China is winning the AI race - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
https://www.newsweek.com/china-winning- ... on-1564169

https://www.newsweek.com/robots-china-a ... ord-781836

China, in part due to stolen tech IP from around the world over the last 3 decades, including the US, is leading the AI race.

There is nothing more important than AI for our economies or national security. AI will increasingly be used in manufacturing (automation), health care, transportation (driverless vehicles), military, cybersecurity, research, arts/entertainment, and every other facet of society.

The country who leads in AI will lead the world. China has been pushing hard to dominate in this area and it's paying off for them.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/1-in-5- ... -cnbc.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... est-threat
Didn't we just do a thread on the AI race?

My impression, and it's admittedly shaky because it's not something that interests me, is that while China is gaining fast, it hasn't caught up on the research end. But that it was doing great with applications.
China has a major advantage in this field because its technology provider infrastructure is so unified and the user pool is so large couipled with the fact that apps are so all encompassing and centralized. Integration is the norm. 1.2 billion Chinese spend an average of 3-4 hours every day on wechat for example, that's far more than the rest of the planet spends on any one service combined. Wechat can pay your water bill, order you lunch, a taxi, an airline ticket, transfer your money between bank accounts, pay for something anywhere at any time, send a loved one a message or video, you can hold a conference over it, you can donate money to a charity, sign up for classes at a school, use it on a facial recognition vending machine, etc etc the list is endless.

And they all coordinate their incoming data in state run centralized datacenters. This leads to a massive amount of iteration and deep learning for their search engines and payment system goods/advert recommendations. This leads to faster AI development. The only coordination that occurs between apple, facebook google and twitter is the government mandated surveillance regimes (for different countries) that demands access to specific user segments and the advertising data they sell to Indian and Chinese firms.

So no, nothing to do with stolen tech. Everything to do with putting such technologies to use on a much greater scale and centralizing the ensuing resource called user activity. Tik Tok is so valuable because its mainland chinese branch Douyin has 800 million users which over the course of 3-4 years trained the recommendation algorithms far beyond anything instagram, facebook or twitter could replicate in 20 years.
That sounds awful Igor.

So what happens if you’re not ‘integrated’? You’re locked out essentially.
ness31 wrote:That sounds awful Igor.

So what happens if you’re not ‘integrated’? You’re locked out essentially.

Why wouldn't you be integrated if in an urban center? All you need is a phone and a bank account. You can live off the land, sure. Plenty of villages that still grow their own food for that. Probably more viable than doing so in the west as solar panels and batteries are much cheaper.
Igor Antunov wrote:Why wouldn't you be integrated if in an urban center? All you need is a phone and a bank account. You can live off the land, sure. Plenty of villages that still grow their own food for that. Probably more viable than doing so in the west as solar panels and batteries are much cheaper.

“All you need is a phone and a bank account” .

Look, I’m not in any way anti technology, but I am conservative, and right now I find myself being denied certain services because I refuse to hand my life over to anyone and everyone. Nothing wrong with aiming for integration so long as it doesn’t lock people out. Which it does.
If you're afraid you will be locked out of your social media, lose your job, or be arrested after an unsavory online post that might have offended someone somewhere, then oh I don't know...move out of the west. This occurs more in the west. Stop relying on CIA fronts like RFA and the epoch times for your news about muh chynah.
Igor Antunov wrote:If you're afraid you will be locked out of your social media, lose your job, or be arrested after an unsavory online post that might have offended someone somewhere, then oh I don't know...move out of the west. This occurs more in the west. Stop relying on CIA fronts like RFA and the epoch times for your news about muh chynah.

Igor. I’ve just told you that I am being denied services because I don’t want to hand over a photo, personal and banking details. This is real. It’s already happening. It’s got nothing to do with Chyna or The West, and everything to do with dumb ass populations who don’t care about their own or anyone else’s privacy.
Obviously the service in question needs to validate your identity. If it's worthwhile to you, hand it over. If Facebook is asking you to validate your identity to recover your account...bail. It's not worth the trade. Some initiative is required. Employ initiative.
Igor Antunov wrote:Obviously the service in question needs to validate your identity. If it's worthwhile to you, hand it over. If Facebook is asking you to validate your identity to recover your account...bail. It's not worth the trade. Some initiative is required. Employ initiative.

Humans don’t have such issues validating identity.

Massive. AI. Fail.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]