Marriages before the age of 18: for or against? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Tainari88 wrote:Mexico needs much higher wages in all professions. Or it won't make it possible for people to raise families. Period. The PRC has higher average wages than Mexico does. The current government is working on raising wages but are getting resistance from the Right as usual in Mexico.

Mexico doesn't need higher wages, it needs less parasitism by the privileged. Mexican workers make enough to support themselves and their families. They just don't make enough to support themselves, their families, the government, and the rich, greedy, privileged, parasitic overclass.
Truth To Power wrote:Mexico doesn't need higher wages, it needs less parasitism by the privileged. Mexican workers make enough to support themselves and their families. They just don't make enough to support themselves, their families, the government, and the rich, greedy, privileged, parasitic overclass.

You are right on that. But it is very low wages TTP. I deal with young twenty somethings who already graduated from colleges in Mexico here and are good hard working kids. They make absolutely bad wages. They do. The pay is not good.

That has to change. If you average about one dollar an hour? And your expenses are about four hundred dollars USA a month? No way you can stretch $160 dollars a month to cover four hundred dollars worth of groceries, water and light and bus tickets. It is not going to happen TTP. The wage situation HAS to CHANGE.

Lawyer averages about six hundred US a month. He struggles. Architect? Averages about $465 a month. Struggles. Doctor? Engineers....etc. all with extreme low wages. The only ones making money are the elite with corruption galore and drug dealers. It is not good.
Tainari88 wrote:You are right on that. But it is very low wages TTP. I deal with young twenty somethings who already graduated from colleges in Mexico here and are good hard working kids. They make absolutely bad wages. They do. The pay is not good.

That has to change. If you average about one dollar an hour? And your expenses are about four hundred dollars USA a month? No way you can stretch $160 dollars a month to cover four hundred dollars worth of groceries, water and light and bus tickets. It is not going to happen TTP. The wage situation HAS to CHANGE.

Lawyer averages about six hundred US a month. He struggles. Architect? Averages about $465 a month. Struggles. Doctor? Engineers....etc. all with extreme low wages. The only ones making money are the elite with corruption galore and drug dealers. It is not good.

If rich, greedy, privileged parasites take half of GDP, which is close to the proportion in most countries, then that will flow through to doubled prices. Add in a tax system that focuses on the takers instead of the makers, and restore the individual right to liberty that landowning removed, and workers would have triple or more their current real discretionary purchasing power.
Truth To Power wrote:If rich, greedy, privileged parasites take half of GDP, which is close to the proportion in most countries, then that will flow through to doubled prices. Add in a tax system that focuses on the takers instead of the makers, and restore the individual right to liberty that landowning removed, and workers would have triple or more their current real discretionary purchasing power.

Mexico had a revolution long ago for just that reason. It needs another one. But? The Mexican elite are some of the most horribly selfish entrenched intransigent bloody freaks the world has ever known. And abusive. To get their grip off power and money? Riots, and violence galore for sure TTP.

I forgot to ask you TTP, are you for or against marriages before the age of 18 and the yes or no of why that is? I am curious about your opinion? Do you even believe in marriage? And would you have been ready for marriage at that age? Just curious about your answer....we are kind of off topic.
Truth To Power wrote:
They just don't make enough to support themselves, their families, the government, and the rich, greedy, privileged, parasitic overclass.

That's pretty much what Stiglitz is saying in The Price of Inequality; and how to deal with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Price-Inequality-Divided-Society-Endangers-ebook/dp/B007MKCQ30/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1VNVAZECGEZ6G&keywords=stiglitz&qid=1571679755&sprefix=stigl%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-3

Tainari88 wrote:Mexico had a revolution long ago for just that reason. It needs another one.

It needs one that actually addresses the problem.
I forgot to ask you TTP, are you for or against marriages before the age of 18 and the yes or no of why that is?

Marriage is for children, and people that young are rarely mature enough to raise children.
Do you even believe in marriage? And would you have been ready for marriage at that age?

I think marriage should be up to the people in it. Government has no business telling responsible adults whom or how many people they can marry.
Truth To Power wrote:It needs one that actually addresses the problem.

Yes it does, but it always winds up being from the Left. The Right in Mexico never wants change especially in regards to paying their fair share of taxes and having to share power with a bunch of 'indios'. They resist. And the USA is always backing up the elitist parasitical class in Mexico.

Marriage is for children, and people that young are rarely mature enough to raise children.

Their parents wind up raising their own grandchildren if some 18-year-old girl gets pregnant. That is what happened with a neighbor. She had a one night stand with a boy and got pregnant. She is going to have the child thinking it is going to be easy to raise a child. She has no clue. But Mexican families are very close and they always are there dealing with aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, neighbors, etc. None of them find out of wedlock births all that bad....because in the end? A worse crime is to have an abortion in a very Roman Catholic nation where it is illegal to abort a fetus.

I think marriage should be up to the people in it. Government has no business telling responsible adults whom or how many people they can marry.

The government doesn't agree. They don't agree with polygamous marriages. They don't agree with many aspects of things. Frankly I think people should arrange their family structures how they agree to do it. And as long as it is not some young child who doesn't have any self agency and it is between consenting adults? I agree that the government has very little to do there. As long as Dick and Jane and or Rod and Todd or Jane and Mary agree to the union? No more interference. But if they decide to get violent in a marriage and hit each other and or bicker over property the law should apply equally to all types of arrangements.
I think they should be allowed, but only in special cases. Both parents should have to consent to it, and it should require a judge to sign off on it if the child is younger than 17. If neither of the parents are willing to consent, then it should require a panel of three judges, with a special social services worker to investigate and decide whether the marriage in that situation is really appropriate. The parents (or rather the father) should still be able to exercise his veto power if the child is younger than 15 or 16 years old (15 and a half?).

The quick answer is I think there should be a moderately complex system of rules, with some checks and balances, rather than a simple binary decision-making process with an arbitrary age cut-off.

My grandmother told me all her friends got married when they were 16, but she waited until she was 18. Back then, she told me, a woman had to have the consent of her father to get married, unless she was at least 21 years old.
We've had this debate in threads in another political forum.

I am fundamentally in favor of it, in principle. But there needs to be some checks and balances to prevent abuse.

In the old days a girl had to be at least 21 to marry if she wanted to do so without her father's permission. My grandma told me most of her friends got married when they were 16, but she waited until she was 18.
Well, the world's a different place from when your grandmother was 18. At that time a woman could get married and she wouldn't be expected to engage in a career to help support the family, since a single career was sufficient. That has changed, along with perceptions about what is too young to make lifelong decisions.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]