How do the Chinese see themselves? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Wellsy wrote:https://youtu.be/y87R3Lp0jd0

Wow. That was an interesting video.

It looks like China has locked itself into a vicious hate cycle with the rest of the world. The nationalism they are stoking is dangerous for the globe. All I can say is that I hope the CCP collapse happens before any sort of war gets triggered.

I knew about one insult tweet from a diplomat, but I didn't realize this was something that happened more than once.

Also, LOL @ "Japan is already maxed out" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd imagine that many of the leading governments around the world understand all of the issues noted in those videos. It almost seems like a good strategy is to just let China continue shooting itself in the foot with all of their aggressive posturing. Places like Taiwan and Hong Kong just need to hold out as much as they can.

Last, it's like they are becoming more and more like North Korea. They spend more on domestic security than military. :eek:
Rancid wrote:Wow. That was an interesting video.

It looks like China has locked itself into a vicious hate cycle with the rest of the world.

The Western world, at any rate. I dislike these types of videos that ignore the attitudes of Africa, South Asia/Southeast Asia, or South America. The video would have been improved without focusing on Europe + Korea + Japan and defining that as "the world". It's so insular, and taking these regions for granted is largely why China is making so much headway there.
Fasces wrote:
The Western world, at any rate. I dislike these types of videos that ignore the attitudes of Africa, South Asia/Southeast Asia, or South America. The video would have been improved without focusing on Europe + Korea + Japan and defining that as "the world". It's so insular, and taking these regions for granted is largely why China is making so much headway there.

I recall reading some years ago that parts of Latin America were also developing negative views of China. My memory tells me Argentina in particular experienced a significant drop in outlook on CHina.
Rancid wrote:I recall reading some years ago that parts of Latin America were also developing negative views of China. My memory tells me Argentina in particular experienced a significant drop in outlook on CHina.

It's possible, but given the deepening diplomatic and political ties between China and these parts of the world, I think videos that ignore them to talk about 'world opinion' simply miss the mark completely. China won't be liked by the parts of the world it is challenging - what a revelation! What about the other 5 billion humans? :lol:

PolyMatter made a similar mistake in his last video about the demographic crisis - he claimed there's little international interest to immigrate to China... which is true, from the Western world. African and South Asian immigration into China, however, is at all time highs. His biases affect his analysis/conclusions, that's all.
Fasces wrote:What about the other 5 billion humans?

Like the powers that came before, they would be available for exploitation I guess.

Fasces wrote:PolyMatter made a similar mistake in his last video about the demographic crisis - he claimed there's little international interest to immigrate to China... which is true, from the Western world. African and South Asian immigration into China, however, is at all time highs. His biases affect his analysis/conclusions, that's all.

I wonder how this immigration would gel with the general nationalist sentiment. Does China promote civic nationalism?
Rancid wrote:I wonder how this immigration would gel with the general nationalist sentiment. Does China promote civic nationalism?

It varies. Guangzhou has a very famous problem with race relations between local Chinese and its African community (some 100-200k). There's also some online resentment about foreign students taking spots in Chinese universities from Chinese.

In general, however, China is much more welcome toward immigrants than many East Asian or Western nations:

The Diplomat wrote:Among our nationwide sample, 33 percent of respondents answered that the number of foreign migrants in China should further increase, versus 25 percent who answered that it should decrease by a little or a lot and 42 percent who preferred the status quo. Compared internationally, these figures suggest relatively low levels of anti-immigration sentiment. In Japan, a country that like China has no tradition of immigration, 23 percent of a national sample supported an increase in migrants, while in Eastern Europe, where immigration levels are generally low as well, a majority, when polled, wanted a decrease in immigration.

On the effect of foreign migrants on the country’s development, just over half of our respondents answered that they think immigration benefits China’s development. This outcome fits with that of a 2018 Pew survey of 18 countries around the world, from the U.K. to Russia, in which 56 percent of respondents on average in all countries responded that immigrants made their country stronger. Compared to those countries, however, in China much fewer (9 percent vs. 38 percent in the Pew survey) respondents consider immigrants are a burden. This may reflect the influence of official discourses crediting the role of foreign expertise and internationalization in the country’s development.

https://thediplomat.com/2020/12/chinese ... ded-views/
Rancid wrote:
I also wonder what is the path to citizenship.

I think it used to be possible, but doing it now would be crazy. Even if they allowed it, which I doubt.

There was a guy that lived in China for several years, he was originally from SA. He did videos on life in China, and you can learn a lot from them.

late wrote:There was a guy that lived in China for several years, he was originally from SA. He did videos on life in China, and you can learn a lot from them.

His later videos are very negative. What did he expect given his job? Sure, China turned more liberal for a while, so I guess he was fooled by that.

I found the story of this guy from Ghana hilarious:

late wrote:I think it used to be possible, but doing it now would be crazy. Even if they allowed it, which I doubt.

There was a guy that lived in China for several years, he was originally from SA. He did videos on life in China, and you can learn a lot from them.

The serpent used to (unironically) complain about dancing Chinese grandmas. His and cmilks motorbike import business got done for tax evasion. They also produced travel series in china sold it on amazon without reporting their income. They are seething because they have no way of moving their assets and money out of the country now.

I should know I watched his channel for years, and bought his travel series. His 180 about-face was instant, if genuine that stuff creeps in, his was one crime away from chinah bad. You can learn how to be a crook like them. Now they are using green screen footage agitating over China's rapid successes in multiple sectors and raking in the big falun gong bux. Just another web in the china uncensored youtube network. It is a real lesson in disingenuous charlatanism and US propaganda running rampant across western media.

There are many channels that do it properly, see asian boss, walk east or better yet when covid restrictions are lifted go visit the country for yourself and ask the chinese, many younger ones in the east coast speak english.
Igor Antunov wrote:
The serpent used to (unironically) complain about dancing Chinese grandmas. His and cmilks motorbike import business got done for tax evasion. They also produced travel series in china sold it on amazon without reporting their income. They are seething because they have no way of moving their assets and money out of the country now.

I should know I watched his channel for years, and bought his travel series. His 180 about-face was instant, if genuine that stuff creeps in, his was one crime away from chinah bad. You can learn how to be a crook like them. Now they are using green screen footage agitating over China's rapid successes in multiple sectors and raking in the big falun gong bux. Just another web in the china uncensored youtube network. It is a real lesson in disingenuous charlatanism and US propaganda running rampant across western media.

There are many channels that do it properly, see asian boss, walk east or better yet when covid restrictions are lifted go visit the country for yourself and ask the chinese, many younger ones in the east coast speak english.

My take is you're too hard on him. In any case, all I am interested in is his older videos that talk about life in China. They explained a lot that I had not seen elsewhere. I really liked the one about weddings.

Which I like a lot better than Asian Boss. Asian Boss would be great for beginners, but I've known most of that for decades. I also notice they linked to a few serpentza videos.

I'll look at the others later, gotta get the groceries.
late wrote:I think it used to be possible, but doing it now would be crazy. Even if they allowed it, which I doubt.

China has recently further eased immigration standards. They have a special category of expedited immigration (including citizenship) for foreigners with special talents.

There are many foreigners in China. Many who have lived there for a long time.

I lived in China for 2 years and East Asia for a decade.

This is just one dude here. There are many people in China and many foreigners. You know what the value of anecdotes are, do you not?
late wrote:My take is you're too hard on him. In any case, all I am interested in is his older videos that talk about life in China. They explained a lot that I had not seen elsewhere. I really liked the one about weddings.

Which I like a lot better than Asian Boss. Asian Boss would be great for beginners, but I've known most of that for decades. I also notice they linked to a few serpentza videos.

I'll look at the others later, gotta get the groceries.

A Chinese wedding. It is like this. You are brought way more food than you can eat, the food being the finest in Chinese cookery you are likely to have anywhere. The setting is a large banquet hall full of people sitting around big tables, drinking, smoking, and eating, for hours and hours.
Crantag wrote:
This is just one dude here.

Two dudes, and...

"But in January 2020, nearly a year prior to AmCham’s survey, The Economist published an article titled “Don’t be fooled by the trade deal between America and China: The planet’s biggest break-up is under way…”. The Economist noted that “the world’s most important relationship is at its most perilous juncture since before Richard Nixon and Mao Zedong re-established links five decades ago,” and that “[e]ach side is planning for a disengagement…”.

In September 2020, Prince Ghosh wrote in Forbes that “[a] mixture of longstanding issues…such as high tariffs, Covid-19 and increased geopolitical tensions have resulted in a mass exodus from Chinese manufacturing, and triggered the start of the downfall of the country’s manufacturing dominance.”
https://www.arabianbusiness.com/461839-yes-manufacturing-really-is-leaving-china-authorities-are-scrambling-to-slow-down-the-exodus

"Among their many reasons for leaving China is expat depression. Back in 2018, the number of foreigners in Nanjing stood at a tad less than 19,000, according to data from the Exit and Entry Administration Department of Nanjing Public Security Bureau. Today, the expat population is closer to 16,000."
https://www.thenanjinger.com/news/foreigners-in-the-news/expat-depression-significant-driver-in-departure-from-china/

"James Palmer, a British editor at US news magazine Foreign Policy – who spent more than 10 years living in China – said the situation was not looking good for foreigners in the country.

“I think it’s going to be really bad on multiple levels,” he said.

“The everyday frustrations around visas will sharply increase; you can expect much more paperwork, fewer loopholes.”

He said he also expected anti-foreigner sentiment to rise, saying Chinese people might become more wary of outsiders."
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3088853/foreigners-china-worry-about-their-future-beijing-washington

Looks like the honeymoon is over.
late wrote:Two dudes, and...

"But in January 2020, nearly a year prior to AmCham’s survey, The Economist published an article titled “Don’t be fooled by the trade deal between America and China: The planet’s biggest break-up is under way…”. The Economist noted that “the world’s most important relationship is at its most perilous juncture since before Richard Nixon and Mao Zedong re-established links five decades ago,” and that “[e]ach side is planning for a disengagement…”.

In September 2020, Prince Ghosh wrote in Forbes that “[a] mixture of longstanding issues…such as high tariffs, Covid-19 and increased geopolitical tensions have resulted in a mass exodus from Chinese manufacturing, and triggered the start of the downfall of the country’s manufacturing dominance.”
https://www.arabianbusiness.com/461839-yes-manufacturing-really-is-leaving-china-authorities-are-scrambling-to-slow-down-the-exodus

"Among their many reasons for leaving China is expat depression. Back in 2018, the number of foreigners in Nanjing stood at a tad less than 19,000, according to data from the Exit and Entry Administration Department of Nanjing Public Security Bureau. Today, the expat population is closer to 16,000."
https://www.thenanjinger.com/news/foreigners-in-the-news/expat-depression-significant-driver-in-departure-from-china/

"James Palmer, a British editor at US news magazine Foreign Policy – who spent more than 10 years living in China – said the situation was not looking good for foreigners in the country.

“I think it’s going to be really bad on multiple levels,” he said.

“The everyday frustrations around visas will sharply increase; you can expect much more paperwork, fewer loopholes.”

He said he also expected anti-foreigner sentiment to rise, saying Chinese people might become more wary of outsiders."
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3088853/foreigners-china-worry-about-their-future-beijing-washington

Looks like the honeymoon is over.

Sounds like a bunch of pansies bitching to me.

Red tape and bureaucracy is an everyday fact of life in China.

You gotta fake it to make it there sometimes. ;) ;)

I never engaged in true corruption or anything personally, but.. that's China.

It is depressing sometimes to live in a foreign country.

None of this shit you wrote is anything new.

You can often go sit in a bar in China and run into a Chinese business man who's talking about his company's new operations in Southeast Asia or Bangladesh, etc. It has a lot to do with the Trump tariffs, but it also has to do with structural factors, such as rising incomes in China making China less competitive, relative to still poorer countries, and in some cases partially interrelated labor shortages, etc.

China is still humming, don't fool yourself. The amount of economic activity going on in any random city you happen to touch down in is quite bewildering.

Lol, expat depression. They call that shit 'First World Problems' in some circles.

China does offer many cures for depression, if you know where to look or are keened in on what you are looking for. Whatever that may happen to be. (China is an amazing country, in many many ways.)
These grifters can no longer grift on the basis of their european in east asia novelty alone anymore due to rapidly rising standards of living, so naturally all the grifters are leaving china and coming to grift on youtube with sponsorships from certain interests groups that can capitalize on their supposed familiarity with the newly designated evil empire. It's all according to script and it's pathetic. Literal bottom feeders.
late wrote:People leaving is new, excuses are not...

You seem to have a lot of esteem for the views of people, based on said people having lived in China.

All the stuff you said sounded very typical and familiar to me, as one who lived in China.

There's a common 'Chinglish' phrase. 'That's China.'
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]

I would bet you have very strong feelings about DE[…]

@Rugoz A compromise with Putin is impossibl[…]