Math/Econ suggestions - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Questions and research help requests. Student surveys may be posted here.
By Wolfman
I've previously talked to Nets about some college advice, and was talking to Aekos along a similar vein lately. I'm currently a BS Economics major and I'm thinking that post-college I would like to work with FEMA in rebuilding after disasters. In terms of credits (ATM) I'm a junior, but really only because I have all of the General Ed and most of the electives done. What I'm not sure of is this: Should I go for grad work, or not, and if so, PhD or MS? But, what I'm really thinking about right now is if I should even be an Econ major, or a Math major (in a previous discussion with Nets he basically said don't even bother with undergrad econ, focus on math). The thing is, if I become a math major, I have to take more courses. This is really only a problem because I recently realized my education benefits are starting to run low.

Anyways, I would appreciate some input from some of the present and former econ students. To help I'm going to include the requirements for a BS Econ major, Econ minor, and Math major, and a course description list for Econ courses, Math courses, and Stats courses

Thanks folks.

Bachelor of Science in Economics: 36 credit hours of Economics courses.

Required Courses:
ECON 2200 Principles of Economics: Micro
ECON 2220 Principles of Economics: Macro
ECON 3200 Economic Theory: Micro
ECON 3220 Economic Theory: Macro
BSAD 3160 Managerial Statistics for Business

Economics electives: Students will select a minimum of 21 credit hours from Economics Department courses, at the 3000 or 4000 level, of which at least 6 credit hours must be at 4000 level.

Cognate (related) courses: Students must take 15 credit hours in courses related to Economics.

Required Cognate Course: MATH 1930 or 1950 Calculus

Minor in Economics: 18 credit hours of Economics courses.

Required Courses:
ECON 2200 Principles of Economics: Micro
ECON 2220 Principles of Economics: Macro

Economics electives: Students will select a minimum of 12 credit hours from Economics Department courses, at the 3000 or 4000 level.

Wow, I just realized my college doesn't require Econometrics. Shit.

Bachelor of Science in Mathematics:

Required Mathematics and Computer Science Courses: 47 Hours
MATH 1950: Calc I
MATH 1960: Calc II
MATH 1970: Calc III
MATH 2050: Applied Linear Algebra
MATH 2230: Introduction to Abstract Mathematics
MATH 2350: Differential Equations
MATH/CSCI 3100: Applied Combinatorics
MATH 3230: Introduction to Analysis
MATH 4740: Introduction to Probability and Statistics I
Introduction to Analysis

3 Upper Division Mathematics Electives (courses numbered 3000 or higher) including two at the 4000 level. For recommended electives according to area of interest see below. 9 hours

Two of the Following: (Cannot include both CIST 1400 MATH 2200) 6 hours
CIST 1400: Introduction to Computer Programming
CSCI 1620: Introduction to Computer Science II
MATH 2200: Mathematical Computing I
MATH 3200: Mathematical Computing II
By Aekos
I reiterate my advice to take the stats classes.

If you are interested in grad-level econ, these two classes are a must:

3230 Introduction to Analysis
4050 Linear Algebra
4740 Introduction to Probability and Statistics I/II

And these would be very nice and give you a shot at good schools:

4230 Mathematical Analysis I/II
2350 Differential Equations

And take any prerequisites for the classes in the first group. If you have to take more econ electives, these look worthwhile:

4210 Industrial Organization
8300 Econometrics

The absence of game theory is perplexing. Judging from the course descriptions, your econ department seems to be fairly heterodox. Most good econ grad schools will be orthodox, and (whether justified or not) they will frown up hetorodox economics as less rigorous/formal/difficult. So if you are serious about grad school, I would take the second group of math classes so that you show them you can cut it.
By Wolfman
8300 Econometrics

Just saying, but this is a grad level course.

The absence of game theory is perplexing.

Math 8480 Multi-agent Systems and Game Theory (3) This course covers advanced topics in the area of coordination of distributed agent-based systems with a focus on computational aspects of game theory. The main topics covered in this course include distributed constraint satisfaction, distributed constraint optimization, and competitive and cooperative game theory.

Econ 4210 Industrial Organization (3) This course applies economic analysis to public policy issues in industrial economics. It is concerned with the strategic behavior of firms: the nature of interaction among competing firms within a game-theory framework. Among the topics covered are: discriminatory pricing, predatory conduct, product design, patent infringement, price wars, location decisions, and entry-deterrence.

Judging from the course descriptions, your econ department seems to be fairly heterodox.

Really? :eh:

Most good econ grad schools will be orthodox, and (whether justified or not) they will frown up hetorodox economics as less rigorous/formal/difficult. So if you are serious about grad school, I would take the second group of math classes so that you show them you can cut it.

Very well. Would you recommend Grad school for my area of interest, and would you recommend a Math or Econ major?

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia could[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]