The fat civil rights movement - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
@ness31

I am fortunate to have a very good wife and a happy relationship. My current wife and I rarely fight and we get along well, with little drama. Very supportive of each other. My first wife was very attractive but she was ugly on the inside and so I divorced her. I learned a valuable lesson from my first marriage. My current wife is awesome and has a heart of gold. Beauty is not skin deep. Been married to her since 2009.

Narcissists generally like to "stir the pot" and manipulate situations to pit people against each other or to get people to praise them so that they get their narcissistic supply fix. Or both. They love to create drama and it seems that partially, this is what Agent Steel was trying to do here. They are also vindictive, vengeful, and very easy to offend over sometimes seemingly trivial things (case in point, Donald Trump).

They are not always easy to spot at first, but eventually, over time, those who are familiar with narcissists and their traits are able to eventually figure them out. Me, I am far from handsome. However, I wouldn't say I am ugly and if I want to, I think I can find attractive women and easily date them. But, I am a married man and dedicated to my wife. I made a commitment and a commitment is a commitment.
That’s lovely Politics Observer, I’m happy that you’ve been blessed with a good relationship after a rocky road, may it forever continue :)
Someday @Politics_Observer you will learn not to be a asshole. You wanted to insult me and you did. I never insulted you. I never insulted overweight or obese people. (Yes there is a difference.) But you want the gloves off? OK. Here goes.

You do not understand genetics very well. It is clear from your posts which are steeped in ignorance.

Life is not fair. Some people are "naturally" athletic. For them to compete in a marathon is easier. Some are not "naturally" athletic so they have to work harder to compete in a marathon. Do you have a problem with that Sport? You agree? Is it good for people to do the work required or just sit around whining about how "Bill has it better".

Some people gain weight easier than others. For them to maintain a healthy and attractive (Sorry, damn culture) body weight, like the runner, just have to work harder.

There are people who seemingly can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. BUT. When you analyze what they really do, there is more to it than a quirk of fate.

People who are morbidly obese with very few exceptions eat too goddam much. They, with few exceptions, do not exercise enough. Indeed as a person becomes more obese, exercise becomes more difficult. Some people have physical limitations that make it difficult to exercise enough. It is a self defeating system. Low self-esteem can lead to eating problems. I know you don't like it. I don't like it. But when I lost weight, and I lost a lot, I did it by not eating to goddam much. Genetics had little to do with that. When I lost weight, and I lost a lot, I did it by exercising a lot. I still do because if I stop I will likely pack the weight back on.

Now Einstein. You tell me how to lose weight while slamming back 4000 calories a day? I am waiting Mr. Scientist. Go ahead. Tell me how to do this.

Let me tell you about the young woman who leaves her office job for lunch. She hits Wendy's and snags a big burger, coke and fries lumbering out at a whopping 2290 calories. One meal. More than is recommended for an entire day for her. And not the only meal she will have that day. OK Mr. Scientist. Tell me which gene it was that made her order this abomination. Was it ignorance that made her order a meal that has absolutely no justification whatsoever? Is she a victim of advertising? Is she depressed and eating for comfort? Is she addicted to fat, sugar and salt?

Or is it cowardly people like you who are afraid to try to save her life. Cowardly physicians who do not strenuously advise her to modify her diet and get off her ample ass and exercise. Chicken shit family members who won't lovingly tell her to put down that greaseburger, eat a nice salad or maybe some fish with vegetables then get off her ass and go for a looooong walk. Fucked up parents who raise their kids on fast food and garbage, then tell the their obese 10 year old that he is "just fine the way he is and to have another Big Mac".

Genetics. Bullshit. One piece of a puzzle.

That direct enough for you? Obesity is a medical problem. It is also a societal problem. But, you know, he just can't help himself because genetics. So by the time he is 60 he is grossly obese. Can't exercise. Dick doesn't work. Can't feel his feed because of his diabetes. But the problem is not that he slammed a 4000 calorie meal at the restaurant last night then slept in. No that's not it. It must be the "Dairy Queen Gene" that did it.

As I said. Some people have to work harder to lose weight than other people do. I was one of them. But you do not honor my efforts or Godstuds. You just want to alibi bad behavior and deny people who desperately need our help; the help they need. YOU are the problem. YOU and people like YOU are the problem. Not Godstud and I. We are the good guys.
@Drlee

Honestly, we fell for the oldest trick in the book employed by narcissists. Our resident narcissist created this thread to manipulate the rest of us and get us pitted against each other to stir the pot and create drama. Plus, manipulate those of us who didn't know him too well into trying to make him look good. Narcs like to "stir the pot" and create drama, plus get their fragile egos fed. I will avoid responding to Agent Steel's threads in the future.
Now Einstein. You tell me how to lose weight while slamming back 4000 calories a day? I am waiting Mr. Scientist. Go ahead. Tell me how to do this.

Lol. You must not know of a guy named Michael Phelps. As an olympic athletic his diet was 12,000 calories per day. You'd be shocked to know that. But he remains slim and athletic because of his genes.

This old saying "you can't outwork a bad diet" is totally destroyed by cases such as this and others.

You're not a scientist either. You're arguing from personal experience. Every time you say "JUST EAT LESS, IT'S THAT SIMPLE" you are displaying ignorance.

It's not narcissistic for me to recognize that I have privileges and advantages in life and to feel good about them. And the fact that I'm now in a position to help and lift up other people proves that I am a good person, not someone causing harm.

Honestly I am proud of how moral and virtuous I am. I have a right to feel good about myself because I am driven motivated by doing good things for other people. If you or others in this thread feel the need to cut me down for trying to do good deeds it really speaks volumes about your own character and sense of virtues, and not in a good way!
Agent Steel wrote:Lol. You must not know of a guy named Michael Phelps. As an olympic athletic his diet was 12,000 calories per day. You'd be shocked to know that. But he remains slim and athletic because of his genes.
No. That's a half-truth. He does it because of his insane energy expenditure AND freak genetics. 99.999% of people cannot do what he does.
https://olympics.com/en/featured-news/m ... -training-

Agent Steel wrote:You're not a scientist either. You're arguing from personal experience. Every time you say "JUST EAT LESS, IT'S THAT SIMPLE" you are displaying ignorance.
It's a fact that if you run a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. That's simple science.

Agent Steel wrote:Honestly I am proud of how moral and virtuous I am.
The empty vessel makes the loudest noise. I suppose you are the humblest person in the whole world, too, right? :lol: You're so full of shit, your eyes are brown.
Well let's see...I make a thread advocating that we should have sympathy and compassion for people who are less fortunate, and you take issue with it and accuse me of narcissism. There really is something wrong there IMO. As I say my premise is based on a strong foundation. I rightfully feel confident and comfortable here.

You however, might want to take a better look at yourself and do some personal work. It seems you're usually quick to judge and criticize me. It really is kind of weird that the way that you respond to my posts so negatively. I never really understood this about you.
@Agent Steel You are talking out of your ass. Quote me where I have fat shamed ANYONE. Quote me or STFU.

You won't though, because it never happened, and you are a narcissistic boor, blabbing on about how great you are.

The very people who sought to defend, while attempting to make yourself feel better(the worst kind of virtue signalling) are the ones calling you out for you narcissistic BS.
@Agent Steel is the product of a culture that praises the young people for being young and attractive. Oh sure, take pity on those not so blessed to be muscled and "ripped". Ohhh, to be be in the genetic lottery to be blond and tall. For those who don't know, this person did post at least one selfie in a thread, one of those stand in front of mirror with cell phone selfies if I remember correctly. This generation is the "selfie" generation. I still find it strange.

I was raised in a family where intelligence and working hard were the focus of life, not fixating on physical appearance. While my parents encouraged me to exercise and eat healthy, it was never about looking pretty for the camera or believing that I was more attractive than others. I have a decent amount of attention when I'm out and about, I have gotten compliments about my high cheekbones and my long nose, but I don't think about the words too much. Compliments are not respect. Respect is earned and you have to work for it.

Instead of a fat civil rights movement, there should be a nationwide education campaign about exercising, sticking to small meals and cutting down on junk food. That would be helpful especially now when prices on food have skyrocketed. It is cheaper to make your own meals rather than buying prepared food every day. Like if you prepare your own coffee each morning rather than buying from Starbucks, imagine how much you could save in a month! Coffee shops usually overcharge customers. Of course, corporations like Philip Morris and Pepsi Co would go ballistic as they profit off of unhealthy product sales. So it's unlikely that there will be any such nationwide awareness campaign.

I lost weight and toned up since I started running regularly 4 years ago. New job, new lunch routine! I take 20-30 minutes during my work week to run outside. And on the weekend, I do some running too. Just using some of my lunch hour has really changed how I feel physically and mentally. I really believe that people need to act and take control of their diet and lifestyle. Your health is definitely something that you can control. You don't have to wait for the doctor or dietician to tell you what to do.
@Godstud I already did quote you where you fat shamed when you said that if someone is fat it is their fault. You can find many articles both from medical and psychological sources which put forth the opinion that obesity is not a choice.

You're the same guy who wants white males to recognize that they have certain privileges. That's you. You seem to fit your own standard of what you define as narcissism.

The very people who sought to defend, while attempting to make yourself feel better(the worst kind of virtue signalling) are the ones calling you out for you narcissistic BS.

You are completely oblivious that he was being sarcastic and was mocking your ignorant opinions.
Agent Steel wrote:@Godstud I already did quote you where you fat shamed when you said that if someone is fat it is their fault.
That's not fat shaming. It's stating a fact. You get fat by eating too much. Damned reality!!
I checked the CDC website and the page on Causes of Obesity, specifically is about eating habits and physical activity levels.

On genetics it says,

Genetic changes in human populations occur too slowly to be responsible for the obesity epidemic. Yet variants in several genes may contribute to obesity by increasing hunger and food intake. Rarely, a specific variant of a single gene (monogenic obesity) causes a clear pattern of inherited obesity within a family.

You can read the whole thing here: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/basics/causes.html

So essentially, people are mostly responsible for their level of health and fitness. The Mayo Clinic also says that people can change by exercise and maintaining a healthy diet.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20375742
It is very cruel for some here to attempt to rob Godstud, Misty and I (and others) of the joy and sense of accomplishment that we might have for all of the hard work we put into losing weight, gaining muscle, increasing our cardiovascular endurance and just in general having a more healthful life. After all. We must just have "good genes".

And therein lies the tale of modern life, particularly in America. We are so afraid of hurting someone's feelings that we will let that person suffer for the lack of training, wisdom, and encouragement.

Body acceptance. Hmmmm. You are the parent of a clinically obese 10 year old. His diet and lack of exercise being the proximate cause of his debilitating condition. So rather than try to serve him nutritious and properly sized meals we tell him that his "body type" is just fine. Knowing that he is courting diabetes (and many other conditions) which will be debilitating for a lifetime we do not, as good parents, get the little tyke out and run him around the block. We parents tell him that he is just pudgy and that some day he will lose the "baby fat" as if by magic. So I guess he does have a genetic condition. His genetic condition is bad parents. Through the luck of the genetic draw he had drawn parents who feed him poison and are too lazy to get off their own ample asses and help him have a healthy and happy life. Yup. The kid most certainly has a genetic problem.
It’s a crazy time to be alive hey. We’re living through Lizzos body acceptance age juxtaposed with the likes of the Kardashians and internet influencers that all have the same plastic surgeons.

We should really start a thread to compare which is worse for us :lol:
@MistyTiger @Godstud @ness31

What I find ironic is those who have anti-fat prejudice the worst appear to be those who have struggled with their weight either now or in the past. The real creulty that adds to the problem and not the solution are those that blame fat people for being fat when it's not so simple or black and white. So to counter the CDC source the Misty provides, I provide a government source of my own to support my position.

National Library of Medicine wrote:Although more research is needed on the root causes of weight bias, one of the causal explanations for having weight-biased attitudes is holding the belief that obesity is ‘controllable’ by individuals. Although individual choice and agency are recognized in weight management, a society that highly values individualism may greatly overstate the ‘controllability’ of obesity which sets the stage for weight bias. To some extent, body weight has a biological underpinning whereby most individuals who lose weight cannot sustain weight loss over the long term.

Furthermore, several national organizations have recognized obesity as a chronic disease, including the American Medical Association and the Canadian Medical Association, supported by research evidence showing the genetic basis and the complexity of obesity lies beyond the individual. As noted above, evidence of the prevalence and consequences of weight bias suggest that treating people disrespectfully because of their weight is harmful to their physical and mental health and it does not result in positive behavior change related to weight loss. Therefore, weight bias does not appear to be justified as a public health tactic to address obesity. All people, regardless of body size, deserve respect, equity, and dignity, and to live without stigma and discrimination.

This highlights some of the consquences of weight bias and the disciminator attitudes towards overweight people below.

National Library of Medicine wrote:There is also some evidence that adolescents categorized as ‘underweight’ and individuals with eating disorders (e.g., anorexia, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder) have experienced weight bias. Weight bias reflects, in part, that unlike other conditions, body weight is a physical characteristic that is visible. Weight bias has been associated with adverse health outcomes including anxiety, stress, depression, low self-esteem and body image issues. Though disease consequences and mortality of very high levels of excess weight have been documented, it has been proposed that the stigma associated with weight may actually be causing some of the negative health outcomes associated with excess weight rather than the excess weight itself, including increased mortality risk. There is a need to better balance these two sets of consequences when addressing weight-related issues.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6592337/

Sharadh Sampath, MD, FRCSC of British Columbia Medical Journal wrote:We can make jokes about fat people and rarely get called on it. We talk about how so-and-so has really gained a few and our friends agree. I’ve even had fellow health care professionals ask me about my “fat surgery.”

These are all examples of what we call weight bias. The negative attitudes and judgments (conscious or subconscious) toward individuals who are overweight or obese. These beliefs all too often lead to discriminatory practices. Talk about an excellent way to undermine the struggles that these people are going through. The truth is, obesity is a medical disease (not a your-fault problem) and is recognized as such by the Canadian Medical Association.

I’ve been doing bariatric surgery for several years now and I can tell you there’s nothing lazy or weak about my patients. Most of my patients have tried every diet under the sun. They’ve lost and regained the same 50 kg more times than they can count.

Always fighting against a complex interplay between gut-hormones acting on centres in the brain with social stressors such as abuse, poverty, and discrimination piling on. All these forces pull us back to our metabolic set-point, which in patients who are obese is a dangerous weight that leads to a host of other diseases—diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, osteoarthritis, and cancer to name a few.

Our society’s acceptance of weight bias explains, in part, why the wait list to enter a bariatric surgery program now stands at 28 months, with another 6 to 9 months before patients are ready for surgery! No other wait list in the province (surgical or medical) is that long, nor would this kind of a wait list be tolerated for joint replacements, hernia surgery, cataract replacement, or any other condition for that matter.

https://bcmj.org/blog/weight-bias-last- ... rimination
You’re very sweet PO in your efforts to help fat people feel less discriminated against. We all know you’re heart is in the right place :)
@ness31

It's not just about discrimination, it's about a true understanding of the cause of obesity. I have a cousin who is overweight. He too has struggled with his weight most of his life. He is just not all fat though. He is a pretty stocky guy with some natural upper body strength like myself. He got on this health kick and started running half marathons and became a vegetarian. He is not normally a vegetarian nor is he normally a half-marathon runner. He lost a ton of weight but he looked sick and very unhealthy.

Eventually, he started eating normally again and became more pressed for time in regards to running half marathons. The vegetarian diet wasn't working for him and he wasn't able to sustain such a diet. Plus, he got really busy to the point where he couldn't run half marathons. Needless to say, he put all the weight back on.

Which, I knew that was going to happen given his approach right from the get-go. I also think he was suffering from body image issues. Perhaps he was bullied for his weight when he was younger. When I was younger in junior high I punched a few guys out for giving me a hard time about my weight and got suspended from school (or they called it In School Suspension at the time where we had to go in a room and never talk to anybody we had this mean ass coach who coached sports at the school watching over us and giving us a mean look if we weren't doing our work and so we just sat there quietly doing our school work in the little covey hole they had for each of us who were trouble makers). In high school, I trained hard in cross country because I wrestled. Training at running helps your stamina in wrestling. So, I lost a lot of weight and even beat the naturally talented runners because they didn't train hard.

Hard training beats natural talent that doesn't train every time. Had some of those naturally talented runners trained hard, they would have easily beaten me in some of the cross country races I ran with them. Running also helps with weight control and losing weight too but you got to do it all the time (which making weight is a big deal in wrestling). I personally advocate exercise and eating healthy as the best approach to weight control and/or losing weight.

But you don't have to become a half marathon runner and a vegetarian to control and/or lose weight either though. Nor should you if you are doing it just for the sake of getting skinny and or losing weight. I don't think that is a good reason to become a half marathon runner and vegetarian. I am not going to be all paranoid about my body image all the time and I just don't think that's good for anybody.
Yo yo dieting doesn’t help people that need to watch their weight, they go from one extreme to the other and just fuck around with their metabolism :hmm:

Calorie counting is the way to go. Old fashioned calorie counting, keeping a diary of what you eat and adding some kind of movement in there …
There’s also the evolutionary reason why many of us struggle with weight and it’s simply because we have been introduced to calorific sources of food that the human body hasn’t adapted to, probably because it doesn’t need it. No one needs a Jumbo sized Raspberry Slurpee…except maybe on a 42 degree day and even then it’s questionable :lol:
ness31 wrote:Yo yo dieting doesn’t help people that need to watch their weight, they go from one extreme to the other and just fuck around with their metabolism :hmm:
That's a false perception. A poor diet does that. You have to change how you eat, and make it so you can maintain a healthy diet.

The vast majority of people who go on diets, lose the weight, and then once they do, they go back to eating how they used to eat, when they GAINED the weight. That has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the diet. You just need to change your diet for sustainability.

ness31 wrote:Calorie counting is the way to go. Old fashioned calorie counting, keeping a diary of what you eat and adding some kind of movement in there …
There’s also the evolutionary reason why many of us struggle with weight and it’s simply because we have been introduced to calorific sources of food that the human body hasn’t adapted to, probably because it doesn’t need it. No one needs a Jumbo sized Raspberry Slurpee…except maybe on a 42 degree day and even then it’s questionable :lol:
I lost a lot of weight and I didn't count calories. I changed the makeup of my diet and have kept pretty much the same diet over the last 5 years.

You can have that jumbo slurpee. You just can't have one every day. Once a week? Sure!

Calorie counting can be effective, but not everyone wants to do it that way. Different methods work for different people, of course.

It's not just Mapuche, there are other indigenous[…]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]

What confuses me much more is the question what t[…]

I said most. A psych prof once said that a colleg[…]