Cooking Thread - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Imperial Spaghetti
Anyone want to share their best recipes? I think that every culture has something to offer in terms of nutrition and health through various spices, ways of preparing the dish, etc.

I'm preparing right now: pasta alla crudaiola... which is basically raw ingredients (tomatoes, basil, pine nuts, garlic, parmigiano reggiano and very good extra virgin olive oil), and of course boiled pasta. The basil has relaxing properties, garlic anti-viral/parassitic/bacterial, pine nuts also relaxing/sedative). The original recipe also calls for walnuts for omega 3...but I don't have them here. Mix together and voila'...good plate.

As second dish I'm making a cheese omelette. (egg, pecorino cheese, and parsley). That should even out the sedative effect of the pasta, working directly on the thyroid for stimulation.

And it'svery goood..... bon appetit everyone.
I have a recipe I think I'd like to share
Last night I made a fusion meal if you will, and Thai style Chicken Risotto. I was a bit sceptical at first, given I’m a bit of a snob about Thai food and only like traditional/authentic. And I wouldn’t have thought Thai flavours would go well with Arborio rice. But this worked quite well.

Ingredients
1 tbs peanut oil
500g – 700kg skinless chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
1 long red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 kaffir lime leaves, stems removed, finely shredded
1 1/2 cups (330g) arborio rice
1/4 cup (75g) Thai red curry paste
2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
1 cup (250ml) coconut cream
2 tbs fish sauce
200g Snow Peas
Fresh chopped coriander (aka Cilantro), fried Asian shallots (see note) and lime halves (optional), to serve

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. In batches, add the chicken and cook, turning, for 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove the chicken from the casserole and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion, chilli, garlic and half the kaffir lime leaves. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes until the onion is soft, then add the rice and curry paste and cook, stirring to coat the grains, for a further 1 minute.
4. Return the chicken to the casserole with the stock and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer, then cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from the oven (turn off oven) and stir in the coconut cream, fish sauce and beans, then cover stand for 10 minutes in turned off over with door open just a crack (this allows the Risotto to keep up the heat after you cool it down by adding the coconut cream)
5. Top risotto with coriander, fried Asian shallots and remaining kaffir lime leaves and serve with lime halves, if using.

As I said, as a bit of a snob, I make my own Red Curry Paste, and have the heat/flavours adjusted to just the way I like. I know from experience that pre-made pastes lack heat, so you can add some more chilli (also don’t de-seed the chilli).

Next time, my oh so famous :D beef carbonade
By Nattering Nabob
Bread:

twice as much flour as water...a couple teaspoons of sugar and salt...a package or two of yeast...

it comes out a little gooey this way and tends to flatten out as it rises but I don't mind...if you like your bread shapely and stiff simply add more flour when you are kneading it...it is easier to add flour to stiffen it than to add water to thin it out!

I love to chop up an onion and add it to the mix...damn, I'm making myself hungry...
By Nattering Nabob
I had a pork chop and diced it...fried it in oil...added garlic, two chicken bullion cubes, a sliced onion, and cooked until the onions were translucent...then I added a can of diced tomatoes...put it all over rice...
By Moonchild
Wouldn't call it my best recipe, but I still like it a lot.

My personal recipe, I'm usually loose with the amounts:

Shakshuka

2 eggs
1/2 onion - diced
2 medium tomatoes, preferably overripe
2-3 finely chopped garlic cloves
sweet paprika - 1 flat tablespoon
a bit of crushed chillies - can't tell you how much, add according to your tolerance
cumin - 1/2 teaspoon, you could even go for a bit less, it has a very dominant taste
olive oil - 3 table spoons, I usually go for more, with olive oil, the more the merrier

Fry the onions, once they become transparent enough, add the garlic, and up to 20 seconds later, add the tomatoes and the rest of the spices, and some salt.
Once it becomes more like a sauce, make two holes to place the yolk in, add the eggs and carefully mix the egg white with the sauce for a bit.
Place a lid on the pot until the yolk is partially cooked, some like it fully cooked, its your choice.

Eaten with bread, preferably pita(goes much better with it), and humus.

This one is a great dish, requires a bit more work, but not too hard, I'll point out that this one is not mine, its a simple recipe from an Israeli chef:

Musaka

1 1/4 kg sliced potatoes(preferabley red)
1/2 kg ground beef
1 glass of red wine
1/2 kg diced tomatoes
1 chopped onion
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
4-5 sage leaves
Olive Oil

Fry the onions in a big pot, once they're transparent, add the garlic, seconds later, add the meat, stir until the meat changes its color, add the wine, and cook until the wine almost vaporizes completely.

Add the tomatoes and salt&pepper to your taste, add the Salvia, lower the flames, and let it cook until its becomes more thick(~45 minutes).
Take a medium sized baking tray, smear some olive oil on the bottom, arrange half of the potatoes there (you can use a bit more than a half), add the sauce, pour a bit of olive oil on top, and add the rest of the potatoes, cover the tray with aluminium foil, bake in 200 degrees(Celsius) for 30 minutes, remove the foil, and bake for another 30 minutes, until the top darkens.
Last edited by Moonchild on 21 Mar 2013 22:56, edited 3 times in total.
By mikema63
Rice 2 cups water per cup of rice, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and just a sprinkle of curry.
By Nattering Nabob
in another thread BoK wrote:Stir frys are my specialty

Which reminded me...

Soy sauce, ginger/garlic, and sugar poured over stir fried onions, cabbage, and whatever other vegetables you may have...a bit of fried beef and serve the whole thing over rice...
By Decky
Eventually I gave up and just ate the chicken with HP brown sauce and it was so much better. I feel like a failure.

God damn it man you are working class, it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Do you really want to be like Goldberk? Go to Kensington and spend your time cooking and checking your stock prices and swimming in pools of Champagne.

You are working class, neeps, taties, haggis and brown sauce are things you should be proud to be eating.
By mikema63
Coat the chicken in egg before you put it in the flour and spices, then you can fry it.
By Decky
Stop it! In Britain meant is rubbed with a little salt and then cooked and is thus totally flavourless!
Last edited by Decky on 30 Mar 2013 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
By Decky
You really are a fancy gentleman aren't you?
By Decky
Mint sauce with lamb but that's after the cooking obviously.
By Decky
Of course not I'm lumpen scum, when my massive welfare cheque comes I go down to the five star restaurant and have a 5 course banquet. Tonight it's lobster.
Decky wrote:God damn it man you are working class, it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Do you really want to be like Goldberk? Go to Kensington and spend your time cooking and checking your stock prices and swimming in pools of Champagne.

You are working class, neeps, taties, haggis and brown sauce are things you should be proud to be eating.

I am a revolutionary member of the working class. That means revolution on all fronts - even culinary.

Maybe I'll try adding the spices to the brown sauce next time ...

By the way, I am partial to haggis and tatties.

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]

Based on what? On simple economics. and in t[…]