Sheriff's Jail Log... - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By BigSteve
Tainari88 wrote:I can read anything I feel like reading. And I happen to be interested in anything Potemkin writes in. Lol.

No, you will have to tolerate comments from people whether you like it or not. It is a public forum. People can comment and even if they are off topic and so on? They can comment. :lol:

Oh, I couldn't give a shit if you comment or not.

You seem somewhat vexed by the nature of the thread, though, so I thought you might be best served by leaving it. I never suggested that you shouldn't read it. I merely suggested that you might not want to.

Your infatuation with Potemkin is noted, though...
foxdemon wrote:Some froggy critical theorist once wrote a book titled ‘Discipline and Punishment’. He didn’t put enough pictures in it though, so I read ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ instead.

Well, criminal psychology is always an interesting field I am sure.

Do you know that Green Eggs and Ham the Dr. Seuss classic is very hard to translate well.

I am thinking a lot of things like comedy and rhymes and playing with language is hard to translate into a new context.

Psychologists think shocking people has to be examined closely. Why do they do it? Hmmmm?
BigSteve wrote:Oh, I couldn't give a shit if you comment or not.

You seem somewhat vexed by the nature of the thread, though, so I thought you might be best served by leaving it. I never suggested that you shouldn't read it. I merely suggested that you might not want to.

Your infatuation with Potemkin is noted, though...

If you don't give a shit. You don't respond. That has always been my philosophy.

Infatuation? Oh well another one who presumes to know things and doesn't. It is common.
This thing about public shaming of people who have been arrested seems to be a uniquely US phenomenon.

It does not seem to have any benefit.
By BigSteve
Tainari88 wrote:If you don't give a shit. You don't respond. That has always been my philosophy.

It's my thread. I'll respond and mock anyone I choose.

Infatuation? Oh well another one who presumes to know things and doesn't. It is common.

You also seem to harbor some sick obsession with me.

Counseling might help.

Or maybe not...
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:This thing about public shaming of people who have been arrested seems to be a uniquely US phenomenon.

Well, for someone who doesn't know what he's talking about, I'm sure it would seem that way. It's been used in all societies all over the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_humiliation

It does not seem to have any benefit.

That would depend on your perspective.

Let's say someone's thinking of going to a bar, drinking a bit too much, and then driving home. If the promise of public humiliation for being popped for a DUI is enough to make him take a cab home instead, isn't it worth it?
BigSteve wrote:Well, for someone who doesn't know what he's talking about, I'm sure it would seem that way. It's been used in all societies all over the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_humiliation

Then provide an example of, let us say, Canada doing this.

That would depend on your perspective.

Let's say someone's thinking of going to a bar, drinking a bit too much, and then driving home. If the promise of public humiliation for being popped for a DUI is enough to make him take a cab home instead, isn't it worth it?

Does it actually prevent drunk driving?
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:Then provide an example of, let us say, Canada doing this.

Apologies. That should've said "in societies all over the world" as opposed to "all societies all over the world".

That notwithstanding, whether or not it's done in Canada means nothing. It's done here, and many support it...

Does it actually prevent drunk driving?

Meh. I dunno'. Maybe. Maybe not. But if there's even a chance it makes someone think twice, it's worth it...
BigSteve wrote:Apologies. That should've said "in societies all over the world" as opposed to "all societies all over the world".

That notwithstanding, whether or not it's done in Canada means nothing. It's done here, and many support it...

Fine.

Then provide an example of any other country doing it.

Meh. I dunno'. Maybe. Maybe not. But if there's even a chance it makes someone think twice, it's worth it...

So there is no evidence it actually has any benefit.
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:Fine.

Then provide an example of any other country doing it.

If you actually read the link I posted, there are examples of it having been done in many countries around the world.

Are they still doing it? I dunno', but that's not really at all relevant to the discussion...

So there is no evidence it actually has any benefit.

Oh, it certainly does.

It's a source of amusement with my morning coffee.

But it actually does have very real benefits.

Many of these people who get arrested and photographed can be connected to other crimes. In one instance; guess it was about a year ago, a guy was arrested for disorderly conduct. A woman recognized him as the man who punched her and then robbed her several weeks earlier in our historic district. The description she gave the cop at the time was pretty vague, but she contacted the Sheriff after she saw the guy's mugshot, referenced her case number, and they revoked his bond until the woman was able to see him in a line-up.

Charges were added, and he ended up pleading guilty to all charges. He's still in jail.

I would say that's beneficial...
BigSteve wrote:If you actually read the link I posted, there are examples of it having been done in many countries around the world.

Are they still doing it? I dunno', but that's not really at all relevant to the discussion...

If other countries are not doing it anymore, then I was right that this seems to be a uniquely US phenomenon.

But it actually does have very real benefits.

Many of these people who get arrested and photographed can be connected to other crimes. In one instance; guess it was about a year ago, a guy was arrested for disorderly conduct. A woman recognized him as the man who punched her and then robbed her several weeks earlier in our historic district. The description she gave the cop at the time was pretty vague, but she contacted the Sheriff after she saw the guy's mugshot, referenced her case number, and they revoked his bond until the woman was able to see him in a line-up.

Charges were added, and he ended up pleading guilty to all charges. He's still in jail.

I would say that's beneficial...

So, you have no evidence other than anecdotes that this has any benefits.

And this anecdote is questionable.
By BigSteve
Pants-of-dog wrote:If other countries are not doing it anymore, then I was right that this seems to be a uniquely US phenomenon.

Provide evidence that it doesn't take place elsewhere...

So, you have no evidence other than anecdotes that this has any benefits.

And this anecdote is questionable.

It's not questionable at all.

It's nice to see, though, that you would prefer that an attacker go free on those charges instead of the Sheriff's office embarrassing him.

Easy fix: Stay north of the border and you won't have to deal with it...
I don’t see the deterrence factor :hmm: Looks like pure barbarism from the state and voyeurism on behalf of the audience to me.
The person has clearly sustained blows to the head. He should be receiving medical attention. They can take his mugshot at the hospital lol
By Rancid
There is an entire money making racket around mugshots actually. Because mugshots are public, there are numerous 3rd party websites that will catalog these mugshots along with the crime. They are more often than not, publicly searchable as well. They will then charge the person who had the mugshot on their site hundreds of dollars to have it removed. Because there are many of these websites, you have to pay up to multiple different people. It's also a never ending problem, because another website pops up and demands money as well. Total extortion. This practice should be made illegal.

Anyway, the US is a very punitive country, they want blood for everything, so it's no surprise all of this is very public.
By Rancid
ness31 wrote:That’s disgraceful.

Everything is for sale in America. Further, we do not believe in second chances when it comes to the justice system.
BigSteve wrote:Apologies. That should've said "in societies all over the world" as opposed to "all societies all over the world".

You don't run this website.

And you are the one who insists on picking fights with people.

You should cool it with people and try actual debate.

But? Some people don't have the correct background for that. All they know are insults, mocking, fear about obsessions that don't exist, conspiracies, bad comedy with bad taste, and other unattractive qualities.

What can be said?

You don't own threads. Anyone comments. It is called public debates and topics. Not private ones.
BigSteve wrote:It's my thread. I'll respond and mock anyone I choose.

You also seem to harbor some sick obsession with me.

Counseling might help.

Or maybe not...

Hmm. I have been here 10 years.

Lol.

I am afraid the heat in the kitchen will be a problem with you.

It happens to all the people who don't like having to debate issues and not about emotional anger and so on against a perceived enemy.

Lol.

Mugshots? More like that is all the topic of conversation there was around a dinner table and zero intellectually valid analysis.
By BigSteve
Tainari88 wrote:Hmm. I have been here 10 years.

Lol.

So what?

I am afraid the heat in the kitchen will be a problem with you.

Hardly, kitten...

It happens to all the people who don't like having to debate issues and not about emotional anger and so on against a perceived enemy.

What's the dumbest fucking thing you've ever vomited up...

Mugshots? More like that is all the topic of conversation there was around a dinner table and zero intellectually valid analysis.

Hey, check it out: Not everything needs to have some deep analysis.

Sometimes shit's just funny.

I mean, you know, not to you. But to people who have a sense of humor and who don't try to impress everyone they encounter (but fail miserably)...
By ness31
I don’t think you even find that mug shot funny Big Steve.

There is a valid discussion surrounding the morality of that mugshot. It’s a shame the Sherrif in that American county can’t see that. They should be having this discussion...

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]

...Which Hamas refuses and wasn't ordered by the […]

@skinster so you confess that Hamas committed ma[…]