Alex Youseff on Hookup Culture - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
This insight comes from Alex Youseff.

Now more than ever we're seeing a ton of guys abstain from relationships, and abstain from dating as a whole.
And on the surface, this makes zero sense, because hookup culture is more prevalent than ever. And hookup culture is said to be exactly what guys want, right?
So what's the deal?
The deal is that this is proof that guys don't want hookup culture. And most guys are actually pushed away from dating because of it.
The harsh reality is that most women don't want to date most men.
So what ends up happening is like only like this really high standard of a select few men get to actually date, and experience hookup culture, and experience the intimacy of relationships.
And when those few guys have a plethora of opportunity in front of them, they end up being pompous. So what ends up happening is that most women only have dating experience with d(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)bags. And then the problem arises when women see that as all men; and then go to what's actually all men, and start creating this narrative that all men are trash, they're scumbags, and they only want one thing.
So then you're left with the remaining 80% of guys being told that they are the villain in a story that they're not actually even a part of.
Because of that, we're seeing this Moses-like exodus of guys fleeing the dating scene.
And the craziest part is that this promised land that they're trying to find is simply peace of mind and being told that they're not the bad guy.
Puffer Fish wrote:The harsh reality is that most women don't want to date most men.

The telling statistic is that women rank 80% of men as "below average," whereas men rank women more or less on a normal distribution with a slightly flattened mean (presumably due to different individual preferences).
So what ends up happening is like only like this really high standard of a select few men get to actually date, and experience hookup culture, and experience the intimacy of relationships.

You've heard of people in countries where they have no elections "voting with their feet" by leaving? Women are voting for polygamy with a different part of their anatomy.
And when those few guys have a plethora of opportunity in front of them, they end up being pompous. So what ends up happening is that most women only have dating experience with d(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)bags. And then the problem arises when women see that as all men; and then go to what's actually all men, and start creating this narrative that all men are trash, they're scumbags, and they only want one thing.
So then you're left with the remaining 80% of guys being told that they are the villain in a story that they're not actually even a part of.
Because of that, we're seeing this Moses-like exodus of guys fleeing the dating scene.

IDK how it's going to play out, but I suspect it won't be pretty. Or technology may enable all men to be handsome.
Truth To Power wrote:IDK how it's going to play out, but I suspect it won't be pretty. Or technology may enable all men to be handsome.

Probably declining birth rates, continued mass migration, and Muslims gradually replacing the population because they have more traditional values that involve monogamy.
Sorry to be so fatalistic.

Truth To Power wrote:The telling statistic is that women rank 80% of men as "below average,"

It is the same if you look at many primate hierarchies. Males only have the seed, and females are going to try to take what they perceive as the best seed. So one male ends up monopolizing most of the females in the pack, and then the other males are out of luck. Or if they're lucky, they're allowed to stick around the pack and have to be subservient to the alpha male, and maybe they might get to be able to impregnate one or two of the females in their lifetime.

In economic systems in which males are more important, then you are going to see more monogamy because females need a male to help provide for them and their children.

Probably Christianity, by saying you could only have one partner, brought more stability to society. But by historical standards, that has mostly been an aberration. Some primitive tribes in Africa also do that too. It could be due to something called "cultural evolution" (a form of natural selection), where cultures independently evolve, and the ones that are not functional eventually die off. (All those people in the tribe with that particular culture do not perpetuate themselves)
I doubt this is based on fact.

Now, the vast majority of my dating experience was through friends of friends, people I met in organised social gatherings (like being part of a choir or sports team) , and other ways other than "hook-up culture". So, my experience may not be relevant.

But I find it very hard to believe that 80% of you guys can not find a date.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I doubt this is based on fact.

Now, the vast majority of my dating experience was through friends of friends, people I met in organised social gatherings (like being part of a choir or sports team) , and other ways other than "hook-up culture". So, my experience may not be relevant.

But I find it very hard to believe that 80% of you guys can not find a date.

They're talking about this:

https://usustatesman.com/economics-of-d ... ting-apps/

It's basically a Pareto rule. But, note this is just based on Tinder and doesn't consider that people may just decide to settle down.
This just shows that relying exclusively on a sex app for all your intimacy is going to be unsuccessful for most men.

All this means is that men need to change their strategies and, for example, talk to real women in real life.

Some examples: https://twitter.com/OnlinePalEng/s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I do not have your life Godstud. I am never going[…]

He's a parasite

Trump Derangement Syndrome lives. :O