Cooking Giblets - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Figlio di Moros
I just bought some chicken livers, heart and gizzards. I've never cooked them before, don't have a working stove and don't eat any grains(so, no breading and frying them). With those restraints, anyone have a good gizzard/heart/liver recipes that can utilize a crockpot and/or a grill?
By Decky
Liver and onions is simplicity itself.

Start frying the onions, when they are nearly done put in the liver (chopped into bite sized pieces) and fry until they are done all they are done all the way through through (cut one in half and check the colour if you are not sure).

Pour some gravy on afterwards and enjoy. You can salt/ spice as you wish during cooking.
I'm well familar with liver and onions, Decky, though the gravy and precutting the liver's unnecessary, and you forgot the bacon. However, 1) I don't have means to fry anything, and 2) these are chicken livers, and gizzards. I've had chicken livers breaded and fried before, pretty good, but not something I can work with.

I'm thinking I might grill them, I've got skewers. Anyone have some suggestions for that?
By Decky
1) I don't have means to fry anything

You don't have a pan :hmm:
By jaycola
Yes, by all means grill the giblets to put a sear and some char on them before putting them in your slow cooker.

I would grill an onion, pepper and tomato too. Chop the giblets and the veg. Toss in your cooker with some herbs, thyme, rosemary, oregano or what ever you have and a bay leaf too. Add garlic powder (or fresh) and a pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon or cumin and a good bit of black pepper and some soya sauce. I'd toss in a dollop of sour cream or white yogurt and let her go. Make sure it is seasoned well.

After cooked stir in some corn or peas and a splash lemon juice to brighten it up.

Serve it on wedges of warm flat bread brushed with olive oil, sea salt. Finish it with parsley or scallions.
jaycola wrote:Yes, by all means grill the giblets to put a sear and some char on them before putting them in your slow cooker.

I would grill an onion, pepper and tomato too. Chop the giblets and the veg. Toss in your cooker with some herbs, thyme, rosemary, oregano or what ever you have and a bay leaf too. Add garlic powder (or fresh) and a pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon or cumin and a good bit of black pepper and some soya sauce. I'd toss in a dollop of sour cream or white yogurt and let her go. Make sure it is seasoned well.

After cooked stir in some corn or peas and a splash lemon juice to brighten it up.

Serve it on wedges of warm flat bread brushed with olive oil, sea salt. Finish it with parsley or scallions.

Day late and a dollar short; put them in the slow cooker w/ salt and pepper. Sans the bread, corn, and peas, and that doesn't sound like a bad recipe for next time, though. :cheers:

Decky wrote:You don't have a pan :hmm:

Stovetop's not working... :eh:
By Kon
Jaycola you consistently give bad cooking advice.

Stews should be mounted with sour cream at the end of cooking, not the beginning.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]