Math Help Thread - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Questions and research help requests. Student surveys may be posted here.
By Wolfman
For a sample of n = 45, find the probability of a sample mean being greater then 551 if μ is 550 and σ is 3.7.

My problem is mainly that I don;t know what formula I need to be using. For whatever it matters, the book claims the answer is 0.0351.
The sample mean has a Normal distribution - in your case N(550, 3.7) or N(550, 3.7^2) depending on which formula your class uses. You need to standardise the sample mean and look up the probability in the Normal table.
By Nets
For a sample of n = 45, find the probability of a sample mean being greater then 551 if μ is 550 and σ is 3.7.

What is the underlying distribution from which the sample is drawn?
By Nets
Well then who knows!

The sample mean is not generally normally distributed, but I guess for n = 45 it is an okay approximation. Listen to Kaiser.
Nets wrote:The sample mean is not generally normally distributed

True. My bad for not mentioning that it's an approximation.

Wolfman wrote:I finished the rest of the section and that problem didn't come up again and it wasn't on the test, so I'm thinking I'm just going to ignore it.

What class/subject are you taking? That's actually a pretty simple problem and it's probably a good idea to understand it.
Maybe my earlier post wasn't too helpful.

The standardised sample mean is

If you look up 1.81 (the z-value) in the Normal table you find the probability that the sample mean is less than 551 which turns out to be 0.9649. Since you need the probability that the sample mean is greater than 551 - i.e. the complement - you have to subtract the result from 1.

1 - 0.9649 = 0.0351.
Well, I'm a bit late for this, but your mistake was to use the level of confidence given to you - i.e. C=99% - as your alpha. When you calculate and look up the chi^2 variable you have to use alpha=0.01 instead of C=.99. Also, if I remember correctly, the chi^2 distribution is not symmetric and you therefore cannot simply use the two formulas (1-alpha)/2 and (1+alpha)/2.

Penn State has a very good statistics intro website here. The STAT415 class (bottom left of the page) goes through estimation and hypothesis testing in detail and offers good explanations and examples if you are interested.
By Wolfman
Well, I'm a bit late for this, but your mistake was to use the level of confidence given to you - i.e. C=99% - as your alpha. When you calculate and look up the chi^2 variable you have to use alpha=0.01 instead of C=.99. Also, if I remember correctly, the chi^2 distribution is not symmetric and you therefore cannot simply use the two formulas (1-alpha)/2 and (1+alpha)/2.

Thanks. Sadly, I realized what I was doing wrong on Thursday in class, a week after the test on chi^2

Penn State has a very good statistics intro website here. The STAT415 class (bottom left of the page) goes through estimation and hypothesis testing in detail and offers good explanations and examples if you are interested.

I think the Penn State online classes were one of the ones posted in the Free Learning Resources section. I might go through it, thanks.
Wolfman wrote:Thanks. Sadly, I realized what I was doing wrong on Thursday in class, a week after the test on chi^2

If it's any consolation, the definition of significance levels and construction of confidence intervals seems convoluted and unintuitive to almost everybody at first. Most people memorise it, scratch their heads and forget it immediately after the test. If they ever need to do statistical testing later they generally use statistical software as a black box. I can't really fault them for that since one intro class is not enough to solidify the concepts.
^ Good luck. :)

After the initial confusion, statistics can actually be quite enjoyable. It's definitely worth the effort, in my opinion, and since data analysis is used extensively in more and more fields nowadays, you will be way ahead of the majority of students.
By Moonchild
Good luck with taking an advanced course in statistics, I just had a test in Stochastic Processes today, which is a continuation of Probability and Statistics course, and it was hell.

:knife:
By Seeker8
Found a thread for my silly questions. :D

Is: (-27)^(-1/3) = -1/3 ?
That's the answer i got by working it out but google says the answer is:
0.166666667 - 0.288675135 i (don't know what the "i" means)
but my calculator says -1/3.

Lies. Did you have difficulty understanding t[…]

Al Quds day was literally invented by the Ayatolla[…]

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

Iran's attack on the Zionist entity, a justified a[…]