NT are wrong, and that both of them are largely fabricated. Lots of people think that. I am not even asking to debate you on that. You just have to understand that there is a fundamental difference between the two, and that the two can be resolved very cleverly, concisely, and neatly, and even if you do not like that, you cannot willfully use the OT to pervert aspects of the NT and say that oh yes, this is the sum of Christian morality and how Christians view God.

Bad takes on theology do not make persuasive arguments.
Godstud wrote:Surely Martin Luther King hated racism, but it's how he confronted it that made him special.

On reflection, I do disagree ... I think Martin Luther King understood hatred, and rejected it.

Zam ;)
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It has always been this way, @QatzelOk . Zionists[…]

...You are a supporter of the genocide against th[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]