Victoria 2: God Wills It! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For more mature forum members to ramble about things of no interest to students (DIY etc.).

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Fasces
Overview: This is a vanilla game of AHD Victoria 2, updated to the latest patch on Steam. Anyone is welcome to play, just declare that you're taking a turn and then post the results within 48 hours.

This game will be the Papal States.

This is our starting position in 1836. Not too bad, have 12,000 troops. We're within the French sphere of influence, so we don't have to worry about foreign aggressors too early. Problems I see and will aim to resolve in this ten year stretch are our low literacy rates, and our lack of manpower. To that end, I set out national focus in Rome to produce clergymen, and jack our education budget all the way up. I also put taxes and tariffs on 100% to raise as much money as possible to fund early expansion and industrialization.

Resource-wise we're all right. The Rome region has a great deal of fruit, and I predict Wine will dominate local industry there. Lazio has timber, which is a good early-game money maker. Overall, however, we are weak, and it is time to look elsewhere.

Jahore is an excellent source of income for the burgeoning empire. They have three gold producing provinces and one jungle timber producing province. We can use this to build luxury furniture in a few decades. I justify a war of annexation, and in June of 1837, the armies of God march on the native people.

At this point, my general strategy will be to beeline for education and research techs, with the aim of getting the minimum techs that enable African colonisation as quickly as possible. A vast colonial empire will provide us with the manpower to resist Italian expansionism, and perhaps turn it around. A huge problem with our Italian armies are their predisposition to align themselves with Girabaldi's Redshirts. My plan will be to use Italian troops to occupy foreign colonial provinces, and using colonial troops to protect the homeland.

Jahore doesn't put up much resistance. It is a short six-month war, and by December the Papal Empire has acquired it's first colony.

Elsewhere in Europe, France is engaged in a world war. This is potentially an issue, as we rely on French protection at home. Currently there is a rise if liberal agitation in Rome, and without any troops in Italy, this could be a problem. However, overall militancy is still quite low.

Giribaldi's Redshirts are already beginning to organize.

The rise in consciousness allows us to engage in a social reform. I choose a basic school system, both to attract immigrants, and aid in education efforts. If we want to compete in the tech-race, we need to educate as quickly as possible. During the five years between 1838-1842, our infamy goes down enough to pursue our second aquisiton. In this case, I chose a target closer to home.

Tunisia is a weak power, but produces fruit, and has a decent base to draw soldiers from. The war is brief, though the Tunisian scum attack us from behind and manage to secure Rome before I decide to mobilize troops to push them out. This is done quickly.

By 1843, the war is done. The next three years are quiet, though troops from the Magreb return home rather than Italians, who are far too comfortable with Giribaldi's Redshirts for my comfort. The Magrebi soldiers have no such political affiliations, so it is with armies of Moors that God's kingdom on Earth will defend itself.

In 1845, our literacy reaches 40%, from 35% in 1836. A push for political reform allows me to permit state-run unions, in accordance with the corporatist model promoted by the Papacy. This has the added benefit of enabling public support for social reform, which we can use to promote our education system.

The next ten years are up for grabs. If you choose to play, please indicate here that you are downloading the file. Turns will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.

http://rapidshare.com/files/865901304/P ... 6_01_03.v2
So aggressive, this pope of yours.

The war is brief, though the Tunisian scum attack us from behind and manage to secure Rome before I decide to mobilize troops to push them out. This is done quickly.

Papal abdication time? The good men and women should have his head.
I 've seen some forum-gaming like this before, but usually the players played a simpler game (they?) designed for forum-gaming, not a computer-game that's designed for digital online gaming.
How are you going to make this work ? Are players supposed to recreate the entire scenario every turn ?
(Most games use a bit of "random" so just making the scenarion and then giving the same orders may give different results)

edit: your download link doesn't work, btw.
By Rich
To paraphrase Churchill, Victoria 2 is the worst Grand Strategy game there is, accept for all the rest. I bought the main game when it first came out, when I was still using Windows. I did play it a bit a few months back on my (secondary) Windows hard drive and if they bring it out on Linux with all the add ons I might well buy it. But really its such a joke. It claims to be a soci- political- economic - cultural game from 1836 to 1930, but it has no race. The Pops have no race. As if the people of the Southern States were colour blind in the period. As if the American Civil War was a philosophical spat over subsidiarity. As if any of the European powers were colour blind in the period.
Last edited by Rich on 06 Sep 2014 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Rich wrote:To paraphrase Churchill, Victoria 2 is the worst Grand Strategy game there is, accept for all the rest. I bought the main game when it first came out, when I was still using Windows. I did play it a bit a few months back on my (secondary) Windows hard drive and if they bring it out on Linux with all the add ons I might well buy it. But really its such a joke. It claims to be a soci- political- economic - cultural game from 1836 to 1930, but it has no race. The Pops have no race. As if the people of the Southern States were colour blind in the period. As if the American Civil War was a philosophical spat over subsidiarity. As if any of the European powers were colour blind in the period.

Hearts of Iron 3 is a WWII sim with no Nazis.

Regardless, I love strategy games, particularly paradox games. But I can't play Vicky 2 anymore because the fan on my laptop is busted so it easily overheats.
By Rejn
I stopped playing computer games, but it always feels good to reminisce about that time when you conquered Japan, Korea and China as the Ryukyuan Empire with colonies stretching from Siberia through the West Pacific and Alaska. (EUIV)

The last game of EUIV I played was as England, and I usually (always) have problems with France but I was really lucky that time (understatement). After I decided to give up all of my French possessions (except Calais) in the Hundred Years War, France invaded Burgundy and incurred huge overextension. Basically everyone in Western and Central Europe was offended, and a coalition managed to release all of France's regions. Without any real resistance, I went on to vassalise Mainz, Trier, Cologne and the Palatinate, and was subsequently crowned Holy Roman Emperor.
I the last game of EUIV I played as Castile the game became un-winnable around about 1540 or so when although Castile had the largest trade income and the largest colonial empire, plus relatively tame inflation, the Burgundian colossus had swallowed all of France and large portions of the Hanseatic league, and kept declaring war on me no matter what I did. Since they were the largest nation in Europe at that time with manpower levels near the Ming empire, and colonial control over most of North America, and the Papacy well in hand (they kept ex-communicating Castile even though Castile was the Defender of the Faith at that point), so I gave up.
By Nunt
What a coincidence. Just started playing an EU4 game earlier this week as Brandenburg. Brandenburg was at that time a protestant member of the empire with Austria being Emporer. A religious war broke out in the Empire, but Brandernburg stayed out of it. As the war raged on, I managed to increase my diplomatic rating with the protestant electors. The protestants won eventually, the Austrian Emporer was abdicated and Brandenburg's ruler was elected Emporer. But the Empire is still pretty split between catholic and protestant kingdoms and I am too weak militarely to start conquering/liberating. So my Imperial authority is going nowhere. Another problem is that in forging alliances/royal mariages with electors, I don't have any really powerful allies. So my little coalition is pretty weak on the military front.
By Rejn
If you're emperor, you should be able to conquer all of those North German statelets and possibly Denmark with ease. As for allies, maybe just cop the dp penalty and get a big protestant ally even if you end up going over the limit.
I'm playing as Ottoman Empire in Victoria 2 with the PDM mod. I've lost nothing in Europe, and now rule from Tunis to Kabul. I still need to take Oman and Yemen, but they're in the British soi. I decided to go for the Islamic Empire event chain since I find it to be more plausible than any other path of preserving the empire.
Last edited by warsmith17 on 10 Dec 2015 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
This thread was supposed to manage a cooperative Vicky game but the project ended in a clusterfuck. Anyway following the new direction of this thread, my last Paradox game was EUIV. I was playing as Persia, Ming has somehow modernized and was uberstrong roflstomping everything in its path and somehow I got in war with them which went on for 68 years and it didn't ended there but I had to quit.

I couldn't bring war to their mainland and they will send an army or two every couple of years to Persia which will be pwned always but they will not agree to any peace offer no matter what.
I couldn't bring war to their mainland and they will send an army or two every couple of years to Persia which will be pwned always but they will not agree to any peace offer no matter what.

They were clearly just trying to keep you on your toes. You should have been grateful to them for their help in making you the best you can be. In your place, I would have sent their leader a diplomatic letter every time I crushed one of their invading armies politely thanking them for the live-fire training exercise for my troops.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls Why do you think that? If you were[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]