The Taiwan Policy Act - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By late
"As China becomes increasingly fixated on its demographic destiny, it, too, might become more dangerous. If intractable population trends indicate that China is at its geopolitical apogee, it might attempt to leap at Taiwan through a closing window of opportunity.

The Taiwan Policy act would, inter alia, designate Taiwan as a “major non-NATO ally,” authorize $6.5 billion over four years in security assistance to prepare for various threats (invasion, blockade, cyberattacks), authorize a War Reserve Stockpile (prepositioned munitions and other vital supplies), prevent restrictions on bilateral relations between U.S. officials and their Taiwan counterparts, and elevate Taiwan’s status in international institutions.

The TPA also would mandate changing the U.S. government’s vocabulary pertaining to Taiwan, changes that might seem trivial to Americans, but would not seem so to Beijing: ending the practice of referring to Taiwan’s government as the “Taiwan authorities,” changing the language used to describe Taiwan’s diplomatic presence in Washington from “Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office” to “Taiwan Representative Office.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... c-decline/

Needless to say, we would want to position a sizeable force off Taiwan before debate on the bill starts. This is highly controversial, it's almost daring China to attack.

My 2 cents is that this will never get out of committee.

But there is a solid argument to be made for it. But, like Ukraine, it runs a nontrivial risk of conflict.

What say you?
I say sign a defense pact with Taiwan. Fuck the CCP.

Xi can suck a big black rubber dick and have a threesome with Putin and that fuckwit Kim Jung Un(sp?)

Fuck all authoritarian shit heads the planet over, and most of all, fuck all the pofo dick sucking cuck big dick energy bitches that support that bullshit. All of you pussy ass weasel bitches know exactly who you are. Fuck you, and fuck your mom too. Come mierdas, singao, sa pingo hijo de la gran putas..

Also, fuck all of you stupid piece of shit MAGA fuck head, and you bitch ass Trump. All of you mother fuckers should be merc'd, bunch of fucking traitors.
By Mike12
Born poor in the wake of the Korean War, Lee Myung-Bak was destined for a live of poverty. But through intelligence and self-determination, he excelled in school, putting himself through college hauling garbage six times a day to pay for tuition. He then took a low-level job at Hyundai, then an organization of about 90 people. Through a relentless work ethic and inability to compromise his beliefs, he rose to the role of CEO and found himself on a mission not just to expand the Hyundai corporation, but to grow South Korea from a nation of poverty to a G20 economy.

The Uncharted Path is the story of a man and nation driven to greatness by a conviction to liberty, commerce, and the belief that at the root of every success lies extreme perseverance and uncompromising principles. These principles and lessons would lead not only to success in business, but developed a refreshing and unique perspective on the state of our globalizing world, and how nations and business must operate together to improve the lives of people everywhere.
Uncharted Path: The Autobiography of Lee Myung-Bak

By Fasces
Hopefully it never gets out of committee, but I'm sure the server warmongers will come up with ways to say we may as well formalize American hegemonic imperialism, get it all out in the open.
By late
Rugoz wrote:
Would be nice to see but I don't think Taiwan is really worth it for the US.

TSMC is the top dog in computer chips. We wouldn't let China get it's hands on it. The economic damage from just that would be considerable.

Think of this as being like the discussion before we got involved supporting Ukraine, is this more like WW1, or WW2?
By Mike12
late wrote:TSMC is the top dog in computer chips. We wouldn't let China get it's hands on it. The economic damage from just that would be considerable.

Think of this as being like the discussion before we got involved supporting Ukraine, is this more like WW1, or WW2?

Taiwanese computer chips? thats a surprising interpretation.
The TSMC thing is true, but it's more of a problem for the rest of the world than the US (and thus, the US's stance isn't really just about technology and chips as many like to frame it).

Most of the global semiconductor revenue still comes from US/Europe/Japan/South Korea, even though more chip volume comes from Taiwan. That is to say, the higher end, higher tech, higher dollar chips still come from non-Taiwan (and non-China) nations. Even though TSMC recently has had a more advanced manufacturing capability, other countries/companies (intel/samsung in particular but others too) have closed that gap dramatically in just the last couple of years. They've closed it enough that this gap isn't a big concern at the moment (and the lead could be regained as well in the next couple of years). Something that is massively overlooked is the fact that the leader in all of the silicon processing machines is European, the next up in silicon processing machine develop are all American companies. Without those companies, the lead TSMC has enjoyed is not possible. If China takes Taiwan, that pipeline of advanced machinery is gone for China.

If China took over Taiwan, it would not automatically mean they would assume all of that TSMC volume. Those advanced TSMC factories would effectively die. Three reasons: 1. Lack of access to advance silicon processing machines, 2. It's becoming clear that doing business with tyrant nations is in the long term, not good (orders will not be renewed). 3. the Chinese do not know how to run and maintain advanced fabs, but more importantly, they do not have the culture to develop and maintain world leading fabs. Contrary to popular belief, China's semi-conductor industry has struggled hard to catch up to the west (and Japan/Korea). Sure they quickly caught up say 90%, but that last 10% is always the hardest and most important/significant. It's not clear if they could ever really close that last 10% (or whatever the number is). Main reason being, they simply aren't innovative enough. They are good at copying and catching up, but to take the global lead, that's not good enough. They do not have the culture for it. We're talking about a culture that has people disinfecting airport run ways :lol:. It's a culture, where a low level manager does not have the autonomy to say "Hey, that's stupid, stop disinfecting an airport tarmac" for fear of punishment from above. This sort of culture simply doesn't produce high tech. This culture is permeated even in Chinese private business (I see it first hand where I have to wait 2 weeks for low level people to get approval from above for the simplest, and dumbest of things, working with anyone else on the planet, it takes a half day).

In short, China is actually VERY inefficient with it's money when it comes to tech investment. The only reason it's not apparent is that they just have so much fucking money, but once their economy slows, they will have a big problem. I don't think the Chinese culture will allow for them to figure out how to gain back efficiency per dollar investment in tech (that's my speculation).

Also, in terms of dollar and high tech chips, China is at the bottom. They basically produce the throw away low margin lower tech chips. The kind of chips that cost pennies or sometimes less than a penny to buy. Where as US/Korea/Japan/EU produce chips that literally cost $1000+ per chip (i.e. cutting edge, high tech stuff) that also enjoys the highest margins (which enables further research and development). TSMC, is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes (mid-tier chips that go into high end consumer electronics).

My source? I work in the semi-conductor industry. For the last 10 years I've heard "China will take the lead in semis within 2 years".... They simply can't figure it out.

Anyway, would be nice if this does come out of committee. Fuck the CCP. Xi can eat a dick.

My end thesis for China is that their top-down culture is their biggest weakness in the long term. From domestic affairs, to economic affairs, to geopolitical affairs. That is not to say we should not worry about them; we should certainly be ready for conflict with China, but China itself is it's own worst enemy in the long term. CCP is incapable of changing this culture because their power and legitimacy is completely predicated on this top-down structure. Couple that with the strong face saving culture and you end up with policies that are fucking ridiculous and inefficient (like disinfecting sidewalks and bushes, even though we know surface transmission of COVID is near 0... imagine doing stupid shit like this in tech...yes, they do it).
By Mike12
microchips check out on wikipedia and taiwan. national unity is our strength. one japan, one society. forward together. I cn't find harassment boss? Unzips-his-pants-inappropriately tagomi san. THere's the bonnie blue banner and its got the stars , hurrah they got some states hurrah. hey ronald reagan.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we[…]

You should put the full quote I am of the o[…]

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]