Are Religious People Happier? If so, why? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Questions and research help requests. Student surveys may be posted here.
To be more serious though, I think a lot of religious people feel they have no accountability in their life. They think they're all going to die and go to a better place and that the world is going to end it anyways, so they treat it like crap. All they have to do is unthinkingly follow writings from hundreds of years ago. :|
Religious people are only happy because they believe they will go to Heaven when they die. When they die and find there is nothing, they'd get pretty pissed off.
Internet forums may be a place for debate, at best. For a survey, no. Any information for surveys will be undoubtedly biased. At the very least that should be mentioned.

Humans have a innate affinity for (social) groups. Religion serves this role, thus it makes people happy. There are already actual studies that suggest this, as do studies that suggest other social groups boost self esteem which correlates with happiness.

Again I can't imagine why you would ask a internet forum unless you are studying the forum itself. In any other case it is gross negligence. ALL internet surveys are FUBAR. If it is for school (bachelors or below) fine but you should include a disclaimer.

And obviously I will not take your survey as I don't think that it will reflect anything besides the communities you give it too.
Welcome. I am religious and go through life with a grin on my face when I am not abusing libertarians which makes be giggle like a school girl.

Done with the survey. Good luck! Don't run away. Post.
This discussion reminds me of a quote from Geroge Bernard Shaw; "The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
I think religious people are happier, but I think the reason is a sense of purpose both for themselves and the universe. For a religious person, for example a devout Jew or Muslim, the universe exists because God made it. The human being exists because God put them there. The purpose of the human is to do what God put them there to do. So at every moment, even if things are bad, the religious person is in a sacred universe that exists to bring glory to God. He knows that everything that happens will eventually work out to be God's plan all along.

Athiests, excepting maybe conspiracy theorists, have no such ideas. They live in an accidental world that exists for no reason whatsoever. They live in that universe because their parents had sex, and their purpose is basicly nonexistant. Things in that universe occur roughly randomly, and there's no reason to think that the bad things that happen now are going to work out to any future benefit to anyone.
I think atheists are happier. Why? It's all about morals and values. Despite religion's positive effect on people's lives (i.e. no smoking, drugs, other bad stuff) does sin actually come back to hurt, and I mean hurt bad enough to make the sin not worth it? The exception would be how people influence each other, it's just not worth it if you're going to offend a parent/spouse. I also can't imagine someone without a first-world money purse wasting it on non-necessities and getting away with it either.

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]