Bread. - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By The Clockwork Rat
Nattering Nabob wrote:Somebody tell me how to make yeast that keeps in the fridge that I can set out, add more stuff to, and grow more as I use it...and I would like to use packaged yeast as the starter...

Yeast is the most expensive thing about my bread...!$##@@%

Are you not a fan of sourdough? You can start that with raisins.
By Torus34
Keeping yeast.

A simple yeast culture can be easily maintained in, say, a quart mason jar at room temperature. Start by making a water/flour mixture of 1/4C whole wheat, 1/4 cup unbleached white flour and 3/8C water. Add a little of whatever yeast you're using and stir thoroughly. Instead of the normal mason jar lid, cover with a single layer of paper towel and secure by gently screwing the retaining ring into place. Keep out of direct sunlight.

Each day, feed the culture with 1/8C of each flour and enough water -- 'bout 3/16C -- to maintain a thick, easily stir-able consistency. Stir to mix thoroughly.

Each day the mix will rise and then fall as the nutrients are consumed and then the CO2 dissipates. Each day you'll have more culture. You'll need a cup of the mix for a loaf of bread.

When you've enough culture for baking:

1. Feed the mix with 1/4C of each flour and 3/8C water.
2. When the mix is rising strongly, start a new culture with about a half cup of it in a clean mason jar.
3. Use a cup of the culture for your bread. Discard what's left of the culture.
4. Continue to feed the new culture daily.
By Nattering Nabob
How much are you paying for yeast?

About the same...I'm just really cheap...
By Kon
There are a lot of ways to make a sourdough starter, using yeast is a quick method. As TCR mentioned, you can also start bread with the wild yeast present in raisins, I don't know if you could use them to start a leaven, but it's very likely. Some people use yogurt to kick start the process.

Sourdough acquires its flavour from wild yeasts, different starters will yield slightly different tasting breads.

fyi:
http://raisinyeastwater.com/2011/12/01/ ... ast-water/
http://carlsfriends.net/source.html

Also I buy big square blocks of yeast from a wholesaler for 7 bucks, one lasted me a year once.
By Nattering Nabob
Also I buy big square blocks of yeast from a wholesaler for 7 bucks, one lasted me a year once.

Amazon here I come...
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

International relations throughout history has bee[…]

@Scamp Bombing Mexico is the STUPIDIEST idea I[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Tainari88 @JohnRawls Trump is an extraordin[…]

No one is more manly than me. We know there is […]