Bread. - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Figlio di Moros
The Amish should have a school on baking, and other stuff.
By MissTNT
I thought the Amish don't use electricity or at least keep it to an absolute minimum. I remember when we visited with an Amish lady in Pennsylvania, she said that there was only one phone in the community only to be used in absolute emergencies and they wouldn't have a problem with electricity being used at a place like the Farmer's Market, but that they didn't want to let it into their own homes.
By Demosthenes
The ClockworkRat wrote:What is the proofer?

You little scamp you didn't even read all my posts!

http://www.kitchenkneads.com/catalog/product/507

Figlio di Moros wrote:The Amish should have a school on baking, and other stuff.

I know, right? They have all these young girls working at the bakery, at the shop where I buy my grain, and I always ask them for tips but they always seem a little hesitant to talk to me. I've been taking the baby in with me to soften them up a little... and that's where I got the tips for the lecithin, the dough conditioner, and the gluten.

I'm amazed at their technique, and this is what also led me to conclude that my issues are in the bread not rising properly.

MissTNT wrote:I thought the Amish don't use electricity or at least keep it to an absolute minimum. I remember when we visited with an Amish lady in Pennsylvania, she said that there was only one phone in the community only to be used in absolute emergencies and they wouldn't have a problem with electricity being used at a place like the Farmer's Market, but that they didn't want to let it into their own homes.

There are as many sects (apparently, who knew?) as any other religion. Out here they tend to be more progressive. We see them at Wal-Mart, hospitals, and once-in-awhile even other grocery stores. I'm not sure how they decide what is ok, and It doesn't seem like my place to ask. The owners of the store we frequent have a house nearby, and it appears very modern. I assume it has electric. Next time I'm up there I'll try and take pics to show you guys.
By Figlio di Moros
Those might be Mennonites or another demonination, Demos. The Amish have picked up some technology, but nothing on that level. Up here, for instance, you'll see them use folding tables/chairs and warmers at local fairs, but they'll come and go still in buggies.
By Demosthenes
Figlio di Moros wrote:Those might be Mennonites

Hmmm... this is possible, although the people around here literally call the place "The Amish Store". Also they sell those little pre-fab sheds too... though in fairness, I guess anyone can do that.
By Demosthenes
The ClockworkRat wrote:Nahhhhh... you don't need to buy that thing.

Have you baked with real whole grains before?
By Figlio di Moros
Demosthenes wrote:Those might be Mennonites

Hmmm... this is possible, although the people around here literally call the place "The Amish Store". Also they sell those little pre-fab sheds too... though in fairness, I guess anyone can do that.

On second thought, it's officially impossible to know anything about the Amish anymore. All preconcieved notions, hell, even well sourced information about their beliefs, is officially null and void-

[youtube]y6tizOZ7cis[/youtube]
By redcarpet
I eat Turkish bread regularly.
Middle-Easterners are great with most foods ;)
By Thunderhawk
Why can't Demo turn the oven on to 120 (its lowest setting), let it warm up and then turn if off. Open the oven door to bleed off most of the heat, then put the dough into the oven and close the door to preserve what is left of the heat?
By Kon
Yo demos, it sounds like your problem is an issue with the fineness of your milled product, or a density issue caused by mixing grains. If you are using a lot of rye you will always have issues with density, same will be true of other flours. Honestly don't think a proofer will help you to achieve consistency because it may be an issue with either your grain supply/mix. I'm guessing you are using the same yeast that you had success with in the past with premilled unbleached flour. Every time I have used milled grains it has been supplemented using a high gluten flour, if this isn't working for you I think it's probably a ratio issue and not something to do with proofing.

If you have any questions about sourdough I have a bit more expertise in that.

What kind of bread do you bake our curiosity? As in, what type of pan do you use, do you add milk/sugar ect.

Nabob, I prefer a 5/3 ratio for my bread dough.
By Kon
More advice demo. You have an issue of either density which can be resolved by changing your mix or a failure to ferment properly. A generous secondary fermentation will always make lighter bread.

Make sure to use hard wheats which have more gluten bonds.

There are two methods of ensuring a quality rise that I think may be helpful for you, the proofer being a kind of superstitious waste of money for a home baker (ever notice how bread will even continue to ferment in your fridge?, yeah, fuck the poofer)and an expediency tool for pro bakers.

1. Use a pre-ferment. Make a slightly yeasted part of the dough before the process begins, and mix it with some other ingredient and more yeast later on after it has had time to do it thing

2. this is kind of a reversed lazy man version. Make your dough slacker than usual, the sift a cup or something of your finest hard wheat flour with a leavening agent like baking powder or soda, not a yeast (the slack dough should be rising and yeasted). This is pretty much guaranteed to poof that shit up, sifting is especially essential with your home milled flour.
By Demosthenes
Kon- Thanks for those tips. I have found that the proofer does help quite a bit but the biggest issue has been soaking the whole grain flour. I have ended up having modest to medium success by simply wetting the flour overnight and (say four-to-five of the 6 or so cups in the double loaf recipe I use) and this seems to help immensely.

However, I still can't seem to make buns, either hamburger or hot dog, so I will try these options! Thanks!

I got your pm awhile back and didn't mean to blow you off but I was out of town at the time, and forgot about it when I came back. Sorry!
By Kon
What you are doing is an intense hydrolyzation. A solution of 1 cup flour 1 cup water with 4-5 grams of yeast left overnight is a good addition to any dough and will make it much fluffier, the same will be the case if you increase your dough's moisture percentage. Makes it harder to handle though. Starting your oven hot will increase the "oven spring" and make your bread puff up.

I made some of the best bread I have made at home using a poolish like I just described and a preheated cast iron at 500 degrees. Crackly crust and very light interior, perfect european style boule.

Brioche is a good bun substitute, don't know if it will work with your weird flours or health plan.
By Moonchild
The closest I got to bread making is using bread maker, its a big money saver, considering I mostly eat whole-wheat bread.
Also, the results are better than what I would usually buy for a reasonable price, since I can use quality ingredients.
By Torus34
A simple thermostat-controlled proofer can be cob-housed together using a 'puter 'muffin' fan, [Ed.: 'Muffin' -- an appropriate name, nu?] a tropical fish tank thermostat with the glass casing removed, a 40W incandescent bulb and an appropriately-sized box. The box sides can be double-wall cardboard, pressboard, 1/4" ply or anything else that you have around.
By Nattering Nabob
Somebody tell me how to make yeast that keeps in the fridge that I can set out, add more stuff to, and grow more as I use it...and I would like to use packaged yeast as the starter...

Yeast is the most expensive thing about my bread...!$##@@%
By Bulaba Khan Jones
Nattering Nabob wrote:Yeast is the most expensive thing about my bread...!$##@@%

Really? I can get yeast packets for about $0.75. One packet is enough to make a whole large pizza or a few loaves of bread. How much are you paying for yeast?

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]